PDA

View Full Version : Moving up

C-Dog
08-12-2005, 05:29 AM
I have beat the Party Poker 1/2 6 Max for 2.98 BB/100 over 34000 hands, and I would like to move up. I was just going to move to the 2/4 full game, but I find that I just don't like playing the full game as much as the SH game. I suppose I am just a LAG at heart. So, should I just try the 2/4 6 max at other sites, or keep playing the 1/2 at party (I do get rakeback). The next step on party would be the 3/6, is it all that similar to the 1/2 game? How much of a bankroll should I have to take my shot at the 3/6 game, is the 2000 I earned at 1/2 enough or should I work on my game and get another 1000 at 1/2 and then take a more properly bankrolled attempt at the 3/6 6 max?

Sorry I rambled, it's late and sometimes I just ramble. I can post more stats if you like, though several of you have probably played with me at the 1/2 level by this point (if you play that level). I did hose those hands I posted earlier this week though, so maybe I should keep going after the 1/2 game, and just increase my table count...

I wish I could put a cohesive thought together /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Any thoughts on a good move up pattern for SH play?

C-Dog

wackjob
08-12-2005, 05:35 AM
$2000 is plenty to play 3/6 SH @ party or anywhere. I found the 2/4 SH @ Absolute super easy to conquer for like 6BB/100 or something over a long stretch. Absolute also has the best bonuses of just about any site.

Drontier
08-12-2005, 05:39 AM
2000 is not plenty for 3/6. I recommend you have at least... 3500 before you do this if money is at all a concern. Of course if you're unafraid of losing that 2000, step right up. I'm more of the adventurous type, so I will take shots without sufficient bankroll. I dare warn that I do not recommend it thought :P. 200 bb swings are pretty common, and they will CRIPPLE you.

Drontier
08-12-2005, 05:41 AM
and please take this to heart. don't let the above post screw your life up haha. you really dont have sufficient bankroll, it just all depends on how muhc it would affect you. The safe way isn't exactly the doyle brunson way, but its the way to go for most people.

ArturiusX
08-12-2005, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2000 is not plenty for 3/6. I recommend you have at least... 3500 before you do this if money is at all a concern. Of course if you're unafraid of losing that 2000, step right up. I'm more of the adventurous type, so I will take shots without sufficient bankroll. I dare warn that I do not recommend it thought :P. 200 bb swings are pretty common, and they will CRIPPLE you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends if he's willing to move down or not. I'm playing 3/6 with only 350BB, but I'm willing to drop down if I get a 200BB blip.

I say go for it, at the very least you'll learn.

cmwck
08-12-2005, 05:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I found the 2/4 SH @ Absolute super easy to conquer for like 6BB/100 or something over a long stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny.

wackjob
08-12-2005, 05:46 AM
BR is an interesting thing in how people relate to it and what they are comfortable with. I play 5/10 with a 2K BR & never have problems. I have had to actually take money from my online acct back to a poker site once in the last year.

2000 is PLENTY to play 3/6 if you are a fairly decent SH player. If you step into 3/6 and drop 100+BB in a short time, it's easy to step back down & re-evaluate.

If you don't think 2000 is a comfortable amount for 3/6, I would suggest that you do play 2/4 at a diff. site.(see my other post)

Poldi
08-12-2005, 05:47 AM
I took a shot at 3/6 when I had 2k, was planning to move back down when I lose 50BB.
Well, I hit a nice upswing and never looked back.

pfkaok
08-12-2005, 05:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I play 5/10 with a 2K BR & never have problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

this could be a problem.

pfkaok
08-12-2005, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

$2000 is plenty to play 3/6 SH @ party or anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, plenty to "take a shot", but not plenty if you're expecting on sticking with it if you start off poorly.

though since you're playing 1/2, you could certianly devote $1000 to party's 3/6, then if things go bad you'd still have 500 BB for 1/2. and with $1000 you'll at least have a decent shot at making it if things start out okay.

wackjob
08-12-2005, 05:57 AM
It absolutely could be a problem. I think 5K is a well-funded 5/10 BR myself. However, I have never had issue & if I have a downswing that my BR can't handle I move down until I can rebuild. Its my style & works well for me. If I stuck to tight BR requirements I'd probably still be playing 2/4 or 3/6.

TheMetetron
08-12-2005, 06:03 AM
I have $27,000 for $10/20 SH.

Over-rolled? Yes. But since I do this for a living, I like it that way.

wackjob
08-12-2005, 06:08 AM
Its a good point to make. Are people playing for fun/their livelyhood/some extra fun money? For me its a supplimental extra income & toy money.

If you are making your living playing online I think your BR takes on a whole new meaning. You must be able to handle a large swing, still pay your bills, and still have enough to play comfortably at your limit.

oreogod
08-12-2005, 06:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus...how long it take u to build that up? Just curious as that is a ton in comparison to the limit u play.

MrEngenic
08-12-2005, 07:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus...how long it take u to build that up? Just curious as that is a ton in comparison to the limit u play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I have 6.6k and I play 1/2 shorthanded right now. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I will step up to 2/4 full pretty soon.

Nietzsche
08-12-2005, 08:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are making your living playing online I think your BR takes on a whole new meaning. You must be able to handle a large swing, still pay your bills, and still have enough to play comfortably at your limit.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is why bankroll discussion always get screwed up. Different perspectives.

Another important issue. If you are planning on playing 1 table focusing intently on every little aspect then the bankroll requirements will be a lot less than if you plan only playing 4 tables from the word go.

Stack
08-12-2005, 08:15 AM
Play a few sessions of 3/6 and see how you feel. Play 2 tables maximum for starters. Post hands and get feedback. Then you can reevaluate if you should stay there or go back down.

DON'T GET STUCK THERE. IF IT DOESN'T GO WELL, GO BACK DOWN. It will always be there for when you're ready.

Other thing to think about: Since you mentioned RB, 2/4 full is a great place to multitable and make $$. Not as fun as SH though.

Good luck whatever you do.

RunDownHouse
08-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Seriously, just take a shot. The 3/6 doesn't play so differently from 1/2 that you'll be lost, and its not a difficult game by any stretch of the imagination. Take $600-$1k and make that your 3/6 experiment.

I would consider comfort with the pots more important than if you drop 50BBs right away or something like that. If you find you don't want to cap because that's an extra $12 you need to put in, you're not ready.

DMBFan23
08-12-2005, 09:00 AM
C-Dog,

why not play 2/4 6-max at a site like Ultimate Bet, Stars, or Absolute? you'll get the benefit of a slightly tougher game at stakes that are more manageable psychologically. you have a good roll, and there are rakeback deals out there for UB and Absolute, so you should be able to handle the 2/4 swings. if after <insert number here> thousand hands you feel ready to move up, then hey take a shot at 3/6.

RunDownHouse
08-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Stop being sensible and advising people to leave Party.

aslowjoe
08-12-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

why not play 2/4 6-max at a site like Ultimate Bet, Stars, or Absolute? you'll get the benefit of a slightly tougher game at stakes that are more manageable psychologically. you have a good roll, and there are rakeback deals out there for UB and Absolute, so you should be able to handle the 2/4 swings. if after <insert number here> thousand hands you feel ready to move up, then hey take a shot at 3/6.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the route I took. You seem alittle risk averse that is maybe the best route. If you are not risk averse by all means Party 3/6 6-max.

DMBFan23
08-12-2005, 10:55 AM
yeah cause I want more people who read this site at party /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Zoelef
08-12-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
C-Dog,

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, if you've been stacking bonuses at Stars or UB, 2-4 SH is a good place to churn through them.

Silverback
08-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Dont jump straight to $3/6

1. if $2000 is all you got its not enough. You need $3600 minimum, unless it really doesnt bother you and you feel totally comfortable taking the risk of playing a higher limit. My advice is get in good habits now, as in if you jump up to $3/$6 to early and end up doing well at some point in the future you might make the same mistake again at a higher limit and pay the price there. Most players get a decent downswing at some point, those who advocate not to have decent bankroll havent had a decent downswing yet.

2. $1/$2 is nothing like $3/$6, anyone who says it is hasnt played both limits at party since $3/$6 6 max started. $3/$6 is tighter and more aggressive. You cant find passive tables as easily as on $1/$2.
You need to be happy with your blind steal and blind defence play as it definetly comes into play alot more.

I say play $2/$4 shorthand at other sites, that game is fairly similar to $1/$2.

$2/$4 full is also good option, but I find it boring, I much prefer 6 max.

C-Dog
08-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I will try and get a rakeback account on Ultimate Bet, does anyone know if you can just close your current UB account and then open up a new one with rakeback? I will search the Internet Forum for this info I guess.

As for the 2/4 full game, it just isn't as fun as the 1/2, and there are an awful lot of rocks on that limit on party these days. Not that you can't find a good game, but not as good as it once was /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

I think I will grind another G at the 1/2, I should work on increasing my MT ratio anyway.

C-Dog

MrTeddyKGB
08-12-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should do something else with your money any more than 10k at the most extrem is collecting dust. Put your money to work.

popeye18
08-12-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I found the 2/4 SH @ Absolute super easy to conquer for like 6BB/100 or something over a long stretch. Absolute also has the best bonuses of just about any site.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats game selection like at 2/4 6max here? Can you find 3-4 good tables at all times?

RunDownHouse
08-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Why no Absolute? The bottomless bonus really is a nice way to cover your ass while moving up a limit, especially since you can combine it with rakeback.

The biggest issue - for me - was game selection. You may have to mix in a game of 1/2 or 3/6 short on occasion.

EDIT: During prime times you can almost always find 3 good tables. During slow times, you might have problems finding 3 tables that are actually going. You never need to worry about 4 tables, since you can't 4-table there anyways.

C-Dog
08-12-2005, 02:29 PM
I thought people were kidding about Absolute. I can create an account on there and check it I guess.

C-Dog

DMBFan23
08-12-2005, 02:51 PM
the games are tighter at absolute for sure, I thought UB was a better game, and better sofware by far. but, you should check it out and see what you like.

ggbman
08-12-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BR is an interesting thing in how people relate to it and what they are comfortable with. I play 5/10 with a 2K BR & never have problems. I have had to actually take money from my online acct back to a poker site once in the last year.

2000 is PLENTY to play 3/6 if you are a fairly decent SH player. If you step into 3/6 and drop 100+BB in a short time, it's easy to step back down & re-evaluate.

If you don't think 2000 is a comfortable amount for 3/6, I would suggest that you do play 2/4 at a diff. site.(see my other post)

[/ QUOTE ]

Your claim to beat the 2-4 6 max on absolute for 6BB/100 is just ridiculous, and playing 5-10 with a 2k bankroll is not a good idea. If it works for you, great, but don't tell other people they should do things which will usually lead them down the path to going broke.

oreogod
08-12-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I found the 2/4 SH @ Absolute super easy to conquer for like 6BB/100 or something over a long stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

You dont exactly need to know how to play when you are running way hot. Poker is an easy game when u always hit.

Womble
08-12-2005, 04:31 PM
I have not played absolute but there are only 3 tables of 2/4 6max running and they have vpip >60! Looked in on a few and they look pretty good /images/graemlins/smile.gif

stir
08-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Nobody in this thread referred to your throw-in comment at the end about hosing some hands and staying at $1/2.

So I read the hands you posted the last few days, and you did hose several. I think you have a quite a bit to learn. Therefore, I believe your wisest course
is to continue at 1/2, post more hands and learn, learn learn before you move up.

It is quite possible you could run hot at 2/4 or 3/6 for the first 10-15K hands, but that won't necessarily make you any better player.

kahntrutahn
08-12-2005, 04:36 PM
I went straight to 5/10 (I dont think party had 3/6 6MAX until recently)

C-Dog
08-12-2005, 06:24 PM
Thats what I was thinking, staying with the 1/2 for some more hands, and then moving up from there. Back to the posting of hands for me...

C-Dog