PDA

View Full Version : cpu usage problems

tommo
08-12-2005, 04:21 PM
my cpu always runs at 50% capacity unless in safe mode.
In safe mode the cpu runs at 1-3% unless I run ANY program, then it jumps to 50%.

I've run the following scans on my computer:
symantec antivirus
ad-aware
spybot
spysweeper

After removing some things they all turn up clean and I still have this problem. I tried:
removing all programs I don't need
disc cleanup
defragmenting

I have about 1 gig of ram and a pretty fast computer. This problem started when I shipped my comp back from school. Any guesses on how I can fix it? occasionally the computer will just completely freeze up as well.

MyMindIsGoing
08-12-2005, 04:48 PM
You could save some cpu time by not running those four programs. If you take care of your computer and configure it you wont even need a firewall. Of cource if you think you got spyware/virus/etc then give it a scan, but running those things in the background slows any computer down. I do not think they eat all of that cpu but some of it.

If I were you I would unplug my computer from the internet and reinstall everything and configure the os and then plug it back in.

The key is not letting spyware/virus/etc into the computer in the first place.

tommo
08-12-2005, 04:59 PM
I don't run these programs in the background, I ran them twice, once to find and remove and once to make sure there were no more problems.

thank you for your help though. I think I'll probably just format and reinstall everything

MyMindIsGoing
08-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Stupid litte mistunderstanding by me. I read it as "I run the following scans on my computer" witch is not what it said apperently. Reformating is a good way to go though.

Wake up CALL
08-12-2005, 06:10 PM
Pull up your Windows task manager, click on "Processes" and see which are using your CPU cycles. Tell us the names of the offending process(s) and I can help.