PDA

View Full Version : What are my chances of getting a job?

Tommy Angelo
03-25-2003, 11:09 AM
If only I had an alarm clock. It's just a dream I've had. To get rid of this incessant burden of having to discipline my life and time without anyone to tell me what to do or when to do it. And wouldn't it be fine to know what my net worth will be tomorrow or next year. And to leave the house to earn money, and always come back worth more than when I left.

I think if I practice and read, and build down my bankroll, I think I can do it. I know it's just a crazy dream, to owe my time to someone else, but hey, with effort, I think I can overcome my fear of stability and make it happen.

Or maybe not.

Tommy

astroglide
03-25-2003, 11:34 AM
the topic beat the post, but still, well done /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Baltimore Ron
03-25-2003, 12:26 PM
Tommy,

There will be those on this forum who will want to squash your dream of being a professional working person. Don't let them. Study, practice and believe that it can happen. And when it does, I'll be the first to welcome you into the brotherhood of working stiffs.

BR

And, didn't I tell everyone to...

snakehead
03-25-2003, 03:27 PM
why does the J word always slip past the 2+2 censors?

Noo Yawk
03-25-2003, 06:40 PM
Hi Tommy.
Your post hit home for me in this particular week of my life.
Yesterday I handed in my resignation for a six figure job, company car and other assorted perks. After 23 years, my company was sold 3 months ago to the most arrogent group of people I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. I'm fortunate enough to have enjoyed my career prior to this, and to have greatly benefited financialy from it. My former employers treated me with a great deal of respect, and considered me a very important part of their family.
When the new management team decided to visit my operation last week, their tone was condescending, arrogent and full of veiled threats. I decided that life was too short to be miserable and handed in my notice. Within 2 hours of my annoncement, I had 4 offers for jobs from folks who knew me and appreciated what I had to offer. You see, I knew that I was financialy set for a while, and that getting a job with similar pay would not be hard. I also know that the people who came to look at my operation where shocked by my annoncement.
The moral of the story is:
1) It was never hard for me to give my time to a career where I was treated well and enjoyed the economic benefits of my hard work.
2) It was never hard for me to leave when I felt I'd be miserable.
3) Working hard, and being a nice, polite human being, made it easy to get something else in less than one day.

In other words, be happy and do what you feel is best for you with absolutely no regrets. The world is beautiful place, it just happens to be polluted with a few knuckleheads.

CreamPuff
03-26-2003, 12:43 AM

buddycat
03-26-2003, 06:54 AM
What if you're mind goes bad? I guess then you could get on disability. Looks like you're stuck without a job for life.

Tommy Angelo
03-26-2003, 10:53 AM
"What if you're mind goes bad?"

I'd have no choice but to get a job.

AmericanAirlines
03-26-2003, 02:53 PM
Hi Tommy,
Well let me put it this way. If you can handle the bankroll fluctuations and have a life you like, screw the job.

It's pointless to work for others if there's not some reason too, assuming your are doing OK by your own standards.

Besides, most jobs pay less than the required 6 figures needed to by a nice place to live these days anyway, so unless your house and car are paid for, why would you want some typical job anyway.

Trust me, the middle or working classes are something to escape, despite all the political rhetoric to the contrary. Preferably by going over the top (i.e by earning more), less preferably, by dropping out through the bottom (i.e becoming a bum).

So if poker is getting you through... well wy bother working unless you will make bigger bucks?

Of course, you can always go back to poker if you hate it.

(How's that for a switch? Usually it's "You can go get a JOB if it doesn't work out!")

Sincerely,
AA

Inthacup
03-26-2003, 04:35 PM
I think you're missing the suble point Tommy is making here AA. There have been several posts on this forum lately that are titled somthing like "What are my chances of going pro" or something to that effect. I believe Tommy wrote a satire on these posts from the other perspective.

buddycat
03-27-2003, 08:50 AM
No wonder you're a writer for Poker Pages. You have made an interesting post. With all of the posts I read about why not to become a poker pro, I get one from a poker pro which tells me there's no way in hell he's getting a job. Must be going pretty damn good there poker pro. I guess if you and others can be successful at it maybe I can too. Then i can be a cocky, jobless, non-alarm clock answeringc poker playing, hunting, fishing, and working out scoopmaster.

Hey, You write for Poker Pages. I guess you found a job after all.

Ulysses
03-27-2003, 03:07 PM
Hey, You write for Poker Pages. I guess you found a job after all.

Yeah, with the fat checks Tommy must be getting from Poker Pages for those columns, I'm surprised I ever see him at the table.

AmericanAirlines
03-27-2003, 05:14 PM
Hi Inthacup,
No I recognize that Tommy has a history of dry sarcasm!

I was just putting my plug in for, "Being a working person sucks, so if you have a way out, take it!"

Just couldn't resist.

:-)

Sincerely,
AA