PDA

View Full Version : Bulking Up (Getting Ripped Before School)

08-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Need some advice from the Ootsters. I'm trying to put on some muscle mass before school starts. I wouldn't mind some fat either - just hopefully more muscle than fat. I'm currently going to the Gym 3 times a week and working the arms mostly.

What supplements should I be taking to further enhance this? Any suggestions or past experiences would be extremely helpful. I'm currently 6'2 150 lbs and would like to try and be 160-165 by the end of the month. Is this unreasonable?

Thanks in advance

/images/graemlins/heart.gif Street Fighter /images/graemlins/heart.gif

swede123
08-12-2005, 12:54 PM
You're not going to gain 10-15 lbs of muscle that quickly without steroids. If you work out three times a day you will get much stronger quite fast, but to gain that much weight you need to supplement the body's own growth. Just work on a balanced workout, eat lots and lots and lots of healthy calories, and keep going at it. By the way, people who only work their arms/chest while at the gym are tools.

Swede

RunDownHouse
08-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Stop being the guy that does 8 different arm exercises and then leaves.

Seriously, if you want to add muscle, you need to work something other than your noodly arms. Do squats and cleans, those are the two best exercises in the weight room. Bulking up your legs will add weight, speed your metabolism, and you won't look like a douche in the weight room.

08-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Have you seen Guile? He's got chicken legs but he still manages to pull the ladies like Cammy and Chun Li.

I do workout my chest a little bit - I'm just not concerned with my legs. I've been walking fine for 16 years or so - no need to change them.

What supplements would you suggest? Meal replacement powders? etc

crownjules
08-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Damn you're skinny. I weigh as much as you and I'm only 5'8, and I'm considered skinny.

Don't work just your arms, you won't put on much weight that way. Not to mention, it'll look odd if you have toned arms and the rest of your body is flab. Increase your protein intake as this will help develope muscle mass. Whey protein shake mix is good for that, as is a good diet of tuna fish or any other high protein food.

08-12-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you won't look like a douche in the weight room.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not into impressing a bunch of sweaty guys. I'm more concerned with improving my self image and feeling good. I don't work out for other people at the gym.

ddollevoet
08-12-2005, 01:00 PM
Start four months ago...

unlucky513
08-12-2005, 01:02 PM
protien and creatine

work out more than 3 times per week, do more than just arms.

check out the forums at bodybuilding.com ... you'll get better/more responses there.

p.s. gaining 15 pounds of muscle in a month is not possible.

08-12-2005, 01:04 PM
I said I didn't mind if some of it was fat either. I just want to look less rail-esque.

I'll start to work out my back and abs and such. Like I said, my legs carry me fine /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Street FIGHTER

jakethebake
08-12-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently going to the Gym 3 times a week and working the arms mostly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a joke right? You're working your arms to put on mass? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

KaneKungFu123
08-12-2005, 01:08 PM
the junior class girls of winslow high better look out! street fighter is in da hosue!

jakethebake
08-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Here's what you do. STOP doing arm exercises entirely. Then start doing Bench Press, Deadlift and Squats. Do 5 sets of five at a weight somewhat less than what you could do to failure. Do this three times a week.

These are big compound exercises that work your whoile body. Doing squats for the legs isn't the point. The point is to stimulate growth throughout your body. You will NOT get big w/o doing the compound exercises.

lastsamurai
08-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Go on google search and look up "sup bro workouts"

seriously... Go on a regiment. I use the take suppliments but they started giving me migraine headaches. Give yourself goals ( like benching 200 in 3 months ect...)

swede123
08-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Just be careful when starting with the "advanced" stuff Jake is talking about. You really want someone with you who can show you how to do these exercises correctly. Doing deadlifts to failure w/o knowing what you're doing is a good way to screw up your back in a bad way.

Swede

Laomedon
08-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Holy [censored], you're 6'2" and you weigh 150!? Start eating some [censored] hamburgers and milkshakes right quick.

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Need some advice from the Ootsters. I'm trying to put on some muscle mass before school starts. I wouldn't mind some fat either - just hopefully more muscle than fat. I'm currently going to the Gym 3 times a week and working the arms mostly.

What supplements should I be taking to further enhance this? Any suggestions or past experiences would be extremely helpful. I'm currently 6'2 150 lbs and would like to try and be 160-165 by the end of the month. Is this unreasonable?

Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, me too! I'm 5'10"/135 and need to put on some extra poundage so I can bag some hottie forum chicks!

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

08-12-2005, 01:15 PM
I'm not aspiring to be all county '95. That's just way out of my league.

08-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Well, if you want to get fat you can: play something ( which I will not mention) all day; eat at buffets for every meal, and drink lots of beer and eat chicken wings like they're going out of style.

Just my 2 cents.

MHarris
08-12-2005, 01:18 PM
If you really want to add mass, put more effort into your chest and back. Do heavy decline presses, incline presses, and bent-over rows, and get some lat pulldowns and seated rows in too. Diet-wise, try to take in at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight every day. 12-15 pounds in a month is a little unreasonable, but is pretty attainable in 2-2 1/2 months.

RunDownHouse
08-12-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not into impressing a bunch of sweaty guys. I'm more concerned with improving my self image and feeling good. I don't work out for other people at the gym.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I meant to say that, by and large, the guys that look like douchebags in the weight room actually are douchebags.

Make sure you wipe your hair "product" off the bench after you use it, too.

CallMeIshmael
08-12-2005, 01:34 PM
http://www.hkfilm.net/sprsf2.jpg

KaneKungFu123
08-12-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Holy [censored], you're 6'2" and you weigh 150!? Start eating some [censored] chicken breast and brown rice right quick.

[/ QUOTE ]

MikeNaked
08-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Gotta do squats bro. Working the largest muscles in your body stimulates growth hormones including testosterone. Everyone knows why you don't do 'em - you have chicken legs and they are friggin agony to do. But you have to sack up and do em.

Jakethesnake is right (for once) - do exercises that work your largest, integrated muscle groups.

From, another skinny fella (I was 6'2" 140 my freshmen year of college)

jakethebake
08-12-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jakethesnake is right (for once)

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee. Thanks. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Glenn
08-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Go to www.skinnyguy.net (http://www.skinnyguy.net) and buy the program. The site is kind of cheesy, but the program books are great. People who are naturally bigger have an easier time putting on mass, so most work out programs will work for them. The only thing that will work for skinny guys, however, is a program built around compound excercises, good diet, and plenty of recovery time. The materials not only outline what you should do, they explain why all of it works. They even have forums to discuss your progress and ask questions to other members. The constant support, even if it is just reading about the success of others, keeps you motivated those weeks where you work hard and lose a pound or two..

jon_1van
08-12-2005, 02:02 PM
ok, a serious reply

Get on a rowing maching, stay there for at least 20 minutes. Repeat daily.

Eat lots of protien.

Why row? It works, legs, abs, upper back, lower back, biceps, triceps, and forearms.

So its a serious work out.

Also keep in mind that buring a little fat when you are building muscle will help the muscle stand out.

Glenn
08-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Rowing is not a good exercise for building mass. It will tone you and make you stronger, but to gain mass you must lift heavy weights. Also, doing it every day is a terrible idea as you grow when you are resting, not when you are working out.

jon_1van
08-12-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rowing is not a good exercise for building mass. It will tone you and make you stronger, but to gain mass you must lift heavy weights. Also, doing it every day is a terrible idea as you grow when you are resting, not when you are working out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rowing isn't great for building mass. But come on, does the OP really want mass? No, he wants to look decent with his shirt off. You don't do "just arms" looking for mass.

And this whole business about "needing" days off....nah. I rowed in college, I only has Sundays off. I build plenty of muscle without much rest

Glenn
08-12-2005, 02:12 PM
A 6'2 150 lb guy needs to do a lot more than just get toned to look good with his shirt off. As far of how you built muscle in college while rowing every day--of course you did, but you would have built more with more rest. Also, you have to understand that skinny guys have a much harder time putting on muscle, so things that will work for people with more average builds will not work for them.

Eegs
08-12-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently 6'2 150 lbs

[/ QUOTE ]

What do they feed you?

nickg1532
08-12-2005, 02:18 PM
eat until you're completely stuffed.....and then eat some more. seriously.

and don't just work out your arms. there are lots of big muscles all over your body that will add some weight as they grow. the muscles in your arms are small compared to your chest, back, legs, etc.

Subfallen
08-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Why the hell are you posting this on OOT instead of www.t-nation.com (http://www.t-nation.com)?

lu_hawk
08-12-2005, 02:25 PM
why is anyone giving this guy serious advice. his name is street fighter, and he says he wants to gain 15 lbs in one month to look more like guile. and he only does arm exercises.

jakethebake
08-12-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why is anyone giving this guy serious advice. his name is street fighter, and he says he wants to gain 15 lbs in one month to look more like guile. and he only does arm exercises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the hell is Guile?

diebitter
08-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Do some heavy leg work - squats, leg presses etc. This'll build muscle all over as fast as you naturally can.

handsome
08-12-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the hell is Guile?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even know what to say...

dynamite
08-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Check out

http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/max-ot_intro.asp

It's called MAX OT and it is sweet.

dynamite

tdarko
08-12-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently 6'2 150 lbs

[/ QUOTE ]
really, yikes. /images/graemlins/frown.gif
[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently going to the Gym 3 times a week and working the arms mostly.

[/ QUOTE ]
ahhh thats why.

just so you know your arms won't actually get BIGGER until you put on mass and weight throughout your body, they may get a little more tone but no chance of getting bigger.

M2d
08-12-2005, 05:52 PM
1) It's Ootiots. there's no such thing as an "Ootster"
2) Like many others here have said, you gotta quit the arm workout and mix in some big, compound lifts. Squat, Deadlift, power cleans, maybe bench.
3) no way you're going to gain this weight in a month with out chemical assistance. Even with it, it's a big dog to happen. People are amazed at professional athletes who come back from the off season with 15 lbs of muscle after a chemically enhanced workout baccanalia. this is a professional athlete with an entire offseason to train. No way a high school kid with no base is going to do this in a month.
4) Everyone in this thread is apparently more experienced in this subject matter than you are, and most are disagreeing with both your goals and your methods of attaining those goals. why would you disagree with them? If you disagree with them so vehemently, why would you pose it as a question here in the firstplace. OOT isn't exactly a place to come for a bunch of attaboys and get smoke blown up your ass.
5) if you really don't care much about the fat/muscle gain ratio, you could just vow not to have any bowel movements from now until then.

CollinEstes
08-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Easy ways to gain weight. I weighted 155 and got to 170 in 6 months doing the following.

1. Drank Slim fast with all my meals and between meals
2. Eat hard-boiled eggs alot
3. Eat PB&J sandwiches between meals.
4. Drank a milkshake before I went to sleep, and then set my alarm for 3:30am and got up and drank another one before going back to bed.
5. Always eating 5 solid meals a day.

But I worked out 6 days a week for about 2 hours a day.
It sucked.

M2d
08-12-2005, 06:07 PM
great list. add to that: if you eat white bread, switch to whole grain.

Navers
08-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Basically the number one thing to do is eat. Keep eating as much as you can. If you're stopping because you get full, p ush yourself a little bit to eat more as you really need to eat more to grow. Try to get in lots of protein too. Bump up your calorie intake too, obviously. Don't eat stupid [censored] like candy bars and chocolate and sugary stuff. Eat big, like lots of sandwiches, Chipotle, and if you're skinny then eating more fast food won't hurt you (just don't overload). To get enough protein, stick with eating lots of meat.

You're not going to get any progress doing exercises, isolation or compound, if you don't eat enough. Anyone that knows their weightlifting will tell you that.

EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT.

As for your training, use more free weights instead of machines if you already aren't. Don't do isolation exercises mostly if you want to gain mass all over. Do squats, cleans, deadlifts, bench press, dips, pull-ups, etc. You'll gain mass quicker if you do those exercises instead of solely focusing on pussy isolation exercises.

Be consistent with your training, its hard to stick to it but its worth it in the end.

BillNye
08-12-2005, 07:15 PM
You should be bulking up your brains before school, so that someday u get called a nerd during school and you think "im on my way to having my own science TV show" it worked for me.

sinfulslick18
08-12-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stop being the guy that does 8 different arm exercises and then leaves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rotating Rabbit
08-12-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Easy ways to gain weight. I weighted 155 and got to 170 in 6 months doing the following.

1. Drank Slim fast with all my meals and between meals
2. Eat hard-boiled eggs alot
3. Eat PB&J sandwiches between meals.
4. Drank a milkshake before I went to sleep, and then set my alarm for 3:30am and got up and drank another one before going back to bed.
5. Always eating 5 solid meals a day.

But I worked out 6 days a week for about 2 hours a day.
It sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can relate to this. Five years ago I was 6' and 120 pounds, I wasnt well needless to say. I took a year out and got to 165 pounds through die hard eating (originally it would take me hours to finish a meal) and working out (not easy mentally to go the gym, as you can imagine a lot of insecure fkers took the piss, how I wish i could see some of them now that im 180 i bet they're still spending 2 hours doing bicep curls only and standing around). Like you, I would get up in the middle of the night, in my case to have a big bowl of cereal, then go back to bed!

EliteNinja
08-13-2005, 04:54 AM
6'2 150 lbs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/EliteNinja/twoplustwo/STFUppercutRyu.gif
Had to stick in a SF2 picture.

That's quite a small frame you got there. I'm 5'5" 129lbs. I'm in the Normal range for my height. I play tennis everyday.

Make sure you put the pounds on healthily and do lots of cardio to keep your heart/lungs strong.

gamblore99
08-13-2005, 09:05 AM
Just working the arm is ridiculous. If you haven't been to the gym before then your arms are not highly adapted. They won't be able to tolerate the high number of sets and a high chance of injury or muscle damage is likely to occur. Even if you were more experienced, the extra arm excercises have a very modest benefit. These extra excercises would be much better spent on working other muscles. You will gain weight faster, and as well look better. If you have never worked out before and plan on making a long term commitment to the gym, then you really need to build your tendons first. 3-6 of week of circuit training using light loads, 8-12 reps (should be a pretty easy workout) and a variety of excerecises for a total body workout done 3 times a week. After that you want to mass building program. You can probably start to gain 1 1/2 pounds a week or so. Most important thing is to eat as much as possible, and have a lot of protein.
For the gym workout you want 3-4 sets per excercise, Rest interval of about 60-90 seconds rest in between. 8-12 reps, and each set should leave you completely exhausted. A good workout out would be
flat bench press (chest)
lat pull down (back)
cable rope pull up (bicep)
cable rope push down (tricep)
upright rows (anterior, medial deltiods and traps)
lunges/squats/leg press

Above is the basic excercise program my trainer gave me, except legs had a full day, and abs and cardio had a full day. Was supposed to do each routine 2 times a week for a 6 day total routine. I kind of only really did upper body because of school demands. But I still gained 18 pounds in 4 months (with some fat of course).

Also getting a trainer is not a bad idea. But try to make sure he has some expertise. A lot of trainers know next to the nothing and are pretty useless. For anyone who wants to become more in control, and more knowledgeable about excercise, a good book is serious strength training by tudor bompa.

Bill Murphy
08-13-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently going to the Gym 3 times a week and working the arms mostly. ...I'm currently 6'2 150 lbs ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you're an absolute stick(just like me, don't get huffy). All them curls, tri pushdowns, and flyes ain't satisfying sh1t. You've GOT to hit the legs, and I don't mean with extensions, curls, and calf raises. Sucks for us, as we're not really built for squats and deadlifts. However... Link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3133431&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1)

Three times a week is too much for us ectomorphs. Chill for a week, get rested up, then get started. Make sure you eat 5-6 medium sized meals a day w/plenty of protein & green veggies.

Nuttin' wrong w/the occasional mega-burger & fries, us skinny guys need calories. Just have 'em chop it in half, then eat the second half two hours later. You can actually eat more this way w/o bloating.

[ QUOTE ]
What supplements should I be taking to further enhance this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two cans of tuna & 8 hours sleep per day. Save your money.

[ QUOTE ]
...would like to try and be 160-165 by the end of the month. Is this unreasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, unless your dad, gramps, and brothers are all tanks and you just ain't hit yer growth spurt yet. But 175 by Christmas ain't unreasonable.

Sorry to be a dick but I was in your exact same position 25 years ago and would love a do-over.

gl.

Edit: After reading the rest of the thread, gotta say ya sound like a wuss as far as working legs. Trust us, you're 16[?!], most of us replying are 30+. We been there.

But, if ya wanna keep on keeping on, and three years down the road be $2K poorer, 1lb heavier, and however many elbow & shoulder ligaments & tendons lighter, have at it.

If my program don't appeal to you and you have to go to a gym(prolly with your friends, right?), do the 5x5 suggested above w/the Hammer machines Incline Press, Pulldown, & Leg Press. You're built all wrong for benchs, squats, & deadlifts.

BUT. YOU. WILL. NOT. GAIN. MUSCLE. WITHOUT. TRAINING. LEGS. HARD. PERIOD.

Bill Murphy
08-13-2005, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 5'10"/135

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ on His Throne. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Blarg
08-13-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's what you do. STOP doing arm exercises entirely. Then start doing Bench Press, Deadlift and Squats. Do 5 sets of five at a weight somewhat less than what you could do to failure. Do this three times a week.

These are big compound exercises that work your whoile body. Doing squats for the legs isn't the point. The point is to stimulate growth throughout your body. You will NOT get big w/o doing the compound exercises.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is excellent advice.

Doing these compound exercises, with heavy weight, will also stimulate the central nervous system to pack more muscle on you. Arm exercises alone won't. You could gain more arm mass from doing squats and doing no arm exercises than you could from doing arm exercises alone. These "big 3" exercises are full-body mass builders. Isolation exercises are not the way to go to put on mass.

The only thing I'd add is that you'll have to eat a lot of food to put on a lot of weight. Lifting heavy without eating big means you'll get stronger, but your mass gains will be much lower.

As for your being 6'2" and 150 pounds and satisfied with your legs -- stop being satisfied so easily.

Since it sounds like you want to gain muscle mostly just to look good, all I can say is women love great legs on guys just like guys do on women. At 6'2" and 150 pounds, I find it basically impossible to believe you have legs that couldn't look a lot better with some more mass on them.

Blarg
08-13-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gotta do squats bro. Working the largest muscles in your body stimulates growth hormones including testosterone. Everyone knows why you don't do 'em - you have chicken legs and they are friggin agony to do. But you have to sack up and do em.

Jakethesnake is right (for once) - do exercises that work your largest, integrated muscle groups.

From, another skinny fella (I was 6'2" 140 my freshmen year of college)

[/ QUOTE ]

6'2" and 175 when college started, here. And I looked damn skinny -- small bone structure.

At 200 now, I still look damn skinny!

Blarg
08-13-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rowing isn't great for building mass. But come on, does the OP really want mass? No, he wants to look decent with his shirt off. You don't do "just arms" looking for mass.

And this whole business about "needing" days off....nah. I rowed in college, I only has Sundays off. I build plenty of muscle without much rest

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably would have built more and faster with more rest.

Also, most people would probably not have gained as much as you did. Rest is very important.

08-14-2005, 03:14 AM
Try to go to the gym five times a week, one day each for biceps/triceps, chest, back, shoulders, and legs. Eat five small meals throughout the day. Keep it healthy, especially high in protein and low in fat, like salmon, egg whites, chicken, etc. Also, after every workout drink some milk with whey protein .

ChipWrecked
08-14-2005, 03:17 AM
I swear, when I first saw this thread, I thought 'bulking up' was some sort of new slang for smoking weed first thing in the morning.

x2ski
08-14-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I swear, when I first saw this thread, I thought 'bulking up' was some sort of new slang for smoking weed first thing in the morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, that is referred to as "Wake 'n' Bake"

Reef
08-14-2005, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I do workout my chest a little bit - I'm just not concerned with my legs. I've been walking fine for 16 years or so - no need to change them.

[/ QUOTE ]

not working your legs is one of the most anti-productive thing you can do towards achieving your goal.

Spladle Master
08-14-2005, 05:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false.

cnfuzzd
08-14-2005, 05:49 AM
offhand, i would say that you are extremely gay....

onhand, i would inquire as to what your plans are for tomorrow night....

peace

john nickle

Delphin
08-14-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false.

Navers
08-14-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. It is virtually impossible for the OP to gain 15 lbs of lean mass in one month, especially because of the low weight he is already at. Even with roids its virtually impossible to gain that weight in such a short amount of time.

Navers
08-14-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not working your legs is one of the most anti-productive thing you can do towards achieving your goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, don't strive to be one of those guys with a huge upper body and sticks for legs. Just looks disproportionate. Not only that, but you'll develop your upper body quicker if you work out the legs too because your body wants to retain proportions (but this is more of a long term thing).

mike4bmp
08-14-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you a ectomorph/hardgainer...
The most important thing to do is to maintain a proper protein intake. Fortunately hardgainers can take in more fat than their mesomorph and exomorph cousins so don't be too concerned with what you eat...but not saying to go buckwild and eat pizza and hamburgers everyday. Split your workouts to 4 days a week. For example, work your chest and shoulders on Monday, Back muscles and cardio on Tuesday, Legs on Thursday, and Arms and cardio on Friday.
4 exercises per muscle group...4 sets for the first movement of each exercise at 60% and then 3 sets for all the other exercises at whatever weight..ensure that you go to failure on the last sets of each exercise. (please use a spotter when doing exercises on chest and leg day...i.e. squats and bench)

Ensure that you are eating every 3 to 4 hours...Your protein intake is CRUCIAL....you need to be consuming up to around 245-270 grams a protein per day...religiously!!
Meal replacement shakes are good for taking some of the burden off of always having to have something to eat.
Also, after you've been consistent for about 3 months you should start to cycle in creatine to your workout....take with fruit juice every morning...pharmaceutical grade is fine. Or you could use Celltech...which although is a Muscletech product and contains a lot of dextrose...you're a hardgainer so it might be beneficial for you...if I take it I just gain unnecessary fat from the simple carbs.

Lets see anything else...Multivitamins are important...stacking legal prohormones is for when you get serious...Animal Stak makes a good supplement for this....
DO NOT TAKE THIS UNTIL YOU ARE A BALL TO THE WALL SERIOUS WEIGHTLIFTER...you only want to cycle this stuff like once or twice to break a plateau...if you take it any more than that...it could end up being detrimental to your liver.
I think that is all I can tell ya...unless I were to personally train you myself...Good Luck!
I've been a fellow weightlifter/bodybuilder for about 4 years now....it pays off...just put in the work!
Peace!

fsuplayer
08-14-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check out

http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/max-ot_intro.asp

It's called MAX OT and it is sweet.

dynamite

[/ QUOTE ]

this is by far the best advice in the thread.

it will show you everything you need to know, from lifting, to cardio, to diet.

follow it to a T and you should be able to put on 10lbs in 2mths or so. I didk the same with a 5'8" 150 frame.

eastbay
08-14-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any suggestions or past experiences would be extremely helpful. I'm currently 6'2 150 lbs and would like to try and be 160-165 by the end of the month. Is this unreasonable?

Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be 5'11" and 135 lb at full maturity. At one point I worked my way up to 190 lb, but have since slid back to something like 175 lb. So I know how this game works.

The idea that you could add 10-15 lb of muscle in your arms in a short period of time is a laugh riot.

It might be possible for someone as terribly undertrained and underweight as you to gain 10 lb in 3 months, but it would have to come mostly in the legs, chest, and back muscles. You will gain 1-2 lb max in your arms in that time.

Your appearance will be bolstered the most by adding mass all over your body. Nobody is going to be impressed - and you shouldn't be either - by a bulgy goose-egg bicep on a bird chest and stick legs and pencil neck.

Squats, bench presses, chins are your base exercises for building max muscle in min time.

eastbay

smokingrobot
08-14-2005, 01:28 PM
dont ignore your back and torso either. its where your core strength comes from.

take some protein drinks and as was mentioned before, lots of healthy calories.

JaBlue
08-14-2005, 01:34 PM
you're not skinny.

DarkForceRising
08-14-2005, 02:50 PM
When you train back you should start with pull ups and chin ups. It will be difficult with long skinny arms but worth the effort. I've done them for years and can't get past 12 or 13 quality reps but I can add plates to the waist harness (muscle fibre makeup). Pull ups, chins and the related variations improve your pull-down strength but pull-downs (gay movement IMO) don't help your pull up strength.

Beverly nutrition has the best protein IMO but it is expensive. Also, do a search for Charles Poloquins' German Volume Training. It's a good 6 week program to get you headed in the right direction.

And, once again, deadlifts and squats rule but make damn sure you know how to do them correctly so you don't destoy your back and knees. Don't take advice from some dumb ass spandex clad trainer- find the big guys in some dumpy garage style gym. They know what's up. Bro. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

08-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Sounds to me your built like one of those long distance runners from Kenya, are you black?(not that there's anything wrong with that), maybe you should take up running and leave the muscles to mesomorphs like me.
Ectomorphs... the nerve of these guys

Many

P.S. I got your supplements hanging

Spladle Master
08-21-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. It is virtually impossible for the OP to gain 15 lbs of lean mass in one month, especially because of the low weight he is already at. Even with roids its virtually impossible to gain that weight in such a short amount of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may be impossible for the OP, but it is not impossible. I have done it twice and could do it again if I wanted to.

Blarg
08-21-2005, 09:00 PM
I've seen plenty of women gain 15 lbs. in two weeks.

But 15 lbs. of lean mass would be extraordinary. My understanding is that would probably mean something like 24 lbs. or more total, at least 8 lbs. fat.

The uncommon beginner could do something like this, but a skinny one would have a hard time. He doesn't even have all that much muscle to stimulate, and can't crank up weights heavy enough to quickly shock the system. I've put on muscle much faster when I already have a reasonable amount than when I've been super-skinny.

XxGodJrxX
08-21-2005, 09:05 PM
I am guessing that you gained 15 lbs of muscle over time, stopped going to the gym for a few months, then went back and got it all back quick. That is muscle memory, which the original poster does not have.

I highly doubt that somebody with the frame that the OP has can gain 15 pounds of muscle in 6 months unless if they are really dedicated to it. Anybody that insists that just working out arms is the way to go won't put on 15 pounds of muscle EVER.

Spladle Master
08-21-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am guessing that you gained 15 lbs of muscle over time, stopped going to the gym for a few months, then went back and got it all back quick. That is muscle memory, which the original poster does not have.

I highly doubt that somebody with the frame that the OP has can gain 15 pounds of muscle in 6 months unless if they are really dedicated to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the first time I started lifting weights I was sixteen and put on twenty pounds in forty days. Went from 135 to 155 being six feet tall. It can be done, just takes work.

Blarg
08-21-2005, 09:38 PM
Six feet tall and 135 lbs.? Holy crap, that's super skinny.

Sounds like your body was coming back from a very bad place. Even skinny guys aren't supposed to be THAT skinny.

Voltron87
08-21-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Six feet tall and 135 lbs.? Holy crap, that's super skinny.

Sounds like your body was coming back from a very bad place. Even skinny guys aren't supposed to be THAT skinny.

[/ QUOTE ]

six feet and 135 is crazy.

im 6-4 210 and i am not heavyset at all. when i was younger i was 6-1 6-2 180 and i was fairly lanky, i was really athletic but just didnt have much muscle mass. i cant imagine being less than 180 back then though.

op- just weightlifting and working out wont do it. play a physical sport like soccer, or basketball, this will improve you conditioning and athelticism. stuff like your balance and coordination. soccer is amazing for this, it will make you so much more athletic because it involves so many facets of fitness, stamina, leg strength, balance. it will make your legs conditioned in ways lifting cant. to complement a sport like this you need to work upper body, and that is a very complete plan.

Blarg
08-21-2005, 10:00 PM
He'll have to go on a non-stop eating orgy too. I pity his digestive system.

I'd agree on soccer for general health, but for a guy who wants to put on mass, he'd be better of sticking to the weights. Soccer will get your legs bigger over time, but not quickly. It's a huge calorie drain, too, which could make it harder to add bulk all over.

Sure is great for general health, though, and a lot more fun than lifting weights up and down.

Voltron87
08-21-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He'll have to go on a non-stop eating orgy too. I pity his digestive system.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is also very true. eat a lot. tons of protein. milk is great.

cmwck
08-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Hm... work the legs, get big.

I completely forgot about that aspect. I put myself on a similar weight gain program last year and worked on legs twice a week and ate unlimited dorm food every 2 hours until I allmost puked, and that worked OK. Now this year I don't work out as much, and I never work the legs. I'm sure I've lost weight since last year, as I'm now 140 pounds at 5'8"", which I suppose is "normal" from a Body Mass Index perspective, but I'd really like to be at 150, which is where I was at the peak of last year.

I have the fastest metabolism of anyone I know. My friends are amazed that I can stuff myself with food, and then be starving 3 hours later. It really is a fight to stop from losing weight. Can anyone suggest some inexpenseive homemade concoctions that contain a ton of calories and protein?

Blarg
08-21-2005, 10:36 PM
Eggs and milk are great and relatively cheap that way. Especially eggs. Great protein and plenty of it, and milk has lots of calories too. Getting chicken in those big value-packs is pretty cheap too. You should be able to get it for well under a buck a pound, and it's great, high-quality, good tasting protein.

If you go to bulknutrition.com, you can get 10 lb. bags of protein powder for a hair under 50 bucks. They last a long time and add about 25 grams of protein to milk, a bowl of oatmeal, whatever. I use the kind they have called simply "100 % Whey Protein," and the chocolate is pretty good and mixes very easily.

I also find my system moves quicker and feels much better with plenty of fruits and vegetables, too. Their low fat means you can eat a ton of them without worrying about laying down the preparations for future heart disease or stroke, too. Throw them in with some rice and you've got a solid meal; it also takes almost no effort, if you have a rice cooker. Throw a pack of frozen vegetables into a steamer with a cup of rice and some water, some back in 20 minutes, chow down.

My metabolism was like yours when I was a teenager. At most one hour after a big meal I could eat another one, or close to it. At least a couple sandwiches, no problem. And it would never stop. My parents were amazed, and so was I, actually. I was very skinny and super-active, and that just made my metabolism so high I practically felt like a furnace burning. I could practically hear the fire crackling!

Spladle Master
08-22-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like your body was coming back from a very bad place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my sophomore year of high school.

meleader2
08-22-2005, 02:46 AM
all this advice is good, but...

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/

FORUMS HELP. all your questions have already been asked. do a search. and creatine just adds water weight and is only used to give you SLIGHTLY additional energy to do SLIGHTLY higher weight with more reps.

good luck.

Jules22
08-22-2005, 03:10 AM
when i was in high school, getting ripped before school did not involve weights of any sort lol

(we got high before we went to class /images/graemlins/frown.gif)

STLantny
08-22-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hm... work the legs, get big.

I completely forgot about that aspect. I put myself on a similar weight gain program last year and worked on legs twice a week and ate unlimited dorm food every 2 hours until I allmost puked, and that worked OK. Now this year I don't work out as much, and I never work the legs. I'm sure I've lost weight since last year, as I'm now 140 pounds at 5'8"", which I suppose is "normal" from a Body Mass Index perspective, but I'd really like to be at 150, which is where I was at the peak of last year.

I have the fastest metabolism of anyone I know. My friends are amazed that I can stuff myself with food, and then be starving 3 hours later. It really is a fight to stop from losing weight. Can anyone suggest some inexpenseive homemade concoctions that contain a ton of calories and protein?

[/ QUOTE ]

If youre a hardgainer, you were working out too much. I assume you had to work out at least 4 times a week, to work legs twice. Hardgainers, should do little cardio, maybe 20 minutes a day to keep healthy, workout no more than 3 times a weak, and do low rep, lotsa rest, heavy, compound exercise. Good sources of high calorie/quick foods:
cottage cheese + natural peanut butter + plain old choco whey powder blend and drink.

DO NOT buy that bulk powder 10k calorie [censored], unless you are only going to drink it during/right after a workout. But even then i reommend surge from biotest. And the guy above was right, anyone with questions like this should ask at T-NATION.COM!!!!!!!!!!! best site ever.

Blarg
08-22-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like your body was coming back from a very bad place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my sophomore year of high school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a new lifter and having the hormones and recovery ability of a 16-year-old definitely puts you at the top of the list for gaining muscle mass. Exceptional results still, and definitely far beyond most people with even a few more years on them.