PDA

View Full Version : AA live hand

TommyO
08-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Live $4/$8 hand at Canterbury.

I have A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif in the big blind. 6 limpers and small blind completes. I've been running horribly with big pocket pairs lately so I decide to simply check and see what flops before putting more money in. I also felt that checking could help me extract more bets on later streets if I get a good flop.

Flop is 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I bet, all fold to small blind who raises. I re-raise to make him pay the max if he's on a draw.

Villian 4 bets. Do I need to let this hand go at this point?

Turn is Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif. bet/call.

River is 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I feel like I need to raise this but I'd hate to get re-raised and have to fold so I simply call.

I feel like if I can't get myself to bet the river when the perfect card comes then I should have folded to the flop 4 bet. Did I misplay every street?

paperboyNC
08-12-2005, 01:29 PM
If he flopped the nut straight, the river didnt help you anyways, right? I like the check/call on the river even if he did have a set or two pair.

sfer
08-12-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I re-raise to make him pay the max if he's on a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't you do that when you knew you had the nuts?

HolyBejeesus
08-12-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been running horribly with big pocket pairs lately so I decide to simply check and see what flops before putting more money in. I also felt that checking could help me extract more bets on later streets if I get a good flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. What is a "good" flop? One where you hit a set? Are you planning on check-folding if the flop comes 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif?

The rest is ok... a read would be nice.

W. Deranged
08-12-2005, 01:34 PM
Why the hell didn't you raise pre-flop?

Think about it any of the following ways. Or, choose two-three options and you can form a sort of sampler platter.

1. You have the best possible hand at this point.
2. You are the most likely winner, and are making money on every single dollar that goes into the pot.
3. Any deception value you gain on later streets in extremely muted by the fact that you are playing live $4/8 where many players don't pay attention any way.
4. How likely are you really to make more in bets on later streets because of deception than you are going to make RIGHT NOW by simply betting with the best hand?
5. Your hand plays well in raised pots against numerous opponents because of set potential.

Seriously, dude. Raise this pre-flop. Any kind of argument about how "it's better to see the flop and then decide" or "you need to mix up your play" or "I've been running bad" or "I wanted to disguise my hand" is stupid and lame.

Evan
08-12-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Turn is Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif. bet/call.

[/ QUOTE ]
So he check raised the turn after he 4 bet the flop? Pretty sick if he did.

TommyO
I often don't raise from the big blind with a big pocket pair. No one is going to fold for one more bet (at least in the games I play in) and I can extract many bets from people overplaying their top pair.

chief444
Oh my. No other comment.

chief444
08-12-2005, 01:38 PM
I played a lot with a guy once who was absolutely convinced that you should only raise preflop with AA and only if on the button. But then, he sort of sucked at poker.

shant
08-12-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I often don't raise from the big blind with a big pocket pair. No one is going to fold for one more bet (at least in the games I play in) and I can extract many bets from people overplaying their top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is where that sound plays like someone just put their hand on the record on the turntable and the needle went flying off it and everyone in the forum turns around like what the

TommyO
08-12-2005, 01:41 PM
Ok, I guess I'm stupid and lame. Thanks.

TommyO
08-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Very helpful. Thanks.

chief444
08-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Raise preflop. Helpful enough?

Call the river.

sfer
08-12-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These are good reasons to raise preflop.

TommyO
08-12-2005, 01:50 PM
For the record, the big blind is the only place I would consider not raising AA.

TommyO
08-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Yes, that's more helpful. Thanks.

TommyO
08-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Alright, I'm convinced. I think sometimes I get a little too tricky for my own good. Thanks everyone for setting me straight.

W. Deranged
08-12-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I guess I'm stupid and lame. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should of course be noted that I used those adjectives to describe the arguments, not the people making them...

I don't mean to sound too obnoxious, but it is very important to point out the gravity of the error.

W. Deranged
08-12-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is where that sound plays like someone just put their hand on the record on the turntable and the needle went flying off it and everyone in the forum turns around like what the

[/ QUOTE ]

Shant wins this thread.

deetle
08-12-2005, 11:43 PM
QUOTE--I've been running horribly with big pocket pairs lately so I decide to simply check and see what flops before putting more money in.
__________________________________________________ __________
How you have been running should have no effect on your decision. As has been said pleanty of times you make money every time you make the proper decisions.

Quote- I also felt that checking could help me extract more bets on later streets if I get a good flop.
I bet, all fold to small blind
__________________________________________________ __________

Exactly why you need to make them pay preflop