PDA

View Full Version : recommend a driver/bag

tolbiny
08-12-2005, 01:35 AM
vassilated between posting this here or in OOT- not like it should matter much anyway.
I'm looking to buy a new driver- i'm a pretty poor golfer, and have only just recently been able to fix my slice for more than one or two drives in a row. I currently have a cheap spalding set i got second hand a few years ago and want to start upgrading.
I also need a new bag- i haven't settled on a price range (it probably depends on how much i win/lose in the week before i buy it) so feel free to make a few suggestions.

BadBoyBenny
08-12-2005, 07:52 AM
I think both are really a matter of taste. For the driver, how heavy of a clubhead you like, how fast you swing, what feels right.

For the bag, whether you walk or ride, how much stuff you carry in it, how important are looks and price?

FWIW I play a Callaway Hawkeye VFT and have hit other popular drivers like the Taylormades and I'm happy with the Callaway.

I carry a nice Nike bag that is way too expensive, but I needed to use up pro shop credit and didn't have anything else to buy.

HDPM
08-12-2005, 10:19 AM
If you aren't a good golfer, I think the specs of the driver are more important than the brand. Ideal is to have a pro fit you. If you aren't going to do that, and without seeing you hit a ball, odds are you need a driver with as much loft as you can find and a regular shaft. Might not be a bad idea to get a used one with a shaft shorter than the ones they often put in now. If you aren't good and buy an 8 degree driver with a stiff shaft you probably won't hit it well.

I like sun mountain's new SL 3.5 bag. I don't have one, but have a sun mountain that has been OK. I only recommend walking oriented bags given my stance on buggies on the golf course. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Paluka
08-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Clarkmeister is a huge bag, but I don't think I'd let him drive my car.

JTrout
08-12-2005, 12:40 PM
The fit is everything with clubs. Hit several. Get fitted.
Since you fight a slice with Driver- when it comes to loft, error on the side of too much.

PING carry bags are well made. I think the same co. makes them as Sun Mountain.

Did I just repeat HDPM's post? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

3 biggest errors most golfers make in choosing Driver
length too long
Too little loft
Shaft too stiff
and 4. spend too much $$$$

As for my Driver-
It's stiff shaft
+1" in length
and 8.5* loft!
But the price was right! /images/graemlins/grin.gif
Best of luck.

RacersEdge
08-12-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm a pretty poor golfer

[/ QUOTE ]

For now, spend your money on lessons. Why get a driver taylored for a bad swing?

JTrout
08-12-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why get a driver taylored for a bad swing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the time, the specs a person needs for a proper fitting will not change significantly no matter how many lessons they take afterward.

And in the cases where major changes are recommended (from a former fitting) it is highly probable that 1 of the 2 fittings was poorly done.

RacersEdge
08-12-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why get a driver taylored for a bad swing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the time, the specs a person needs for a proper fitting will not change significantly no matter how many lessons they take afterward.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's hard to believe. For one, bad swing mechanics won't let you generate clubhead speed. If you are inconsistent, you'll want a driver with a big forgiving sweet spot, etc.

JTrout
08-12-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are inconsistent, you'll want a driver with a big forgiving sweet spot, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

....like the ones Tiger, VJ, Ernie, and Phil play?

RacersEdge
08-12-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are inconsistent, you'll want a driver with a big forgiving sweet spot, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

....like the ones Tiger, VJ, Ernie, and Phil play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bigger. Phil went to the 3-wood of the tee.

JTrout
08-12-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Phil went to the 3-wood of the tee

[/ QUOTE ]

which has at least 2 of the 3 recommendations I made.
Maybe he's on to something.

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 02:06 PM
The driver has been well covered, JTrout is typically spot on in these matters...

As for a bag, I can definately tell you which brand not to buy....Callaway. They are very poorly made. I picked one up (for the cool factor /images/graemlins/cool.gif) when I purchased my x-16 irons...worst choice ever.

The first one fell apart and was replaced, the 2nd is now being held together by tie-wraps and my sub-par sewing abilities...

08-12-2005, 08:44 PM
If your swing is poor, get a used model from your local golf shop. There are a lot of cheap, forgiving models (I like the Adams products a lot). You should focus on lessons to improve your swing rather than spending a nice chunk of change on an expensive driver. If you can't control the driver, maybe you should consider a 2-wood. It's much more forgiving off the tee and comes in handy on long par 5 approach shots. I own an old Callaway Warhawk 2-wood, and I use it on the narrower, more wind-challenged holes.

edtost
08-14-2005, 12:53 PM
drivers have been pretty well covered.....as for bags, the titleist/sun mountain 3.5 (they're the same bag with differnet logos) is the best, followed closely by the small ping (k56 still?) and the slightly larger ping stand bag.

whatever you do, don't get a bag without a [censored] stand, or one with leather anywhere on it, especially in the strap.

Punker
08-14-2005, 05:08 PM
I don't have anything of note to say about the driver...I got a used Taylor 540 for about $150 or something and I like it. I also got a Nike bag for another $75 or so and I love it.