PDA

View Full Version : Cheating in School poll

CollinEstes
08-12-2005, 04:15 PM
I was just reading so stories about how creative some people are when it comes to cheating in school. Since I am willing to bet ALOT of people here have cheated in school in their lifetimes I am wondering if anyone has any funny stories about it.

I also planned on cheating on my SAT scores and knew how to do it as well but I didn't end up having to because my true score was good enough for the school I wanted to go to.

I don't know if this is cheating but I had a professor last year that gave out our English final for a 4 hour period and we could come and go whenever we wanted throughout the 4 hours. This was an open note/book test but it had 3 essays at the end that we didn't know what they would be, pretty standard. So as soon as he gets it I look at the essays, get up walk over to the libarary and search the internet for information regarding those 3, came back with the summaries in my pocket and aced the exam.

08-12-2005, 04:56 PM
I wrote a history paper for someone that I took $40 for back in 11th grade. Is that cheating? I didn't think so. It worked out well for both of us.

I looked at it as capitalism at its finest. He required a paper, I required cash. We did a transaction that was mutually beneficial

jedi
08-12-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wrote a history paper for someone that I took $40 for back in 11th grade. Is that cheating? I didn't think so. It worked out well for both of us.

I looked at it as capitalism at its finest. He required a paper, I required cash. We did a transaction that was mutually beneficial

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say he cheated, but not you. He offered you $40 for a paper. You provided it. It's not your fault that he decided to turn it in as his own.

Vince Young
08-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Never on anything major, but of course I've cheated.

08-12-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say he cheated, but not you. He offered you $40 for a paper. You provided it. It's not your fault that he decided to turn it in as his own.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good way of looking at it, b ut I've also bought papers as well when I was too lazy to look at them, and I've sat there watching tv while the person wrote it. I see nothing wrong with it. It was just high school and it wasn't like I couldn't have done the papers myself. I know that it was cheating but I see nothing morally wrong with that. No one is harmed by it.

It's not like cheating in a relationship where someone gets harmed. No one really gets harmed in this except the place of learning, and [censored] them.

M2d
08-12-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I did the same thing to keep a teammate eligible (not for money, though). I consider it cheating on both of our parts.

MrMon
08-12-2005, 05:07 PM
I once had a prof in grad school who graded term papers based on the number of pages, footnotes, and sources. (No, really!) Made no difference what you wrote in the paper, he just counted the number of pages, footnotes, and sources and graded you on the count.

I wrote my paper, took an incomplete in the class, found out the "correct" count, and made sure my paper had them, even if I had to "create" them.

Cheating? Yeah, but so was he.

Soul Daddy
08-12-2005, 05:09 PM
I can't even begin to tell how many times I cheated in middle and high school. I was but a lazy degenerate. I recall getting caught with my Word Clues book sitting in plain view on my desk during a vocab quiz, so obviously nothing too creative.

I never cheated on anything in college. I suppose I actually took that seriously.

bdk3clash
08-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Never cheated on anything ever.

08-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?

CollinEstes
08-12-2005, 05:17 PM
In college my professor gave me my Brit Lit class a one essay final. She gave us the topic beforehand and we had to sit and write our essay using only our books as reference in a bluebook. I decided to type out my whole paper and then write it in a bluebook. I brought my already written paper and one empty bluebook.

At the beginning of class she walked around and looked inside everyone's book, but didn't mark on them at all. So needless to say I made the switch about an hour in and had to sit there for 2 hours fake writing. But it was worth it.

I guess I am a bad person.

M2d
08-12-2005, 05:18 PM
nit /images/graemlins/smile.gif

M2d
08-12-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes thems is

tdarko
08-12-2005, 05:21 PM
thats a lot of "no's," i always thought cheating in school was like masturbation, everyone has done it. i think some people that answered "no" might not realize they cheated b/c it wasn't a big deal.

CollinEstes
08-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Agreed. I can't remember a class that I haven't thought out cheating (but i don't always go through with it).

Easiest thing in the world is my graphing calculator, that thing is like an electronic cheatsheet.

bdk3clash
08-12-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thats a lot of "no's," i always thought cheating in school was like masturbation, everyone has done it. i think some people that answered "no" might not realize they cheated b/c it wasn't a big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I actually never cheated on anything.

But I did masturbate a ton.

goofball
08-12-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I never cheated on anything in college. I suppose I actually took that seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually surprised (and saddened) that there are so many yes's. Was school really that hard? I guess this is why as a hiring manager, I never but a lot of value in an applicants 'schooling'.

Smoked a joint inside the ball-closet in 6th grade: Yes
Cheated: No

Where is that illegitimate little punk baby jesus when you need him?

tdarko
08-12-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
'm actually surprised (and saddened) that there are so many yes's. Was school really that hard?

[/ QUOTE ]
no school wasn't hard but i guess i am one of the few that partied waaaay too much (high school and college).

quick question: if you have an organic chemistry exam at 8 in the morning and you had been out all night and get back to your apt hammered at about 6 in the morning and you have only attended about ten percent of the classes so you have really no idea whats on the test, what would you do? organinc (for me at least, you may be a rocket scientist liek PDPG) wasn't a class where you learn 6 chapters drunk in an hour or two.

CollinEstes
08-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Hey Thin I have a legitamate question for you. I don't know what industry you are a hiring manager in but if a person was smart enough to never get caught cheating and made it through college with a 4.0 would you be more inclined to hire a person with a 2.5 that never cheated. (assuming all other areas of the canidate are equal)

Not trying to validate what I have done, I know it isn't right to cheat.

The Goober
08-12-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I "cheated" like crazy in college. I put it in quotes because I don't think its cheating, but it was against the rules. What I did was work together with my friends on assignments when we weren't supposed to collaborate at all. Its not like I was copying anyone's work - we just used our collective brainpower to solve some of the tougher problems. We got [censored] a couple times when we managed to collectively come up with the wrong answer.

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Thin I have a legitamate question for you. I don't know what industry you are a hiring manager in but if a person was smart enough to never get caught cheating and made it through college with a 4.0 would you be more inclined to hire a person with a 2.5 that never cheated. (assuming all other areas of the canidate are equal)

Not trying to validate what I have done, I know it isn't right to cheat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, experience/qualifications being equal, I would choose the honest (the 2.5) candidate whom is less likely to rip me off, over the dishonest one (4.0).

Granted, I would never have this information (that they cheated) unless they where dumb enough to offer it.

08-12-2005, 05:43 PM
School???

Many

CollinEstes
08-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Yeah I don't think doing assignments with classmates should be considered cheating because if they really wanted you to do it all alone then it should be an in-class assignment.

I have never cheated on a professor that I respected. I think most professors are really really lazy at least where I went to school.

CollinEstes
08-12-2005, 05:46 PM
That is what I would do as well but I think that they person that found a way to get those As either legit or not is a smarter person. But that doesn't make them a better employee or anything.

Crimson
08-12-2005, 05:49 PM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/examcheat.html

gorie
08-12-2005, 05:50 PM
like, not anything big. um maybe in vocab class, we would all like just like write in words that someone else already did the work for and share and stuff. so we wouldn't like have to each do it cuz it would be sorta dumb when it's like already done by someone and you just have to write the word that completes the sentence or something. stuff like that i don't think is a big deal because its like just words!!

Crimson
08-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Gorie, with the way you speak, you most definantly should not have cheated in vocabulary class. Or grammer, or english.....

gorie
08-12-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gorie, with the way you speak, you most definantly should not have cheated in vocabulary class. Or grammer, or english.....

[/ QUOTE ]
are you trying to be funny on an advanced level ? i can't tell. but i'll assume so, because you got me. i won't fall for the setup though. i won't !

Evan
08-12-2005, 06:03 PM
I did a friend's final project for AP Stats when I was a junior in high school. He would buy and bring me breakfast in class each morning for the last 2 months of school. I pretty much just used my rough drafts, changed the numbers around and cleaned it up to look nice.

It was a good deal.

goofball
08-12-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I "cheated" like crazy in college. I put it in quotes because I don't think its cheating, but it was against the rules. What I did was work together with my friends on assignments when we weren't supposed to collaborate at all. Its not like I was copying anyone's work - we just used our collective brainpower to solve some of the tougher problems. We got [censored] a couple times when we managed to collectively come up with the wrong answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

we were encouraged to work together.

spamuell
08-12-2005, 06:28 PM
I voted No but actually I realise that I did cheat. Not on anything major though and not often.

beernutz
08-12-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you do in Irony 101?

BillNye
08-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Does it count if the whole class was cheating off me (person next to me cheats off me, person next to that person cheats off that person) at one point during science my whole class had A's.

SmileyEH
08-12-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Never on anything major, but of course I've cheated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bulldog
08-12-2005, 07:47 PM
Once I looked at a kid's test and saw he spelled "a lot" as one word so I knew he was too dumb for me to cheat off of.