PDA

View Full Version : Going to get supplies to liquor myself up...

xadrez
08-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Going to a 2 day BBQ-fest and have decided to bring a bottle of single malt.

Suggest a nice brand thats not too, too steep in price since most of the drunken animals at this extravaganza wont appreciate it anyway. I on the other hand will...fire away and TIA

MrMon
08-12-2005, 04:20 PM
I can think of lots of good single malts at a reasonable price.

I can't think of one I'd be willing to share with drunks at a BBQ. Some things are just sacred.

kevyk
08-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Cragganmore (Speyside), Oban (Highlands), and Bowmore (Islay) are all good and all approximately $40/bottle.

If you appreciate scotch and DON'T want your friends to drink it, get the Bowmore. It's very good, but like all Islay scotches, it tastes a lot like smoke and seawater.

Oban is on the sweet side with some spicy notes. Generally a good, solid Highland malt.

Cragganmore is my favorite scotch in this price range. It's a Speyside, so it's not as sweet as a typical highland. It smells quite floral, tastes nice and malty, and has a nice finish. Highly recommended.

If you want to spend a bit more, get MacCallan 18. Pure bliss.

MrWookie47
08-12-2005, 04:35 PM
I really enjoy Balvanie Double Wood, but for your crowd, I might just bring Johnny Walker Red and call it good (if you insist on Scotch). Single malts are great for enjoying, not for just getting sloshed. If drinking is about the desination, not the journey, don't waste a good single malt.

xadrez
08-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think Im going to try the Cragganmore. Sounds good and Ive never had it.

Off to the liquor store...

The Goober
08-12-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Suggest a nice brand thats not too, too steep in price since most of the drunken animals at this extravaganza wont appreciate it anyway. I on the other hand will...fire away and TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

Just be prepared not to wince too much as you watch one of said drunken animals pour your scotch over ice and mix it with coke.