PDA

View Full Version : Hutchison point system or Wilson Texas Turbo ? Omaha Hi

08-12-2005, 02:47 PM
OMAHA HI

http://erh.homestead.com/omaha.html

I don't know how to use Wilson TT count for Omaha Hi but the Hutchison point count system seems a little off to me. I get 31 points for A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif Am I right ?

1 point for 6 high flush draw.
18 points for pair of aces
6 points for 6 4 straight possibility ( 8 pts - 2 pts for gap)
6 points for A4 wheel card combo .

Now, I didn't deduct 4 points to account for the ace in straight possibilities because I didn't use the ace. I used 6 and the 4. Am I doing it right ? To me, the system is written so that you subtract 4 points from the 25, 18, or 8 pt possibilities but it's assumed in the last part because we were talking about wheel cards. So I get 31.

I'm new to omaha , though. Is this a good hand ? Maybe it is.

sy_or_bust
08-12-2005, 04:02 PM
I'd strongly recommend not using any system whatsoever. Play cards that "make sense", loosen up from middle/late position in multiway pots, raise for multiway value, etc. You want all your cards to work together, and you shouldn't consider a 6-high flush draw to be worth anything when you call preflop. In limit, you will never draw to make this hand, and only very rarely show it down made.

So what makes sense? JJT9 is decent, suited or not, JJ29 doublesuited is trash. The 2 is a "dangler" that does absolutely nothing for your hand, so you are playing with 3 mediocre cards instead of 4 and should fold. Note that you will rarely draw to the J-high flush draw, and never in isolation. If you are looking at flush draws, make sure they are A-high or K-high with other possibilities.

e.g. A6sATs is playable in a lot of spots, while K6sKTs is not, though KQsKJs is good. AA65 is trash. Maybe worth a bet behind a boatload of limpers in LP (the only way it can win is with a weak straight or set of aces).

Really, just play hands that work together to make strong hands. You don't need a system, nor will you learn anything from one.

Shandrax
08-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Weird, but some time ago I hit on a different Hutchinson system. Did not compare both counts yet, so I can't tell if this is basically the same stuff.

http://www.thepokerforum.com/omahasystem.htm

Quicksilvre
08-14-2005, 07:24 PM
First, point systems like this are almost always bad. It prevents critical thinking in hand selection.

Second, this hand is only okay. I'd take a flop with this one, especially if it's cheap, but if I don't get a set or the nut straight (not likely, that last one) I'd check-fold from there. You can't make a profitable flush with these cards, and a lot of the two-card combinations here are poorly coordinated.

08-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Thanks for that other link about hutchison's system. It is a very similar system except for the way it evaluates straights. The link you gave is a better system in my opinion as it evaluates coordinated cards with higher ranks with more points. I always wondered how a 5678 and a 9TJQ could have the same number of points.

KenProspero
08-16-2005, 11:34 PM
I don't play Omaha Hi much, but have recommended Hutchinson's Hold 'em system for friends starting out there.

My observations -- Hutchinson's greatest strength is that it can be memorized in minutes. Also, if followed, in HE, you'll be playing VERY tight.

The disadvantage, is that because it is a simplified system, it will keep you away from many hands that you can play profitably IF you know what you're doing. (in Hold 'em, you play many fewer suited connectors than I like)

I assume we have the same basic strengths and weaknesses for Omaha too.

Overall, I like it as an explanation for beginner players, but experience is better.