PDA

View Full Version : Was this too aggressive on the flop?

Vee Quiva
08-12-2005, 01:35 PM
$33 Sit at Party. 5 players left. Blinds 50-100.
I am in middle position with 99. I am chip leader with 1800. Opponent is tight aggressive and in 2nd place with 1600.

Opponent directly in front of me raises preflop to 300. I call and everyone else folds.

750 in pot and 2 players to flop
Jack /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Opponent leads out for 400. I raise to 800. My opponent reraises all in for 500 more. It's 500 more to me and the pot is 2850. I have 700 left if I fold. I have to call right?

the_joker
08-12-2005, 01:40 PM
I'd fold every time it was your turn to act.

ldavidjm
08-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Your stack is too shallow to be playing this hand postflop. You don't really have odds to play for set value. Therefore I think you either have to push preflop or fold. If he's a tight player I'd lean toward folding.

When you just smooth call preflop, you need to push/fold after his flop bet. Just minraising really sucks.

The way you played it I call his reraise and pray for a 9 to come.

EnderFFX
08-12-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$33 Sit at Party. 5 players left. Blinds 50-100.
I am in middle position with 99. I am chip leader with 1800. Opponent is tight aggressive and in 2nd place with 1600.

Opponent directly in front of me raises preflop to 300. I call and everyone else folds.

750 in pot and 2 players to flop
Jack /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Opponent leads out for 400. I raise to 800. My opponent reraises all in for 500 more. It's 500 more to me and the pot is 2850. I have 700 left if I fold. I have to call right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad call with 99. Basically you are hoping for a 9 on the flop or a low board. And what do you do on a low board when your opponent bets out anyway?

You are stuck. If you fold you are at 700, and can possibly make a comeback. If you are 100% sure opponent has a jack (or an overpair/set) you need to fold, if you think there is a chance he is bluffing, you have to call.

I'm calling then kicking myself afterword.

Vee Quiva
08-12-2005, 01:55 PM
I actually posted this hand from the point of view of my Opponent. I am the tight aggressive player who raised first.

The funny thing is, I had Ace /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Queen /images/graemlins/diamond.gif I made a continuation bet and got min raised. I had the odds to call for the flush and the over cards.

Here's where I think I screwed up. I figured, if I call the raise I only have 500 left so I might as well go all in.

Looking back, if I just call the raise and just bet the turn, I have better fold equity. Is that a better line?

downtown
08-12-2005, 02:38 PM
with the A/images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif on this board, I would advocate getting your chips in the middle on the flop, as you are the favorite (though barely) against 99 here. I hate pushing on the non /images/graemlins/diamond.gif turn. Your opponent will call anyway, unless they are really bad.