PDA

View Full Version : Family is concerned

skitzo444
08-12-2005, 05:38 PM
About 2 weeks ago I deposited 25 dollars on pokerroom right now I have 450. My mom and girlfriend talked to me last night about cashing out 400. They are worried I will lose that money and they don't understand at all. I know they shouldn't be concerned with my money management. but I do not need that money right now and I am not risking all 450 when I play...such as sitting at a 1-2 table with $50. They still don't understand why I don't just cash it out. But for instance if I do and am left with 50 if I want to play a 20 MTT I have no chance of making the money back but with 450 minus 20 I can earn the buyin back with a 2-4 or 3-6 table. What should I say to them to make them understand? Do they have a point??

shant
08-12-2005, 05:44 PM
This doesn't really belong in this forum, but it's hard for people who don't play poker to understand bankroll management. If you want to explain to them the whole deal about 300BB etc, you can try, but they sound like nagging women already so I doubt you'll suceed. Just keep doing what you're doing. Also, you should drop down to .5/1 until you have a bigger bankroll.

TripleH68
08-12-2005, 05:49 PM
When I was young my father had a lot of sayings.

One of them was "don't tell your mother."

callmedonnie
08-12-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I was young my father had a lot of sayings.

One of them was "don't tell your mother."

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right.

jason_t
08-12-2005, 05:53 PM
While their motives are far from correct, they should be getting you to think about bankroll management. One thing in particular is that you should not be playing at 2/4 and 3/6 tables with only $400 in your bankroll.

MagicMan08
08-12-2005, 05:58 PM
I think a large majority of the people play outside of their current bankrolls....its amazing.

deacsoft
08-12-2005, 06:22 PM
first of all it's your family. I would be worried about them if they were not worried about you. They love you and just want what's best for you. You can't expect them to understand because poker is just now getting popular and for many years was considered very taboo.
And as stated in many of the above posts, you should not be playing 1-2, 2-4, or 3-6. you should be at .50-1 and should try to stick to the 300BB mandate. Sure you could sit down at a 10-20 table win a couple hands and be up a few hundred. however that won't last and the next thing you know you will be cleaned out. If you can't understand that senario then they have more reasons to worry then you or them know about.

Goodnews
08-12-2005, 06:35 PM
tell them to shutup.

win 1000 mroe dollars and show it to them and ask then ask them if they were right to cash out the 400 x days/months/years ago.

spend more time with gf, she has something that is more worthwhile to win. interpret that any way you like /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Xhad
08-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Some time ago I deposited an intial $500 into PP which I eventually withdrew, now my only deposits are made for purposes of reload bonuses and I only play with profit (which I later withdraw after clearing the related bonus). Is this the type of situation you're in? If you're a winning player it seems it would be easy to get there if you're not already.

bobbyi
08-12-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a large majority of the people play outside of their current bankrolls....its amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is trivially true. The majority of people are losing players, so any game for real money is above their bankroll.

MikeNaked
08-13-2005, 02:30 AM
Withdraw $100 and buy your Mom something nice. When you hit $1k, get something sweet for your gf. Buy your political favors, just like they do in DC.

silkyslim
08-13-2005, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When you hit $1k

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he is running goot. 1k doubtful. Spend some time on micro-limit forum!!!
[ QUOTE ]
But for instance if I do and am left with 50 if I want to play a 20 MTT I have no chance of making the money back but with 450 minus 20 I can earn the buyin back with a 2-4 or 3-6 table

[/ QUOTE ]

pokerjoker
08-13-2005, 04:37 AM
think about what you want out of poker...for my first few months playing, poker started to affect my relationships/studies. I looked back on how much I played and learned if i was flipping burgers at McDonalds for the ammount of time I played(which i would never do...theres 10000000000 better ways to make money, but just theoretical) I would have made more money.

if you wanna have fun dont get addicted to the point it affects others.

If you wanna get rich then get really good and learn to control your mind so you can just pick up and put down poker easily (really [censored] difficult). Then think of it as a job.

PS your family/gf probably just cares about you..you have to analyze yourself to see if poker is +/- EV to your happiness, my guess would be playing a few less hours per week would probably be OK. GL

Sciolist
08-13-2005, 08:40 AM
She's about to inherit $1m? What's her number?