PDA

View Full Version : And another KK hand

Heimdal
08-12-2005, 12:48 PM
400NL - 8-handed

Players involved have $400. Aggressive and a little crazy player opens minimum in HJ. I make it $30 with K /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif. Good tight perhaps a little passive BB calls. This is a big hand TT+, AK. HJ calls. Flop is 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, pot $90. They check to me. I decide to check. Good/bad? I didnt want to get raised of my hand by a draw.
Turn is an offsuit 6. The BB bets $80, HJ fold. I raise all in...?

08-12-2005, 12:53 PM
I'd rather bet about 60 on the flop and find out where I'm at. If you just get flat called, most likely you are against an overpair with a diamond. Overbet again on a safe turn.

By him betting 80 on the turn, you're pretty much committed to the pot if you call it. You don't know if he's putting out a desperation bet hoping someone will pay off his made flush here. You're pretty much in the dark because you choose to do so by checking the flop.

* Street Fighter *

sekrah
08-12-2005, 01:04 PM
I *HATE* the push on the turn.. I don't think that's a good play, you're only getting called if your beat.

I like the other posters thoughts.. Fire a $60 bet on the flop to find out where you're at..

If you get min-raised or something, I'd bail. If you get called, this is where it gets interesting.. I disagree with the other poster on what villain might have here.

He could very well be check-calling with made nut flush.. He's likely going to check the turn. Fire another $60. If you get raised, bail.

I like keeping the pot as small as possible on this tricky flop, while still retaining some initiative.

Don't like the check on the flop, and don't like the all in on the turn.

mgsimpleton
08-12-2005, 01:06 PM
you checked the flop as not to get pushed off by a draw (assuming you would fold if raised all in because a draw COULD be a made hand) yet on the turn when someone bets into you you decide you are ahead and push. the only time you will get called by a push from a worse hand (a draw) IS on the flop. do you see the huge error in your reasoning there?

mythrilfox
08-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Most people don't raise with a bare ace here, BB doesn't sound like the kind of player who's going to overplay a bare ace draw. HJ might but I don't see it very often, even from slightly crazy players. Giving a free card here on the flop is pretty bad and obviously the turn push is bad.

Heimdal
08-12-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you checked the flop as not to get pushed off by a draw (assuming you would fold if raised all in because a draw COULD be a made hand) yet on the turn when someone bets into you you decide you are ahead and push. the only time you will get called by a push from a worse hand (a draw) IS on the flop. do you see the huge error in your reasoning there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Thank you. This is something I do to much

BobboFitos
08-12-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Although this is true, it still doesn't mean OP didn't make the correct move on the turn.

if villain folds all worse hands, (most, like QdQc or whatnot) it's fine, because villain has a good amount of equity.

if we call those same hands dont rate to lose too much more, but you can cost yourself the pot if a 4th D falls, for example. (or underset out)

plus if OP makes the move on the flop, (as in gets it all in) those worse hands have ~11 outs, making him only a slight equity favorite. if he was going broke t the better hands (either freerolling KK or AA) it's better to wait for the turn, imo...

I like how this was played - duck - you suggest betting the flop? I no likey.

fisherman112
08-12-2005, 06:04 PM
the flop check in position is ok after reraising preflop. it's worth doing occassionally simply to allow you to do the same thing when you have A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifk /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. although at 2/4 people arent going to be semibluffing oop into a reraiser that much so betting the flop is probably better.
the turn push makes no sense for the reasons everyone else stated

anduril
08-12-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if villain folds all worse hands, (most, like QdQc or whatnot) it's fine,

[/ QUOTE ]

how is that fine? You want villain to fold an 11 outer with 1 card to come for all his money?

BobboFitos
08-12-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if villain folds all worse hands, (most, like QdQc or whatnot) it's fine,

[/ QUOTE ]

how is that fine? You want villain to fold an 11 outer with 1 card to come for all his money?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it's better then caling and giving up ~25% of the pot when he would've folded... you see?

By pushing you force him to make a mistake (incorrect call) whereas calling here you can make the potential mistake on the riv.

let me reclarify, obviously if/when i push i want him to call with an inferior hand w/o pot odds all that good stuff. but even if he folds, thats fine, (I say) because I dont htink you'll make up "X" (which is ~25% of the pot, the cost of a free 11 outer) if you call and have him bluff/bet for value worse hands on last street

Heimdal
08-13-2005, 04:19 AM
I checked the flop because I didn’t know where I was and didn’t want to get raised so I was forced to make a tough decision. Then on turn I decided (hoped) I was ahead after the big blind showed a lot of strength. He thought for a long time and finally called with AsAh. At least I put him to a tough decision…
The poker gods rewarded me for my great play by putting a king out on the river.

Shaun
08-13-2005, 07:43 AM
I think all-in is a little much, but actually like this line. Because you checked the flop, you keep the pot small and see if a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif comes off or if someone capable of having a flush shows strength. A lot of players will play a flopped nut AK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif the way you do here, so by taking this line you might cause someone to make a "huge laydown", but it is likely that you will confuse your opponents into a call with hands like Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ or something similar. Since your opponent can only really hold a premium hand according to your read, the only likely hands he holds that beat you are AK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or AA. Anyway if your read of the BB is pretty accurate this is a decent line to take IMO.

If you bet the flop and get raised huge and fold, your are giving up some value against hands that you are 50-50 against that contain a diamond. By waiting till the turn you also afford yourself a chance to bluff-raise a bet on a diamond turn if you're feeling like mixing it up a bit (i probably don't do this very often by hey it's an idea).

Shaun
08-13-2005, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At least I put him to a tough decision…

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Playing it the other way there is no way he thinks about folding so at least you gained in that department.