PDA

View Full Version : Foxwoods 20/40

Fat Kid
03-25-2003, 01:29 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Foxwoods 20/40? I took a beating in it last week and I'd like to hear some impressions from people who play there regularly. I played far too tight and my play was off, as was my luck, but I'd like opinions on the game. I prefer the rake to the seat charge at the Taj, but I think the games are just so much better at the Taj. Opinions please.

PokerPrince
03-25-2003, 04:35 PM
Raise the turn.

PokerPrince

leon
03-25-2003, 08:31 PM
Hey fat kid! (love saying that)

I didn't go last week or there's a good chance we would have run into each other. I generally go once a week and play the 20/40. I don't know what night you went but the Fri/Sat games are very good. There's also some strong players in the game so I have an advantage over you in that area, since I know who they are.

The fish also tend to the aggressive side so yes, it is definitely a game where you have the potential to take a beating in with some second best hands, missed draws, and so forth. That being said I think the games are good. Much better than the 10/20. So give it another shot.

I'm going on fri or sat this weekend, haven't decided yet. Let me know if you're going this weekend and maybe we can meet up (like to meet 2+2 er's). Your presence might swing the date for me one way or the other.

Leon

Azad
03-26-2003, 12:19 AM
I have been playing in this game regualrly (i.e. on weekends that I am free) since its inception a few months back. The game has been incredibly good on almost all occasions. I doubt "tight" was the reason for your troubles, I think this game requires a tighter approach than might originally appear. Game is quite aggressive and swings can get massive if you decide to push small edges. There are some very good players but there are very few of them at the same time at the same table. I have never played at the Taj so I can offer no comparison. I want to assure you, however, that the Fowxoods 20-40 game is in general excellent.

Fat Kid
03-26-2003, 12:32 PM
Last week I went on a Monday night (I was very bored) with the intention of staying until after Tuesday's NL tournament. I arrived at 9, picked up about 700 in my first 3 hours at the game, and then went completely cold. After playing about 7% of hands (I played two BBs from midnight to 7 AM...somewhat tight, ya think?), I walked away down 900. I felt very unsatisfied.

The game was absolutely fantastic though. A bunch of 75/150 Stud players were playing. They capped almost every hand preflop, usually 3 bets on the flop, and probably a riase on the turn and another on the river. Great action, but not when you hold 74o in the BB.

I'd like to hear more about the players in the game though. I completely misread one guy's playing style which probably cost me two big pots at least.

I'll probably head up on Saturday, maybe Friday as well, I'm not sure. Let me know what your plans are.

leon
03-26-2003, 02:26 PM
I'll be there on Sat for the morning tournament. Gearing up for the NEPC and the world series. After I'll most likely sit in the 20 (although if I win the tournie I might just call it an early day).

I'd gladly give you more info on some of the players in the game but without knowing who you're referring to it's basically impossible. Your experience with the 75-150 stud players is interesting. I've never been on a mon night- my guess would be the games should be drier, although obviously this wasn't the case for you. I think the presence of those players was an anomaly.

One thing you might consider in games like that is whether you can handle the swings that will come in such a ram and jam game. As Azad said below, such games have a potential to really put the hurt on you. If you're playing a little light it might be best to just call it a day in such situations and come back later.

I'll message you here, probably on Fri to let you know what I'll be wearing on Sat. Alternatively you can page me to the board on Sat.

Leon

DavidK
03-27-2003, 01:20 PM
I basically agree. You have to not only know who the good players are but how they and the other regulars play. Persoanlly, I do very well at the 10-20 because I know how most of the regulars play, and can adjust. But there are definitely a number of good players at the 10-20 level.

I also agree that the games at the Taj are generally better, but there is plenty of money for the taking at the middle-limit games at Foxwoods, especially on the weekends. Just pay attention to how people play, and change tables/games if the game is no good. The stud games are almost always fabulous at the middle limits, and are just as good middle of the week in my experience.

DavidK
03-27-2003, 01:28 PM
Down 900 overall is NOT taking a beating at 20-40 (yes, I know the swing is bad from up 700 to down 900). If you are not prepared to drop that much in a session sometimes (or more!) if the cards don't come right, you shouldn't be playing in that game. That's like losing 450 at 10-20. Do you think that doesn't happen a fair bit of the time?

leon
03-27-2003, 06:04 PM
I have played much more 10/20 than 20/40 at the woods overall, esp since the 20 is a relatively new game. We more than likely have played against each other at some point. I definitely wasn't trying to imply the 10 is a bad game. My bankroll has grown enough for me to play 20/40, and I do think it's a better game, although the 10 certainly can be great too.

For my money I think the fish are a little more "fishy" overall at the 20. On the other hand their bite is worse there too /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Leon