PDA

View Full Version : Joe Morgan should be shot

sublime
08-12-2005, 03:41 AM
Yes, I blame him for this:

Scroll down and vote in the poll (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index)

RBI's are rated more important than AVG/HR/SLG (which is voted most overrated)OBP.

Really? How hard is to properly educate fans about fairly simple statistical information?

Also, last night he sad this about Jason Kendall, who has not hit a HR in a quite a long time:

"he probably wont hit one here in Oakland, but rather by accident on the road"

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

irishpint
08-12-2005, 04:03 AM
Which did you put as most over-rated?

I guess he means Oakland is a big park and he's more likely to go yard somewhere smaller? seems weird tho.

sublime
08-12-2005, 04:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I guess he means Oakland is a big park and he's more likely to go yard somewhere smaller? seems weird tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

RBI, followed closely by AVG.

he said that part about NAC being a large park, it was the 'by accident' quote that baffled me. another thing i noticed is he never shuts up. before you can even digest what just happened, he is rambling on saying basically nothing.

irishpint
08-12-2005, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RBI, followed closely by AVG.

he said that part about NAC being a large park, it was the 'by accident' quote that baffled me. anothing thing i noticed is he never shits up. before you can even digest what just happened, he is rambling on saying basically nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'd put average first. RBI can be important (as a twins fan this year i know first hand) because when you have a man on third and 1 out you need to get him in- it doesn't matter how. Situations where you NEED an RBI but not always a hit make me invert your selections I think. But you're right, it's close.

Jack of Arcades
08-12-2005, 05:12 AM
Slugging percentage being overrated baffles me. It, to me, is the perfect replacement for batting average.

This is probably a backlash against 93-to-today, considering most people voting for the poll grew up watching the 80s baseball. In ten years, this will probably be reversed.

DougOzzzz
08-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Actually, I'm not sure SLG is more important than Avg. Sure, AVG is not a very good stat by itself to measure a player's hitting ability. However, SLG is relatively poor as well. AVG is a large component of both OBP and SLG, thus player's with high Avg's will tend to have a high OPS.

Of course, RBI's should be at the top of the list, with HRs next probably. But SLG could possibly be the 3rd least important stat out of the 5.

porkchop
08-12-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, last night he sad this about Jason Kendall, who has not hit a HR in a quite a long time:

"he probably wont hit one here in Oakland, but rather by accident on the road"
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What don't you understand about this comment?

billyjex
08-12-2005, 10:05 AM
RBI's IMO are easily at the top of the list because of how situational they are. Put any player from who bats 8 on the Devil Rays and make him clean up on the Yankees and his RBI will skyrocket but he will still suck. At least AVG wise it is mostly up to the player.

battschr
08-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Joe Morgan Watch (http://www.joemorganwatch.blogspot.com/)

Joe Morgan sucks.

MoreWineII
08-12-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Joe Morgan sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's someone who has way too much time on their hands.

pokerdirty
08-12-2005, 04:08 PM
sublime, we get it. you don't like joe morgan. move on.

battschr
08-12-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Joe Morgan sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so, but here's another (better) one:

Link (http://firejoemorgan.blogspot.com/)

Jack of Arcades
08-12-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I'm not sure SLG is more important than Avg. Sure, AVG is not a very good stat by itself to measure a player's hitting ability. However, SLG is relatively poor as well. AVG is a large component of both OBP and SLG, thus player's with high Avg's will tend to have a high OPS.

Of course, RBI's should be at the top of the list, with HRs next probably. But SLG could possibly be the 3rd least important stat out of the 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Team SLG correlates with RS better than either AVG of OBP, because there's a high correlation between SLG and OBP.

sublime
08-12-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Joe Morgan sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so, but here's another (better) one:

Link (http://firejoemorgan.blogspot.com/)

[/ QUOTE ]

i read fire joe morna every day. hilarious stuff, although i think this man may attempt to kill joe someday.

DougOzzzz
08-12-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Team SLG correlates with RS better than either AVG of OBP, because there's a high correlation between SLG and OBP.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. Team SLG? How about Team RBI? That will have the best correlation.

I might be wrong about SLG, but just seems to me if it's HALF as important as OBP, and AVG is a major component of both OBP and SLG, that maybe AVG is a little more important.

battschr
08-12-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???

[/ QUOTE ]

I might be wrong about SLG, but just seems to me if it's HALF as important as OBP, and AVG is a major component of both OBP and SLG, that maybe AVG is a little more important.

[/ QUOTE ]
OBP>SLG>BA

DougOzzzz
08-12-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
OBP>SLG>BA

[/ QUOTE ]

well gee, I make an argument for average and I get this airtight defense of SLG.

Jack's probably right about the correlation thing, since players with high SLG will tend to have high OBP's. But the reason that players with high SLG tend to have high OBPs (or the main one at least), is because AVG is a part of SLG, so high SLG = high AVG = high OBP.

It's average that ties the two together, mainly. It's also probably true that players with high SLG have a tendency to walk more.

Jack of Arcades
08-12-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
OBP>SLG>BA

[/ QUOTE ]

well gee, I make an argument for average and I get this airtight defense of SLG.

Jack's probably right about the correlation thing, since players with high SLG will tend to have high OBP's. But the reason that players with high SLG tend to have high OBPs (or the main one at least), is because AVG is a part of SLG, so high SLG = high AVG = high OBP.

It's average that ties the two together, mainly. It's also probably true that players with high SLG have a tendency to walk more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... not, not really. I mean, yeah, sorta, but not really.

This can be seen when you look at positional averages. The average 2B and LF have the same average, but LFs outshine them in isolated discipline and isolated power...

I really don't know what you're trying to say. Average is more important than SLG? That's like saying HR are more important than TB. There's such huge variance between IsoD and IsoP among players that it makes avg almost devoid of value when determining the worth of a player.

But you know this, I know you know this, and you're saying something that's confusing me.

DougOzzzz
08-13-2005, 07:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and you're saying something that's confusing me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confusing myself thinking about it, so I'll give up now.

Bill Murphy
08-13-2005, 09:03 AM
Funny thing about Joe, he was such a great player & IIRC Bill James said he was the "smartest" player ever. Funny how Joe's apparently the chief anti-Moneyball-er. And, yes, the Oakland Coliseum is a terrible HR park. RoidsGwire mighta hit 61+ his rookie year in another park.

I have dim memories of enjoying Morgan's game commentaries but I haven't listened to any sporting events other than golf w/the sound on for years and years now.

Dunno about baseball but IMO the most overrated statistic, by far, is team yards gain/allowed in football. Points, points, anyone? Most underrated is prolly +/- in basketball, tho how can a stat be underrated if its not even kept? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

DougOzzzz
08-13-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most underrated is prolly +/- in basketball, tho how can a stat be underrated if its not even kept? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

www.82games.com (http://www.82games.com) .

Probably not the tell-all statistic that some claim it is, but it is useful.