PDA

View Full Version : What causes gambling addiction?

Alpha13
08-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Some people can't gamble enough, they seem to be able to play for as long as they are awake. How do you guys think they are able to maintain an interest in playing for so long? I ask because I have the opposite problem, I can't put in enough hours. I play 2-3 hours a day and poker is my only income (live at home student) I don't want to get addicted to gambling but I would like to feel the same strong "urge" to play as the addicts do so I can put in more hours. I hope this doesn't sound crazy /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks

08-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Addiction has very little to do with how much you play and more to do with your personal relationship to the activity.

Here is an example of a "Signs of Problem Gambling" list that I think is pretty good.

http://www.miph.org/gambling/signs.html

- Increasing the frequency of gambling activity.
- Increasing the amount of money gambled.
- Spending an excessive amount of time gambling at the expense of job or family time.
- Being preoccupied with gambling or with obtaining money with which to gamble.
- Gambling creates a special and intense pleasure, an aroused sense of being in "action."
- Continuing to gamble despite negative consequences such as large losses, financial problems, absence from work, or family problems caused by gambling.
- Gambling as a means to cope with loneliness, anger, stress, depression, etc.
- "Chasing" - the urgent need to keep gambling--often with larger bets--or the taking of greater risks in order to make up for a loss or series of losses.
- Borrowing money to gamble, taking out secret loans, cashing in or borrowing on life insurance policies, or maximizing credit cards.
- Bragging about wins but not talking about losses.
- Frequent mood swings, higher when winning, lower when losing.
- Gambling for longer periods of time or more money than originally planned.
- Secretive behavior such as hiding lottery tickets and betting slips, having mail, bills, etc., sent to work, a P.O. Box, or other address.

IMHO, the 3 biggest concerns should be chasing, rapidly increasing the amounts bet, and secretive behavior.

Two examples

1) At a 2-4 table I saw a guy buy in for $40 10 times in the span of 3 hours. Each time it looked like he was tortured doing so. When I see someone do that, I know what they are thinking. They went in with a plan to buy in for $40, but knowing that they may buy in again - but then they somehow rationalize bringing the rest, but saying to themselves that they won't use it for poker.

2) A friend's roommate started playing online at the beginning of this school year. He is a rich kid and has a fair amount of disposible income - so he bankrolled himself $5000. He started at the 5-10 tables. He was doing so well that he moved up - within 8 months, he was playing 200-400 shorthanded and wanted to keep moving up. He got his bankroll up to almost $80,000 at its highest - last I heard, it was down to about $25,000. He also said to my friend one time "I want to go to Atlantic City this weekend. Will you come with me? I will pay all your expenses and give you $500 to play poker with." That spells trouble to me.

NYplayer
08-14-2005, 11:43 AM
in example 2. 45K is not a major loss for 200-400. just over 100bbs. i have downswings like this regularly. as for AC. If he has the money and would much rather take the trip with a friend why not? i never go to vegas alone. even if i plan on playing a ton of poker. its nice to have someone to have meals with and spend non poker time with.

CaptSensible
08-14-2005, 02:39 PM
I'm going to assume that you don't REALLY want to be a poker addict but that you'd like to play a little more to increase your winnings. I'm going to forgoe my whole "addiction" schpeal. If you find that you do have a problem with poker post again I'll give you my whole addiction schpeal. That being said:

I can't play for hours on end when I'm playing online. Can't do it. That's why I play SnGs. I can play only three at most and usually just one or two at a time. Put me in a live cardroom though and I can play for H O U R S.
You might want to head to a local cardroom, if you're of legal age, and see if that works better for you.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the majority of people who play every waking hour are doing it to the neglect of themselves and their lives. I'm speaking generally here so let's not start a flame war.
You don't want to be one of those people.

08-14-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He also said to my friend one time "I want to go to Atlantic City this weekend. Will you come with me? I will pay all your expenses and give you $500 to play poker with." That spells trouble to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spells P.R.O.F.I.T. to me. I accept his offer.

08-14-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What causes gambling addiction?

[/ QUOTE ]

Laziness.

winky51
08-14-2005, 03:09 PM
I tend to agree, I can play live for 8 hours no problem. But in front of the PC 4 tables of 3/6, 2 tables of 5/10 SH or 2 tables of $200 NL... is my max for 2-3 hours at a time. More than that my brain goes numb.

I dont know what causes the gambling addiction. My guess its the rush when you win is overwhelming for them, like an orgasm. Some serial killers have their brains wired that way where when they do kill it is like an amazing sexual experience. Might sound silly but its true. Maybe something like this affects the gamblholics.

Ironically as soon as I started playing poker I stopped playing blackjack and craps. No interest. But I rarely gambled anyways.

08-14-2005, 03:39 PM
I was having a conversation with a friend of mine (who I believe is an addicted gambler), and he inadvertently spelled out the exact source of his problem. He wants to be rich, doesn't care how he does it, and doesn't want to put in a lot of work doing it. All I told him was that you can't get rich without hard work, unless you're stupid or lucky. Conversation over.

miajag81
08-14-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What causes gambling addiction?

[/ QUOTE ]

Laziness.

[/ QUOTE ]

And greed.

Bodhi
08-15-2005, 03:25 AM
Having no future.

08-15-2005, 08:42 AM
Its his overall behavior that is troubling. He has moved up in stakes EXTREMELY quickly - which tends to be an indication of a person who is looking for the thrill of winning big money. He has moved up to 40X his original amount in less than 8 months - that, to me, is an indication of an addictive behavior.

Like I said, its not the amount of time that you play - it is your personal relationship to the activity that indicates if you are an addict.

08-15-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the majority of people who play every waking hour are doing it to the neglect of themselves and their lives. I'm speaking generally here so let's not start a flame war.
You don't want to be one of those people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen