PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in Paris

gulebjorn
08-12-2005, 04:44 AM
Going to Paris for a few days next week with the girlfriend.

We're gonna see the Eiffel tower, the Louvre, the Arc de Triomphe and all that stuff, but...

Does anyone have any original suggestions about things that are not in every travel guide? Any restaurants that are really good and not too expensive?

Thanks.

sirio11
08-12-2005, 04:56 AM
Probably you already know, but don't forget to buy the "Museum Pass"; it saves you a lot of money to visit all the important stuff in Paris and you don't have to wait in lines !! with this pass. You can buy it in any Metro station.

gulebjorn
08-12-2005, 05:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Probably you already know, but don't forget to buy the "Museum Pass"; it saves you a lot of money to visit all the important stuff in Paris and you don't have to wait in lines !! with this pass. You can buy it in any Metro station.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I didn't, thanks a lot. I know there are metro-passes that let you take all the subways for free for a few days, didn't know they had the same thing for musea. I'm not sure we're gonna be visiting that many, kinda depends on the weather. Not having to wait in line is also a very nice thing.

Edit: Is this only for musea or can you get on the Eiffel Tower and stuff like that too with this pass?

pokerdirty
08-12-2005, 05:08 AM
night vision.

sirio11
08-12-2005, 05:11 AM
Last time we went, it was for all the important museums in Paris, Louvre, Orsay, Rodin, etc. It was for some other stuff also, like Arc de Triomphe, Saint Chapelle, Pantheon, but it was not for the Eiffel tower. This *link* (http://www.museums-of-paris.com/list-museum-pass.php) list all the monuments and museums accepted with the pass.

shant
08-12-2005, 05:28 AM
Climax.

WillMagic
08-12-2005, 06:39 AM
Having just arrived back home after three months in Paris, I've got some good recommendations.

Musee D'Orsay is a must see.

The Champs Elysees sucks. Climbing the Arc de Triomphe is a fun thing to do...but get out of there after that.

The Louvre is massively crowded. Try to go during off-hours if you can.

Notre Dame is a must see, especially because there's no wait - you can just walk right in to the most famous cathedral in the world.

Across the Seine from Notre Dame on the Left Bank is one of the most unique bookstores on the planet, Shakespeare and Company. Read more at www.shakespeareco.org. (http://www.shakespeareco.org.)

Next to Shakespeare & Co is the Cafe Leffe, a really good restaurant. Go for the duck confit, perhaps with an Orval to wash it down. Notre Dame/Shakespeare & Company is a great way to spend a couple hours.

Other than the Cafe Leffe, I don't have any other specific recommendations food-wise. You will almost certainly be surrounded by small cafes and brasseries that serve out-of-this-world food. Just give them a shot.

You don't have to tip. Every restaurant/cafe tacks on 15% to your bill for service. However, even small tips (1 euro on a 30 euro bill) will get big-time thank-yous.

But most of all, I just urge that you walk around. Stop at cafes, get some coffee, walk around some more. There may not be a more pleasant place to wander than Montmartre. Quiet, pleasant, and beautiful...and if you have energy to hike up a ways, the Sacre Coeur is beautiful and has a great view.

Have fun.

Will

thatpfunk
08-12-2005, 06:57 AM
Picasso museum?

Chris Daddy Cool
08-12-2005, 07:07 AM
take a river boat tour at night.

KaneKungFu123
08-12-2005, 07:18 AM
watch some women's volleyball then get the hell out of there.

thatpfunk
08-12-2005, 07:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I expected more from you KKF. France can be an amazing country.

Lazymeatball
08-12-2005, 08:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't have to tip. Every restaurant/cafe tacks on 15% to your bill for service. However, even small tips (1 euro on a 30 euro bill) will get big-time thank-yous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear the service sucks over there (especially for those who don't speak French), precisely for the reason listed above.

I also experienced really crappy service when I was in Montreal, which I believe is due to the French influence.

kenberman
08-12-2005, 08:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
take a river boat tour at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

also, when you go to the Eiffel Tower, make sure it's at night. during the daytime, it's very meh. just a big tower of steel and iron or whatever.

at night it is lit up, and looks much nicer. there are also tons of people having picnics in the field (champs de mar) behind it. it's pretty cool...take a few bottles of wine, some sandwiches, and a blanket, and just hang out there.

as far as sightseeing goes, Paris is a wonderful city, but not nec. b/c of it's landmarks. yeah, I guess you should see the Arc De Triumphe and the Opera House, but whatever those could be in any city (Notre Dame, though, is certainly worth your time).

as another poster said, take time to wonder around the streets, and linger in cafes. enjoying a 2 hour lunch, or sitting at a cafe having drinks at night is what Parisians do, and what tourists don't do enough of.

Yeti
08-12-2005, 08:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't get it. That was pretty damn good.

08-12-2005, 08:27 AM
let me preface this by saying that i was 18 at the time, and with friends, not girlfriend. that being said, there's this restaurant, Sargeant Du Recruiter, you pay a fixed rate, get an entree(duck, lamb etc) all you can eat vegetables and dried sausages, and all you can drink wine. it's not that expensive as i remeber. I don't remeber exactly where it was though. i feel like it was right near a river (is there a river in paris?) This place was fantastic though, but if they try to cut you off from the wine, don't try to steal a bottle or the waitstaff gets a little fussy. One more thing, i recomend climbing the eiffel tower instead of taking the elevator. it's a bit of a hike, but taking the elevator is like driving up a mountain instead of climbing it, and there was a huge line for the elevator when i was ther, and no line for the stairs.

kenberman
08-12-2005, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hear the service sucks over there (especially for those who don't speak French), precisely for the reason listed above.

[/ QUOTE ]

"customer service", as Americans know it, is much different in most of Europe than in America. The culture in most of these places is just different. Most Americans(especially in the hospitality/tourism) industy will bend over backwards to make a buck. this isn't true in other places, where quality of life is more important than making a buck.

KaneKungFu123
08-12-2005, 08:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was joking. it was a jab at zee justin from his poker blog.

Peter666
08-12-2005, 08:44 AM
Two words: Rue Pigalle

mason55
08-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Turn into a werewolf

sfer
08-12-2005, 09:33 AM
Bad time of year. Everyone's on vacation there.

KaneKungFu123
08-12-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bad time of year. Everyone's on vacation there.

[/ QUOTE ]

then stay away from the nude beaches with all the foriegn men.

Larimani
08-12-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Two words: Rue Pigalle

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you meant Place Pigalle... and Rue St. Denis.

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm sure it has already been mentioned, but leaving Paris would be tops on my list.

But, if you have the means to leave the city, I would go to Normandy and visit Omaha Beach. I think it would be my only 'must visit' on the trip.

May not be Disneyland, but it is not often you get to visit a piece of timeless history.

Far too many have forgotten.

djoyce003
08-12-2005, 11:25 AM
do not forget to see Notre Dame....easily the best thing I saw in Paris and freaking unreal that it was built so long ago...it's amazing.

Dominic
08-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Check out the Rodin museum - it's pretty incredible and my favorite museum in the world. And it's very romantic.

http://www.rodinmuseum.org/

Also, I would definitely visit Sacre Couer in Montmartre...if you want to be goofy, watch "Amelie" before you go and then try and find the places in the movie.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/France/Ile_de_France/Paris-99080/Things_To_Do-Paris-Amelie_Poulains_Paris-BR-1.html

Seriously, just walking along the Seine for hours on end is incredible...take one of the river cruises - they're like taxis - you can get off or on at any point. Or do one of the dinner cruises:

http://www.cometofrance.com/dinner.html

Also, make sure at least one meal per day is had from the street vendors - crepes, baguetes, etc.

If your girl is into that sort of thing, check out the original Crazy Horse - it's very cool and a lot of fun.

http://www.lecrazyhorseparis.com/

And don't be put off by others here - I've always found the Parisians to be very friendly and helpful if you just attempt to speak a little French. I had a waiter once who was great - he playfully refused to take my order until I attempted to order in French (my Mom and sister had done so) - he kept saying, "uh, uh uh....en Francais..." until I tried.

All in all, Paris is my favorite city in the world - I'm going to take my soon-to-be-wife there on our honeymoon.

Have fun!

daryn
08-12-2005, 11:41 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

No I didn't, thanks a lot. I know there are metro-passes that let you take all the subways for free for a few days, didn't know they had the same thing for musea. I'm not sure we're gonna be visiting that many, kinda depends on the weather. Not having to wait in line is also a very nice thing.

Edit: Is this only for musea or can you get on the Eiffel Tower and stuff like that too with this pass?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=musea

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=museums

gulebjorn
08-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions everyone.

I've already been to Paris once, like 11 years ago, and I'm really looking forward to going back. Of all major cities I've visited (Brussels, London, Prague, New York, DC, Barcelona), I've found Paris to be the most beautiful.

gulebjorn
08-12-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=musea

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=museums

[/ QUOTE ]

In Dutch (latin too I think), the correct plural is musea. I guess it's different in English...

gilper
08-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Musee National Picasso is a must see and it's in a great neighborhood with several galleries and shops worth checking out.

Le Florimond is an excellent restaurant on La Motte Piquet a few blocks from Tour Eiffel. Prices are very reasonable, I recommend the lobster ravioli.

Moulin Rouge is a little touristy because of the movie but they put on a good show, and it's topless. You'll probably need reservations. After the show have a few drinks in one of the nearby clubs.

cadillac1234
08-12-2005, 11:57 AM
You've got to see L'Egots (the sewer system) and The Catacombs. The Catacombs are on the short list of the craziest things I have ever seen in my life. Literally a mile of bones piled up in stacks in limestone caves all beneath Paris.

Out of Paris:
If you get a chance, Versaile on a Sunday with the fountains going is pretty spectacular but really crowded. Chartre has the most universally accepted perfect gothic cathedral. Mont St Michel is amazing especially if you can managed to stay long enough to watch the tides go in and out. Normandy Beach is quite a somber place.

And believe it or not...I've found the Parisians to be the most helpful people out of all the places I've ever been to.

OtisTheMarsupial
08-12-2005, 02:00 PM
I went to Paris a few years ago and the most memorable things were:
Eiffel Tower
Metro
Musee D'Orsay
Cemetaries
Cinemas

The best thing is the cafes. You can get wine in the morning, sit outdoors and drink your cafe au lait...

It really does not matter one bit what you do in Paris, it's going to be magical and romantic no matter what. God, these memories are so great - I want to go back right now! You're going to love it.

PanchoVilla
08-12-2005, 02:08 PM
My take on Paris.
You said restaurant, cheap, Paris. Sorry you can only have two of those. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Musee Dor'say = pretty cool
Louvre = cool but crowded
Eiffel Tower = didn't have time to hit the top
Subway = far less useful than the tube in London, mainly useful for getting to/from the airport/train station.

Best transportation for sightseeing is those big double decker tour busses. There is two or three companies. Sure you get to see stuff and get some lame audio commentary, but they are super useful since they stop at a lot of stuff worth visiting. They run a loop with many busses, so you just get off at what you want to see, then go catch the next bus when you are done. The busses are 15-30 mins apart. You can probably get a two-day pass for them. (In London these things are great. You get live tour guides and ours was funny as hell).

If at all possible play at the Aviation club. It is right there on the Champs Elysee. That and the hotel was the ONLY place in Paris where the people were actually nice. I think if you actually abused a dealer anything like I have ever seen in the states they would likely toss you out the second story window it was great.

Pancho

Wintermute
08-12-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check out the Rodin museum.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

Ray Zee
08-12-2005, 03:21 PM
stop in at the aviation club and see the poker. then eat dinner there as it is awesome for a fixed price full meal, 40 bucks or so.
picasso mus. and the mus. of modern art(called the pomadieu) are high on my list.
have fun

MrMon
08-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Okay, I've never been to Paris but I've been to France. But if I were going to go and wanted to see something most people don't, I'd track down a copy of the book "Permanent Parisians". (There's also a companion called "Permanent Londerers") They are guidebooks to the city's graveyards.

Outside of Paris, if you are in the Brittany area, go see something called Carnac. One of the truly great megalithic sites in the world, you'll be amazed that it was built over 5000 years ago.

TheIrishThug
08-12-2005, 04:12 PM
this thread had far too few hilton references. but those that were there were great.

ChipWrecked
08-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Patton Oswalt's (http://www.pattonoswalt.com/ht/spew_july.html#070405) account of his Paris trip. Hilarious.

felson
08-12-2005, 05:54 PM
If you go to the Louvre when they open in the morning, it won't be crowded at all.

Eiffel Tower at night is amazing. And there's no line if you go late.

The modern art museum that Ray mentioned is great too.

mslif
08-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Born and raised in France.... If you can you should try to go on those boats (called bateau mouche) that run on the Seine (river), you will be able to have a great dinner and see a lot of the "Old Paris". It will be very romantic as well (I think you mentioned you will be there with your gf)

If you want to go to the Louvre, just be aware that the visit will take you almost an entire day.

Versailles is also so beautiful and one of my favorite spot. You can take a train there (for cheap).

For food, just try some of those little cafes in the little side streets, (not on the Champs Elysee, too expensive and not that great) they always have good specials and the people are always friendly.

Have a great time

Analyst
08-12-2005, 06:51 PM
The museum pass is an absolute must, not for the monetary savings but the time savings. Especially in August, who wants to spend an hour standing in line? Orsay &gt;&gt;&gt; Louvre

As Ray Zee said, the restaurant at the Aviation Club is quite good and, for what you're getting, very reasonably priced. Does Ray ever give bad advice?

I really like cheese. If you really like cheese, go to L'Androuet.

Go one block down almost any sidestreet and you will find a good bistro/brasserie. Very good food, good prices and good service, especially if you at least try to order in French.

It's August - have some ice cream (well, it's a lot better than that!) at Berthillon on the Ile St-Louis.

If you play at the Aviation Club and win, go to L'Ambroisie. Make reservations, wear nice clothes. You'll spend $500+ for 2; "not too expensive" is a relative term in this case. It could be argued that $500 is not too expensive for what you'll eat there.

MoreWineII
08-12-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Things to do in Paris

[/ QUOTE ]

Jizz.

Oh somebody beat me to it.

StevieG
08-12-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My take on Paris.
You said restaurant, cheap, Paris. Sorry you can only have two of those. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

au contraire

While there is the opportunity for expensive haute cuisine, like mslif says, there are plenty of small neighborhood places with great food that won't kill you. Ask around, and take advantage of the prix fixe options on the menu.

One guilty pleasure of mine when in Paris is to eat mussels at Leon of Bruxelles. A chain in France, but the mussels are great and the prices are what you might expect from a chain restaurant in the States.

StevieG
08-12-2005, 09:34 PM
In case you are interested, here are the locations in Paris for Leon of Bruxelles (http://www.leon-de-bruxelles.fr/gif/ou/paris.htm)

There's one on the Champs-Elysées at number 63. Aviation club is 104.

HtotheNootch
08-12-2005, 09:57 PM
First and foremost, read/re-read Hemingway's "A Moveable Feast".

Once you're there, go to the Alma Tunnel and laugh at the idiots leaving memorials for Princess Dianna.

08-13-2005, 01:23 AM
That really was a sweet bookstore Will. Thanks again.

Analyst
08-13-2005, 04:07 PM
I forgot add: Go see Sainte Chappelle, very near Notre Dame. Incredible stained glass.