PDA

View Full Version : A gripe with homosexuals.

DavidC
08-12-2005, 06:36 AM
Does anyone have any idea where the "gay accent" came from?

Is this something historic, or unique to gay culture in north america?

Do european gays do this?

It kinda bothers me. FWIW, I THINK I'm pretty tolerant, but this just seems a little weird to me.

SammyKid11
08-12-2005, 06:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It kinda bothers me. FWIW, I THINK I'm pretty tolerant, but this just seems a little weird to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to think if you asked a lot of gay men, they'd tell you the accent (especially as it's portrayed on TV and in movies) bothers the hell out of them. Now, I only know a grand total of three gay guys, but none of them have that accent in the slightest - and one of them said point-blank that the overportrayal of "the lisp" was in fact offensive to him.

stigmata
08-12-2005, 07:14 AM
We have the "gay accent" over here too, and yes it can be annoying. Anyone see extra's last night? This reminds me of Les Dennis' rant about Graham Norton.

08-12-2005, 07:25 AM
The gay accent exists in Australia also

You gotta admit it can be funny sometimes

But yeah, not all gays speak with the accent, and I have no idea of the proportions

rusellmj
08-12-2005, 07:49 AM
Perhaps it's used, by those who feel the need, to let everyone they come in contact with know they are gay. Of course we here 2+2 know the best way to accomplish this is to join an internet forum. I haven't noticed this phenomenon in lesbians though.

Matty
08-12-2005, 07:54 AM
There is no gay accent. It's just a feminine way of speaking that sounds weird coming from a male. You'll notice the ones with the "gay accent" also move in a feminine way.

If you're referring to lisps, I can tell you I used to have a lot of gay friends and none of them had lisps.

BZ_Zorro
08-12-2005, 08:11 AM
It's three things:

1. A lack of testosterone

2. A way of getting attention - most gays weren't loved much as children, especially by their fathers (or, consversely, were loved too much). This manifests in attention seeking behaviors and mannerisms.

3. A way of compensating for their lack of confidence and feelings of alienation from 'normal' society.

Matty
08-12-2005, 08:18 AM
Your stupid is showing.

BZ_Zorro
08-12-2005, 08:20 AM
Actually, I was joking about #1.

Care to reply in a more substantive manner?

Matty
08-12-2005, 08:24 AM
Homosexuality is not a mental illness or emotional problem. If you actually care, use the search function on apa.org. Actualy, here:

http://www.apa.org/pubinfo/answers.html

[ QUOTE ]
Psychologists, psychiatrists and other mental health professionals agree that homosexuality is not an illness, mental disorder or an emotional problem. Over 35 years of objective, well-designed scientific research has shown that homosexuality, in and itself,is not associated with mental disorders or emotional or social problems. Homosexuality was once thought to be a mental illness because mental health professionals and society had biased information. In the past the studies of gay, lesbian and bisexual people involved only those in therapy, thus biasing the resulting conclusions. When researchers examined data about these people who were not in therapy, the idea that homosexuality was a mental illness was quickly found to be untrue.

In 1973 the American Psychiatric Association confirmed the importance of the new, better designed research and removed homosexuality from the official manual that lists mental and emotional disorders. Two years later, the American Psychological Association passed a resolution supporting the removal. For more than 25 years, both associations have urged all mental health professionals to help dispel the stigma of mental illness that some people still associate with homosexual orientation.

[/ QUOTE ]

BZ_Zorro
08-12-2005, 08:29 AM
I agree that homosexuality is not a mental illness. Neither are most fetishes.

Matty
08-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Do you have any support whatsoever for your claim that gays were brought up differently?

BZ_Zorro
08-12-2005, 08:43 AM
No, I have no evidence whatsoever.

None of the reasons people become gay are quantifiable, except possibly genetics if such a link exists. Or a predisposition to sexual identity disorders in the brain, again if such a link exists.

Sponger15SB
08-12-2005, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it bother you because you don't like the way it sounds or because you're a bigot?

Btw, my mom said this to me the other day, "I don't have a problem with gays I just don't want to see them kissing around me" ....uh yeah I think that means you have a problem with them.

billyjex
08-12-2005, 09:04 AM
that's gonna make coming out just that much harder, huh?

Sponger15SB
08-12-2005, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
that's gonna make coming out just that much harder, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I walked right into that one.

sfer
08-12-2005, 09:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They want to be held after I bone them.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

tek
08-12-2005, 10:21 AM
Accoding to Tucker Max (www.tuckermax.com)

One reason guys are gay is because when they do a 69 they can pretend they are blowing themselves. One of his stories ncluded a conversation he had with a couple of gya guys at a bar. I think it was the saem story where they said that if you have sex with enough women (don't have a number...), at least one of them will have been a man. Tucker was freakin out /images/graemlins/grin.gif

HopeydaFish
08-12-2005, 10:32 AM
It seems to me that it is primarily the "flamboyantly gay" guys who talk with this accent. I think to it's a signal to other gay guys. I imagine without the accent and gay mannerisms, it would be very hard for gay people to have a good idea if someone they've just met is also gay. The accent and mannerisms help them cut to the chase.

PLOlover
08-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Is this the same APA that said adult sex with children is good for children?

stigmata
08-12-2005, 10:53 AM
I agree with what you are saying, in that it is just a "culture", in the same way that goths, or jocks or city workers each have some sort of identifying conformity.

HopeydaFish
08-12-2005, 11:02 AM
David Cross has a comedy bit where he talks about how all rednecks have the same accent, no matter where they're from in the US. A redneck in Montana sounds almost identical to a redneck in Texas, for instance.

I don't think that the gay accent (or the redneck accent for that matter) is fake. It's just that you tend to emulate the accent of your social group, and eventually you've emulated it for so long that it becomes your normal way of speaking.

DavidC
08-12-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it bother you because you don't like the way it sounds or because you're a bigot?

Btw, my mom said this to me the other day, "I don't have a problem with gays I just don't want to see them kissing around me" ....uh yeah I think that means you have a problem with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...

Well, I think the reason that the accent bothers me is that I dn't accept that there should be a linkage between sexual orientation and the way someone talks. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I mean, honestly, I've been to parties where there have been gay couples, and I've just kinda tried not to look. It was a weird experience, but not a big deal. But it drives me nuts when they talk "like pansies" for lack of a better expression.

Again, pardon my expression, because I honestly don't want to offend anyone, but it kinda bugs me, because it seems like an act or a social conformist thing on their behalf. I don't think it says good things about them.

Keep in mind that I have no medical / psychological education, which is why I would love to learn about WHY this accent happens.

--Dave.

sexdrugsmoney
08-12-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the male minds way of trying to act feminine, because it now feels feminine for the similarities it percieves to a woman's.

That's my guess. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[censored]
08-12-2005, 09:39 PM
ya it's pretty stupid but I don't think it is as common as TV would have you believe.

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But it drives me nuts when they talk "like pansies" for lack of a better expression.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you say something like this, and then follow it up immediately with...

[ QUOTE ]
Again, pardon my expression, because I honestly don't want to offend anyone

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, and ignore away, but you have issues...Deep rooted issues...if you cannot see what is wrong with this.

Talk2BigSteve
08-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Who know where it came from but some of the sissy limp wristed pansies make me want to puke, they watch way too much Will & Grace and think that Jack is the Ultimate GAY ICON.

I swear if I ever act that gay in public that anyone one of you who sees me has the right to slap the [censored] out of me with a copy of the King James Version of the Bible!

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

sexdrugsmoney
08-12-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who know where it came from but some of the sissy limp wristed pansies make me want to puke, they watch way too much Will & Grace and think that Jack is the Ultimate GAY ICON.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Carson from Queer Eye?

Thoughts?

Talk2BigSteve
08-12-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dress him in plaid and stripes together and drag him down main street as an example to the other sissified queens.

DavidC
08-12-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I swear if I ever act that gay in public that anyone one of you who sees me has the right to slap the [censored] out of me with a copy of the King James Version of the Bible!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, Steve!

Yeah, I'm sorry I used the word "pansies" in one of my posts, and I'd like to clear up that by "tried not to look" I meant "While they were macking".

For that matter, now that I'm single, it kinda bothers me when straight people mack too...

It's been a while. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

sexdrugsmoney
08-12-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dress him in plaid and stripes together and drag him down main street as an example to the other sissified queens.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's "bear" talk Big Steve. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

rusellmj
08-12-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dress him in plaid and stripes together...

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to be cruel.

Talk2BigSteve
08-12-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, Steve!

Yeah, I'm sorry I used the word "pansies" in one of my posts, and I'd like to clear up that by "tried not to look" I meant "While they were macking".

For that matter, now that I'm single, it kinda bothers me when straight people mack too...

It's been a while. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you sorry for the word pansies?

I have a few words for them but I don't think I can get it passed the censors. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Talk2BigSteve
08-13-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dress him in plaid and stripes together...

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to be cruel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cruel, Please...Watching him dig through peoples clothes with salad tongs...that is cruel.

BottlesOf
08-13-2005, 02:06 AM
Mental Health professoinals change their minds on these issues all the time. DSM much?