PDA

View Full Version : Cable/Satellite wiring compatibility question

jakethebake
08-12-2005, 04:39 PM
I just moved to a new house. The former occupant had satellite TV. Is the exisiting wiring in the house compatible with digital cable or does it need to have new wiring? The cable company says they need to rewire it. I suspect they're scamming me.

IndieMatty
08-12-2005, 04:46 PM
It's different wiring. Although I assume theres some pre-existing wiring somewhere. Cable will have to do some sort of work.

jakethebake
08-12-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's different wiring. Although I assume theres some pre-existing wiring somewhere. Cable will have to do some sort of work.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's different about it? I thought it was just RG-6 coaxial for either one?

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 04:50 PM
It will work just fine.

My guess is that they either want to run (and charge you for) the inside wiring, or they will only bring the signal to MPOE outside the house.

If you are fairly confident the inside wiring is in good shape (physically), you can most likely just 'tell them what they want to hear' on the phone and then work with the actual cable tech (who is not going to want to do redundant work) and have him patch it to the existing wiring.

IndieMatty
08-12-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's different about it? I thought it was just RG-6 coaxial for either one?

[/ QUOTE ]

The dude at radio shack told me last weekend. I don't remember.

usmfan
08-12-2005, 04:52 PM
The cable is probably the same (RG59 or RG6) but I don't know about the splitters or switches. What are they wanting to do?

WEASEL45
08-12-2005, 04:55 PM
this just happend to me. it needs new wiring if there wasnt cable in the house already

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
The cable is probably the same (RG59 or RG6) but I don't know about the splitters or switches. What are they wanting to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno. he told my wife he needed to "rewire". I suspect if i'd been there, we'd already have it done. i think he's just trying to take advantage of the fact that she has no idea and overcharge for some unnecesary crap.

IndieMatty
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm sorry Jake, the connections are what you need changed, the actual wire I dont know and it seems to be the same.

Sorry for the confusion. Go on Radioshack.com I saw some brief explanations there.

IndieMatty
08-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Our cable companies up here charge a flat fee unless they do something ridiculous.

CrazyEyez
08-12-2005, 05:44 PM
I went from digital cable to satellite - no re-wiring. I can't imagine why you wouldn't be fine as-is.

MrMon
08-12-2005, 05:51 PM
This raises the question of why you'd want digital cable over satellite? But I digress.

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 08:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This raises the question of why you'd want digital cable over satellite? But I digress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly because it's the way we're already set up. We have VOIP phone service. BellSouth doesn't offer naked DSL here so we'd have to pay for a phone line.

We have:
Cable
Cable Hi-Speed Internet
VOIP

We could get:
DTV
DSL
BellSouth

It's just easier to leaqve it the way we have it. Plus I've heard the satellite doesn't like our South Florida weather.