PDA

View Full Version : OOT Moderation Poll

AngryCola
08-12-2005, 01:11 AM
This poll is designed to allow all of you to make a choice about the immediate future of moderation in OOT. Adding an additional mod for OOT to help out with some of the load when Mat is not available is being strongly considered.

There is one mod whose name stands out for this role.

Dynasty

You have the option of voting to add Dynasty as an additional OOT moderator, or to leave the responsibilities solely with Mat. An additional choice is provided for members who would like to choose neither option and write in their own suggestion.

Thank you for your participation.
(Decision will be implemented at 300 votes unless option 3 is the majority)

[censored]
08-12-2005, 01:12 AM
other

AngryCola
08-12-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
other

[/ QUOTE ]

"please specify" /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Seriously, it would help out to voice whatever opinions you hold.

Beer and Pizza
08-12-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
other

[/ QUOTE ]

other = bring back Jeremy7321 /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

gorie
08-12-2005, 01:22 AM
i don't think it really matters one way or the other as long as there is some somewhat consistant moderation of some sort from someone.

ChipWrecked
08-12-2005, 01:23 AM
I know damn well Dynasty functions as a moderator in OOT anyway, so what's the point? I have seen threads disappear during off hours when Dynasty was posting in OOT. Hard to believe Mat just happened to be around to catch and kill a thread minutes after it went up.

Talk2BigSteve
08-12-2005, 01:24 AM
I vote for myself,

I am probably the most liberal person in OOT and therefore would be the least likely to become power hungry and judgemental.

I have been banned in the past it is not fun.
OOT is a place to have fun, vent, and discuss just about anything, but 2+2 is a business first and we have to respect that.

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

wacki
08-12-2005, 01:25 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/mryoop789/tinfoil-hat.jpg

BusterStacks
08-12-2005, 01:25 AM
god... why are you still here?

Mat Sklansky
08-12-2005, 01:26 AM
This absolutely not the case. I actually have been spending a lot of time here since removing the user mods.
Including the middle of the night as my back surgery and percocet habit have given me both time and insomnia.
Mat

[censored]
I thought THIS (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3122618&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1) was a good idea.

touchfaith
[ QUOTE ]
i don't think it really matters one way or the other as long as there is some somewhat consistant moderation of some sort from someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I volenteer my services. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

kasey2004
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ChipWrecked
[ QUOTE ]
I vote for myself,

I am probably the most liberal person in OOT and therefore would be the least likely to become power hungry and judgemental.

OOT is a place to have fun, vent, and discuss just about anything, but 2+2 is a business first and we have to respect that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't ask us if we wanted to [censored] you, would you?

mmbt0ne
08-12-2005, 01:28 AM
I vote for other. Commodus. Seriously.

Talk2BigSteve
08-12-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I vote for myself,

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't ask us if we wanted to [censored] you, would you?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I got banned for that post actually.

I work 3 days a week 12 hour shifts and the rest of my time is free. I can be here as often as I need to be.

ChipWrecked
08-12-2005, 01:29 AM
pwnd. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

kerssens
08-12-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded...imagine the hilarity when he locks a thread and simply puts a thumbs down post as an explanation.

oneeye13
08-12-2005, 01:44 AM
no mods at all. free for all. or have a mod but take away his computer.

gorie
08-12-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no mods at all. free for all. or have a mod but take away his computer.

[/ QUOTE ]
if we're doing ffa i want to start over as zerg.

Beer and Pizza
08-12-2005, 01:48 AM
We should have a different mod every week.

Lettuce experience the different quirks of all our prominent posters. We can have a couple threads each week to discuss whether we like or dislike the way he/she moderates. Wouldn't that be fun? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

The really good ones can be tapped by Mat for duty in the other forums.

newfant
08-12-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Commodus would be awesome. I also think that [censored] [censored] would be a good mod. He always seems to be fair and balanced.

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 01:52 AM
Ok, I am willing to set aside my assholeness for one post and give my honest opinion on this matter.

IMO, anyone who 'campaigns' to be a moderator, by definition, would be a poor choice. I am not singleing anybody out with that comment, it is simply my honest opinion.

A moderator should not be someone who wants to do the job, but rather someone who is willing to do the job.

A moderator of this type of forum can not be opinionated. They simply need to follow the guidlines setout.

It is not the job of moderation to determine what is funny and what is not, much like we saw when the gimmick account parade went on. What is funny/appropriate to one person, could be the exact opposite to another.

We do not need a personality cop. We simply need someone to delete NSFW crap, move reduntant posts and report (to Mat) inappropriate comments & imposter accounts (so that Mat can decide if a ban is in order).

The 'user moderation' in the past we have seen has been far to subjective, inconsistant and judgemental IMO.

This is not a strategy forum. I really doubt if anyone cares about the number of posts in this forum and if 'good stuff' rolling out of view, much like Jason_T pointed out was happening in SS. The simple fact of the matter is that if a topic is popular, there is no need to worry about volume, because popular posts with be just that, popular, and by definition, remain on the first page (or so), based solely on the amount of replies they receive.

Look at the Sporting Events forum. NolanFan does a great job...and he didn't ask for the job...he was willing to perform the described tasks and is doing so. It's that easy. Without naming names, I wholeheartedly believe that none of the posters that 'applied' for that position would have done nearly as good a job as he.

There are obvious choices, such as Clark, that we all know would do a great job, but I really doubt he has the desire to do such, especially here.

Soul Daddy
08-12-2005, 01:54 AM
You should drop the assholeness permanently. That was a good post.

asofel
08-12-2005, 01:56 AM
wow...so you really are a troll, hmm? no way you can type something intelligent and thought out like this, and then waste 99% of your other posts without meaning to /images/graemlins/wink.gif

newfant
08-12-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The really good ones can be tapped by Mat for duty in the other forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve would be all over that.

AngryCola
08-12-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

There are obvious choices, such as Clark, that we all know would do a great job, but I really doubt he has the desire to do such, especially here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why the desire to do the 'job' is important.
There really aren't that many good (IMO) candidates who are actually willing to do it.

newfant
08-12-2005, 01:58 AM
Nice post, assmunch. (Just kidding. I didn't read it.)

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 02:01 AM
Sorry, but this isn't a serious forum. I get paid good money to be nice to people in the real world. This is where I come to have a little fun and blow off steam.

Just because I can be very opinionated, terse, direct and speak my mind...doesn't mean I don't have a mind.

ThaSaltCracka
08-12-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You should drop the assholeness permanently. That was a good post.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree 100%, you could seriously add to this forum(much like many of the other new posters) by simply not being an assbag. Good post across the board.

ChipWrecked
08-12-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but this isn't a serious forum. I get paid good money to be nice to people in the real world. This is where I come to have a little fun and blow off steam.

Just because I can be very opinionated, terse, direct and speak my mind...doesn't mean I don't have a mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you are a Giants fan.

ThaSaltCracka
08-12-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]no one is hear to blow off steam at other people though, that really is againt what OOT was for many of us. When we talk about "the good old days" (sorry is that sounds way lame), but that was when we all just goofed around, got to know each other, and basically just treated it like it was kickin it with your boys.

Mat Sklansky
08-12-2005, 02:04 AM
It's not too late to add thinman as your write-in candidate. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not too late to add thinman as your write-in candidate. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just funny...on many levels...you would be linched in 12 minutes...maybe less /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nice post /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ThaSaltCracka
08-12-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Mat is there anyway that you could just have a mod, and not have them listed below as one?

gorie
08-12-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i felt like i was in a night at the roxbury while reading your post.

Mat Sklansky
08-12-2005, 02:11 AM
This is a different topic, and perhaps should be it's own thread, but I'm considering another split of OOT. A "good old days oot", and an "OOT Gone Wild" which would be as uncensored as our lawyer, Otis (just kidding; we really do have a top-notch attorney) and Mason allow.

If this is something some of you feel strongly about, go ahead and start up a new thread. I personally can't wait until all these threads revolving around moderation disappear.

Luv2DriveTT
08-12-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This absolutely not the case. I actually have been spending a lot of time here since removing the user mods.
Including the middle of the night as my back surgery and percocet habit have given me both time and insomnia.
Mat

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't know about the back problems Matt, sorry to hear that... it sucks for sure. I had a precocet problem myself post surgery (shattered my elbow and damaged my nervous system), I couldn't sleep, had constant fevers, and I was seeing and hearing weird things. Interestingly enough my Doctor advised smoking something I hadn't since my early 20's. Within 3 months I was able to quit the percocet replacement solution and I was in much better shape. Not sure if it would work for you as well, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

wacki
08-12-2005, 02:13 AM
Man those painkillers must be awesome as you've actually been rather funny today.

Mat Sklansky
08-12-2005, 02:17 AM
It's the withdrawal. I haven't had one yet today. Thank you to any that care about my surgery. It seems to have been a complete success, providing no herniation reoccurence due to movement or scarring. I was taking 12 percocet a day for a month (I needed it) to none today.

If anyone needs a surgeon referral, I had Dr. Bassewitz. The guy's [censored] awesome.

ThaSaltCracka
08-12-2005, 02:19 AM
Mat, do not split up OOT, it really makes no sense.

[ QUOTE ]
I personally can't wait until all these threads revolving around moderation disappear.

[/ QUOTE ] me too, I think this is just a mild storm passing through. Hopefully a mod will be found to roam the wild plains of OOT(and I think it should be one other mod), and I think that should be enough. really, I think you have been overly nice to many of the whiners on this forum. Most of the people who bitch about being banned and about gimmick accounts being locked are mostly immature people, and should really be of no concern to you. If they don't like it, let them leave. We can have plenty of intelligent, funny, and mature conversations here without them, and they would be conversations that wouldn't make your clients squemish.

I have been told by many people that in order to succeed, you may need to cut off certain people, or cut off dead wood, so to speak. I think 2+2 should follow suit.

James Boston
08-12-2005, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm considering another split of OOT. A "good old days oot", and an "OOT Gone Wild"

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you're kidding, but there's no way I see that working. I doubt the people TSC is refering to, when he speaks of those who took OOT from the "good old days" to what we have now, realize it. Creating a "Good Old Days OOT" would be like creating an elite club that EVERYONE thinks they're invited to join. I'm in no way claiming to be "old school," but I notice a desire on this forum where everbody wants to get in on the inside jokes, act like they're old buddies with everybody, etc... No one will freely admit to being "post-good old days."

AngryCola
08-12-2005, 02:22 AM
I completely agree with your entire post, TSC.

This must mean the end is nigh.

Mat Sklansky
08-12-2005, 02:23 AM
Perhaps we should have a forum that revolves around sex only where over the top posts, including ones with nsfw pictures could be moved. This is the last I'll say about it in this thread. Let's hurry up and elect Dynasty and be done with this.

Mat Sklansky
08-12-2005, 02:24 AM
It seems to me that you have whined as much as anybody

ThaSaltCracka
08-12-2005, 02:25 AM
people just need to be more mature, and less confrontational. I feel like I know about 40 or so posters pretty well. The rest that frequent OOT I have no effing clue, and that really is because most of you come across as immature douches. I think if the content was toned down, and the maturity was elevated a bit, we may see some of the older posters come back( I think a lot of them lurk, but don't post). And I think some of you newer guys may see some of what we have been talking about the past 3 or 4 months.

AngryCola
08-12-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had forgotten about that.

You did complain a lot, TSC. Why the change of opinion?

ThaSaltCracka
08-12-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I most certainly haven't whined about modding at all, and anything I said to you was clearly a joke. I think the modding by all of the new mods has been 100% pefect. [censored], I mean I was even warned by one of them. In fact, I have been warned once by you. Of course I have followed suit since then. I am not sure at all what your comment pertains to.

edit: My initial post was clearly about people whining about the mods.

Clarkmeister
08-12-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a different topic, and perhaps should be it's own thread, but I'm considering another split of OOT. A "good old days oot", and an "OOT Gone Wild" which would be as uncensored as our lawyer, Otis (just kidding; we really do have a top-notch attorney) and Mason allow.

If this is something some of you feel strongly about, go ahead and start up a new thread. I personally can't wait until all these threads revolving around moderation disappear.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are only threads about moderation because it's been frustrating for everyone. I doubt there have been repeated discussions at such length in any of the other forums.

Some of this is because this forum is the most difficult to moderate. Some of it is because the moderators have made it more difficult than it needs to be by expanding duties beyond deleting spam, locking personal attacks and deleting threads that clearly create liability for 2+2.

Once people started locking threads and accounts because things were "unfunny", because of personal preferences ("I don't want to read it so I'll delete it"), or simply because they received a vocal complaint or two, it started causing problems. Add in inconsistent and confusing enforcement policies to a forum that had previously been totally unfettered and it quickly becomes the *only* topic of conversation.

In short, and not surprisingly to you, I favor a return to the minimalist approach that was initially intended.

As for splitting OOT, it's probabaly a good idea. Maybe splitting it into OOT and the Caveman/Cavewoman forum. It's also somewhat problematic, but I think lines could be drawn as to what belongs where (basically anything sexually or relationship oriented).

One thing is for sure, now that things are known to get deleted, you will get repeatedly tested until the lines are both clear and consistantly enforced.

[censored]
08-12-2005, 02:33 AM
Mat,

I would like my own forum. Let me know if we can make that happen.

[censored]

Clarkmeister
08-12-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mat,

[censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it, but they gave Vince Lepore his own forum for a while, so you never know.

James Boston
08-12-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
people just need to be more mature, and less confrontational. I feel like I know about 40 or so posters pretty well. The rest that frequent OOT I have no effing clue, and that really is because most of you come across as immature douches. I think if the content was toned down, and the maturity was elevated a bit, we may see some of the older posters come back

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, but also think you missed my point. Those that "don't have a clue" won't admit it. A good analogy would be a guy who starts a job, and comes in on day one making smart-ass remarks to his co-workers after he hears them doing it with each other. This is the kind of thing you can occasionally get away with if you've worked with them a long time, but nobody wants to hear it from the new guy, yet the new guy is oblivious to that.

theredwave
08-12-2005, 02:35 AM
Bring back Dynasty. That is if he wants to mod OOT still...

ThaSaltCracka
08-12-2005, 02:39 AM
sorry, I understood you, which was why I didn't directly reply to that comment. I agree, I think that would most likely occur, which is why dividing OOT up more than it already has been would be a bad idea.

[censored]
08-12-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mat,

[censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright at first this was kind of a joke but then I thought about it and I realized how completely awesome in everyway this would be. We should make this happen.

SackUp
08-12-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mat,

[censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright at first this was kind of a joke but then I thought about it and I realized how completely awesome in everyway this would be. We should make this happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just become a whore, buy some banners and presto you have your own forum on 2+2.

Dynasty
08-12-2005, 03:12 AM
I'm getting in a little late. But, I think I should point out that the reason I originally was willing to be an OOT mod was to get rid of the spam and poker content (and sports and politics too, now).

I've never been interested in "taming" OOT. But, if it helped Mat, I'd deal with clearly over the top posts. To help define what I consider "over the top", this image doesn't come all that close.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/DynastyPoker/FetchImageJPG.jpg

Clarkmeister
08-12-2005, 03:14 AM
No fair campaigning. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mat Sklansky
08-12-2005, 04:26 AM
From a personal perspective, I agree fully. There are two potential issues:

1) If this is a private snapshot you've taken of a friend and are now posting without her permision, legal or not, we don't want it here.

2) Since part of my job on a daily basis is to read these forums, I'm not all that clear on the whole nsfw issue. The fact that so many people are accessing these forums from work means we need to keep it safe for them. So you guys tell me, is this image safe for work?

KDawgCometh
08-12-2005, 04:31 AM
drink a beer or two, you'll feel great with the percs /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Yugoslavian
08-12-2005, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
is this image safe for work?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that for people who work somewhere where this image wouldn't be safe, they honestly shouldn't be in OOT at all b/c most of the discussion would be inappropriate as well (investment banking type work situations come to mind....although I doubt most firms even let their ppl access 2+2).

I think if it can be shown in a magazine that any doctor would have in their office then it should be cool. This picture, while not exaclty standard, would fly in some of these magazines as a side picture or something IMO.

Yugoslav

Dynasty
08-12-2005, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So you guys tell me, is this image safe for work?

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider it within bounds because all the...er, parts...are covered. It's really not any different than a bikini shot. It's just a bit more suggestive.

B00T
08-12-2005, 05:06 AM
Perhaps you should call up and pitch an offer to the owner of Quarter Life Crisis (http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com/forums/) and merge your sites. Pay him off to help babysit the socially challenged 2+2'ers.

durron597
08-12-2005, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded...imagine the hilarity when he locks a thread and simply puts a thumbs down post as an explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]

dtbog
08-12-2005, 08:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if we're doing ffa i want to start over as zerg.

[/ QUOTE ]

what a clutch reference!

nice post, gorie. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shajen
08-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Bump

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~cm195102/calvin-hobbes-bump.JPG

For the record, I'm down with Dyno-nasty moderating OOT when Mat can't. There *is* plenty of crap in here that could/should be deleted.

jakethebake
08-12-2005, 10:00 AM
I'm not a fan of moderation. And I've disagreed with Dynasty on numerous things. But during Dynasty's brief stint as 00T mod previosuly, I thought he did a very reasonable job. Given the choice, however, I say additional mods are not needed.

IndieMatty
08-12-2005, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]no one is hear to blow off steam at other people though, that really is againt what OOT was for many of us. When we talk about "the good old days" (sorry is that sounds way lame), but that was when we all just goofed around, got to know each other, and basically just treated it like it was kickin it with your boys.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

durron597
08-12-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a fan of moderation. And I've disagreed with Dynasty on numerous things. But during Dynasty's brief stint as 00T mod previosuly, I thought he did a very reasonable job. Given the choice, however, I say additional mods are not needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not like Mat can be here 24/7 though.

jakethebake
08-12-2005, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not like Mat can be here 24/7 though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think 00t needs moderation 24/7. That was my point.

08-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Here's a vote for Other.

Explanation: Who gives a [censored]? If you post something over the line, it's going to get removed, whether it's by Mat, Dynasty, Jeremy90210, future supermod [censored] or by the crack team of 2+2 lawyers who are currently holed up in a basement in downtown Las Vegas consuming their morning breakfast of blood and Twinkies (tm).

Enough with the moderating wars, let's get back to what OOT does best, being immature and stupid.

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 10:37 AM
WTF?!?! When did this thread take a turn from praising ME???

This sucks now.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

astroglide
08-12-2005, 11:29 AM
i could clean this place up

DMBFan23
08-12-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's a vote for Other.

Explanation: Who gives a [censored]? If you post something over the line, it's going to get removed, whether it's by Mat, Dynasty, Jeremy90210, future supermod [censored] or by the crack team of 2+2 lawyers who are currently holed up in a basement in downtown Las Vegas consuming their morning breakfast of blood and Twinkies (tm).

Enough with the moderating wars, let's get back to what OOT does best, being immature and stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh I care because some people will remove [censored] that ISN'T offensive or over the lines.

AngryCola
08-12-2005, 07:07 PM
*bump*

(just this one time)

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
*bump*

(just this one time)

[/ QUOTE ]

Good bump! I am as shocked as you probably are that more have not jumped onto the bandwagon which is me.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BigBaitsim (milo)
08-12-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm getting in a little late. But, I think I should point out that the reason I originally was willing to be an OOT mod was to get rid of the spam and poker content (and sports and politics too, now).

I've never been interested in "taming" OOT. But, if it helped Mat, I'd deal with clearly over the top posts. To help define what I consider "over the top", this image doesn't come all that close.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/DynastyPoker/FetchImageJPG.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I imagine that this pic would not be considered okay where I work. Sadly, it doesn't matter. 2+2 is now blocked where I work. Oddly, Canterbury is blocked, but Mystic Lake Casino, and all the Vegas hotel/casinos are accessable.

Al_Capone_Junior
08-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Hey I'll write MYSELF in for moderator! I'm a poker friggin' geek anyway, and already spend way too much time on 2+2 as it is! But then I'd have to moderate myself, and I'd probably get caught in an endless time loop like some bad episode of star trek....

al