PDA

View Full Version : ATo - 4-handed - bottom pair

Boolean
08-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Reads: The preflop cap, while loose, works against the BB. He's an extremely loose/aggressive with bluffing tendencies. I think he'd do this with any two cards given the right time of day. It also works because it makes the cold-callers call 2 cold again with their substandard hands.

SB is a LAP who's somewhat of a calling station post flop. He can find his raise button with great hands and will cap the flop if he has a monster. If he thinks his hand is best, he generally will bet it.

No reads on Button other than he's "short-stacked".

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

As I said before, given the read I have on BB, I think this cap is for value.

Flop: (16 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls $0.25 (All-In), SB calls.

I've caught bottom pair with a gutshot. I raise to protect my hand and for the times I have the best hand.

Turn: (10.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

SB donkbets the turn. He could have a queen, but I've seen stranger from him. He could also be slowplaying a straight. He could possibly have a draw and is representing the queens as well.

River: (12.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

I miss, but I call because I think I'm good in this spot more than ~8% of the time.

Did I miss anything anywhere?

crownjules
08-12-2005, 12:35 PM
I'm not raising the flop since you're not protecting at all against anyone. Not to mention, with bottom pair on this highly-coordinated board, I can't think that I have the best hand very often at all.

I don't think the turn is a donkbet. SB probably called the flop figuring you for AA/KK, and now he just tripped up. Figure you have 4 outs for the K, and maybe 1 out each on the A and T (for the times SB is betting the J or a K/9), you can call. I would fold the river.

EDIT to include that I usually toss AT UTG.

MrWookie47
08-12-2005, 12:35 PM
I'm definitely not capping with a hand that's likely to be dominated. Sure, he might be 3betting with any two, but unless he's always 3betting, the more likely explanation is that he has a hand, a hand that likely dominates you.

Next, there's no way in hell I'm raising that flop. It hit someone certainly, and if they don't already have a hand that beats you, they aren't going away because of a strong draw. You have odds to hit a gutshot, though, so peel and reevaluate on the turn.

Finally, no way am I calling that river. You're beat, dude.

krimson
08-12-2005, 12:40 PM
SB is a LAP who's somewhat of a calling station post flop.

I think this read better suits the guy who is UTG.

Boolean
08-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Let me explain my thought processes and the table conditions a little bit more. I tried to stay as indescript as possible, but I think that's an error. I was playing only this one table at the time as a test of mine. I wanted to see how much I was losing out on by playing 2 or more at a time and not analyzing my opponents.

BB was raising ~30% of his hands preflop, and would cap with all of them. I think that a cap's still an error though. However, my read on SB was pretty strong that he was a slow-player. He'd call the flop and check-raise the turn if he had the straight, and I had a feeling he'd check-raise the turn with a queen. I had two intentions with the flop raise. Firstly, I thought it was for value, but I feel that that's an error. Secondly, I felt I could buy a free river as well. After SB bet the turn, I felt it was possible that he did not have a queen, as the most logical play for him would to try a check-raise. Even if I had AA, would he risk scaring me away? Given those conditions, I felt that the river call, while close, is a good play.

Am I being too optimistic?

Boolean
08-12-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
EDIT to include that I usually toss AT UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

You toss ATo when it's 4-handed and you're first to act? How about when you're playing a full ring and everyone folds to you in the CO, how would you play this then?

MrWookie47
08-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Yes. Even if we assume he doesn't have the Q, his most likely holding is then a J that no longer fears your Q. He's not folding, and you're losing.

crownjules
08-12-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You toss ATo when it's 4-handed and you're first to act? How about when you're playing a full ring and everyone folds to you in the CO, how would you play this then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold, duh. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

My mistake, I overlooked the 4-handed part. The rest still stands.

08-12-2005, 01:05 PM
i like this response...
no way capping very important, A10 is just about never a cap hand.
cdl