PDA

View Full Version : Success Challenge at 10/20: The road to 500BB - Weeks 5 & 6

Surfbullet
08-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Success Challenge at 10/20: Weeks 5 & 6

The 10/20 is becoming more comfortable to me - i've done (IMO) a good job adjusting to the increased aggression. However, I feel that I've been slowing down too early with good hands vs LAG players - encouraging players to keep betting when my hand is strong enough to reraise etc. A solid 2+2er i was talking shop with suggested the same thing.

So, I'm working on increasing value-bets/raises with moderate-strong hands, but still getting to showdown with bluff-catchers. However, this ends up with me overplaying some hands...and underplaying others.

Over:

Villain is aggressive. Not much else in the way of reads.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (9 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 14 BB

Under?:

Villain is 43/23/2

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls...

Under:

No stats on flop raiser - note says: "bluff raises 663 flop with Q8o HU. Likes to bluff."

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

River: (8.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Also, waves are looking great for the next few days. SO stoked.

Total for Week 5:
5,510 hands, -$892.34

Total for Week 6:
5,872 hands, +$1,772.20

Goal Status: started at -400, objective 500BB
Current: -109 BBs

Surf

ISF
08-12-2005, 04:34 PM
I would just call the river in hand 1;
I would raise the turn in hand 2, and I think hand 3 is a value bet.

Surfbullet
08-12-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would just call the river in hand 1;
I would raise the turn in hand 2, and I think hand 3 is a value bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my thinking as well. Another "post 'em so I don't make the same mistake" type thing.

Surf

7ontheline
08-13-2005, 12:06 AM
I agree with calling the river in hand 1. I know you know this, but to elaborate. . .almost no hand you beat is now going to call your raise. Even a J might slow down and call, but they still beat you. Clearly this player is playing like he is not scared of the paired board or flush on the board, so your overpair is unlikely to be good. He's got nothing or he has you beat.

Surfbullet
08-13-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with calling the river in hand 1. I know you know this, but to elaborate. . .almost no hand you beat is now going to call your raise. Even a J might slow down and call, but they still beat you. Clearly this player is playing like he is not scared of the paired board or flush on the board, so your overpair is unlikely to be good. He's got nothing or he has you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a number of middle pocket pairs, and 6's, that will play this way (up to the river). The river donk is very odd, and he will pay off a raise with 88 or A6 or somesuch. These types of players tend to pretty much ignore the to J's on the board and play like they were blanks.

Surf

7ontheline
08-13-2005, 12:26 AM
You have a point - it really depends on how aggressive he is and how willing he is to fold I guess. You raised him on every street - I don't see how he could call with a worse hand here, but there are still people who would pay off here I suppose.

Surfbullet
08-13-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You raised him on every street

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the most important part. IMO he will pay with a worse hand - but given the action, he will not have a worse hand very often when he bets into me again on the river.

Surf