PDA

View Full Version : Flopped top boat.

kongo_totte
08-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Villian is 54/16 after 30 hands and quite aggressive post-flop aswell.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($96.45)
MP3 ($52.65)
CO ($56.55)
Button ($45.50)
SB ($57.65)
BB ($154.65)
UTG ($48.25)
UTG+1 ($62.25)
UTG+2 ($44)
MP1 ($27.80)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $4.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $18</font>, Button folds, BB calls $13.

Flop: ($38.25) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($48.25) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

River: ($58.25) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>, BB calls $20.

Final Pot: $108.25

Thoughts? How is the size of the river raise? Does anyone prefer a min.raise to give him a chance to bluff at it?

xorbie
08-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Not pushing somewhere makes me cry a little. The river is a good place, the turn is also a good place.

kongo_totte
08-12-2005, 03:29 PM
I doubt a push will be called by anything I beat. I really think he has [censored] and I figured the only way I get any money is by letting him be the aggressor.

kevkev60614
08-12-2005, 03:34 PM
I would've raised the turn to $30. And then probably sob violently when he folded.

GoCubsGo
08-12-2005, 03:38 PM
The only way he calls is with the case A or 9. I think villain most likely has KK and OP played it just fine.

TheIrishThug
08-12-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would've raised the turn to $30. And then probably sob violently when he folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

i second this. at first i was thinking betting a little less. but if he's calling at all he'll call that.

here is a good chance that his pp just got him a boat. with all that action, i'be be surprised if he had 9x. and if he does, u lost with the 2nd nuts. it sucks but u can't do much about it. much more likely he has KK QQ or even AK, all of which u beat.

xorbie
08-12-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only way he calls is with the case A or 9. I think villain most likely has KK and OP played it just fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 6 ways to make KK, 4 ways to make AK. It's not that far off. I push this river a lot.

ryanghall
08-12-2005, 04:15 PM
You have to make a move somewhere and I think the turn is the best place.

Raise the turn and get it all in on the river.

jhall23
08-12-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt a push will be called by anything I beat. I really think he has [censored] and I figured the only way I get any money is by letting him be the aggressor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing the river is fun. People call "to chop" way to often. I wouldn't be suprised to get a call from any A here. A 55 VP$IP can have many Ax hands here. For that reason I think raising the turn is good too.

As for this hand in a vacuum if he didn't have an A you may have indeed gotten the max from him, but I think you are misjudging how often someone calls a raise once a naked A makes a full house here.

xorbie
08-12-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given this PF action, he has at least an A, unless he is way beyond LAG and into "retarded maniac" mode.

kongo_totte
08-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Almost everyone seems to think there will be a river if i raise the turn, I don't think so. Note that I'm not afraid of a 9 and would be willing to go all in on any street. However, there is one A left in the deck. He is almost as likely to have that ace as he is to have quads (considering his pre-flop looseness and agg). As I said, he is very aggro post-flop and I would not be surprised to face a big bet from him somewhere on a pure bluff. I can see pushing the river to confuse him into calling w/ KK-TT, but until then, as I said, he is unlikely to put anymore in when I am the aggressor.

xorbie
08-12-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Almost everyone seems to think there will be a river if i raise the turn, I don't think so. Note that I'm not afraid of a 9 and would be willing to go all in on any street. However, there is one A left in the deck. He is almost as likely to have that ace as he is to have quads (considering his pre-flop looseness and agg). As I said, he is very aggro post-flop and I would not be surprised to face a big bet from him somewhere on a pure bluff. I can see pushing the river to confuse him into calling w/ KK-TT, but until then, as I said, he is unlikely to put anymore in when I am the aggressor.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all good and well, but by the time you get to the river, there is no huge bluff. Trust me, he isn't going to bluff 3-bet this river after betting so small. He either has a hand and wants to see showdown or has nothing and wants to see a fold. Given that the second isn't happening, make the first expensive, especially because this guy is loose enough and agressive enough to talk himself into calling.

punter11235
08-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Wow man you are passive...
You really should not get to showdown too often with your strongest hands.. and if you get there it should be for all your money.
Not going allin somewhere is terrible.
Just raise, reraise somewhere, represent AK (or AQ) if Villain doesnt have it beat you wont win much anyway if he has it beat you are leaving good money at the table playing as you did...

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone prefer a min.raise to give him a chance to bluff at it?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is advance concept. You really dont need advanced concepts at these stakes. What you need are simple concepts. And the simplest concepts of all is betting hard against people who hate to fold (majority of lowlimit players).

Best wishes

Jocke_F
08-12-2005, 06:48 PM
raise/push somewhere, with your line why not just push the river, I can't see him calling that raise with anything but the ace or a nine anyway.

teamdonkey
08-12-2005, 07:02 PM
i think you extracted all the money from this hand you could. there's only one A and one 9 left in the deck, most of the time he has neither. from the preflop action its much more likely he has JJ-KK, and you played this hand in a way that would extract the most from an aggressive player with these hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Just raise, reraise somewhere, represent AK (or AQ) if Villain doesnt have it beat you wont win much anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

funny, looks to me like he won half a buy in on the river alone.

kongo_totte
08-12-2005, 07:07 PM
I can see pushing the river, but as I have stated he is unlikely to have any kind of a hand and aggression before river would have most likely pushed him out. Also, to everyone who is for the line "I must get all in somewhere etc", I am not sure. What we are looking for is the optimum number of "bet size+call%". Of course, NLHE is a game where you're looking to stack people, but, for example (and I am not saying this is the situation in OP):

To simplify: If I am 99% certain he will call 1/5 of stack and 99% he will fold to a push and I only have those two options, obviously, betting 1/5 of stack is the correct play.

Or am I missing some heavy meta-game issue here?

OP might not be this situation, but I often see posts where someone (sometimes me) is berated for not getting it all in when they have the nuts with the argument of "in NL you win money, not pots" or the like, and I sometimes feel that everything in poker is just a matter of EV in any given situation. I'd rather win $1 in 120 consecutive pots than $100 every 100 pots. (Forgive me if I'm rambeling).

Anyway, he had KK.