PDA

View Full Version : Fast Large Downswing

z80x86
08-12-2005, 12:03 AM
Okay I hate posting about stuff like this because I feel like people might think I'm just whining. Just trying to see where this falls in the realm of poker swings.

I play 10k hands of 5/10 at Empire and run alittle under 1.00BB/100 hands (4 tabling).

Go to Party to play the bonus. Play 937 hands at -10.02BB/100 for a loss of 93.9BB.

Is this unheard of? It seemed like every damn kid had my number. Hell my VPIP was really tight at 12.8%. AKs was my greatest losing hand at -1.72BB/Hand for 11 hands. I'm afraid the first time I ever lost control at a poker table happened during this run. Thankfully I just got up and left.

AHHH /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Is this unheard of?

Buck_65
08-12-2005, 12:10 AM
500 BB downswings are not unheard of.

Link for you (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2585388&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1)
Granted, this is for short-handed, but the swings are huge in full just the same.

z80x86
08-12-2005, 12:13 AM
I know they happen over time. I just thought that was a pretty damn short time frame! Especially for full.

Buck_65
08-12-2005, 12:20 AM
I remember having a tough time dealing with my first 100 BB downswing. It only took about an hour. They come and go, just don't convince yourself to start playing differently. That will only turn it into closer to a 200 BB downswing.

hemstock
08-12-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I remember having a tough time dealing with my first 100 BB downswing. It only took about an hour. They come and go, just don't convince yourself to start playing differently. That will only turn it into closer to a 200 BB downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about a 4k hand downswing? Just when I start to get something going, horrible beats come back to back to drop me down again. This is an emotional roller coaster. I can't win anything. Watching my winrate dropping, makes me really depressed. I know about thinking long run etc, but it's been 4 freaking thousand hands. It seems like forever when I used to win pots and not getting rivered.

AZnuts
08-12-2005, 12:59 AM
When I have downswings on Party, they are often very quick for some reason such as -200BB in about 2500 hands. But that is followed later by a +300BB upswing in about the same span.

I once was quite concerned with these seemingly big swings, both from a bankroll standpoint and evaluation of my play. But once they are plotted on a chart over 100,000 hands, they don't look so big; especially since the chart steadily increases in $ over time.

Online247
08-12-2005, 02:14 AM
Yeah, I hate it when a bonus ties me down, and forces me to play just for the sake of clearing one. /images/graemlins/wink.gif It's even worse when I end up negative with the bonus.

As for a "fast large downswing" I find party to be the worst/best in terms of variance. Just tonight, I dropped 75 BBs in a span of 1.4 hours, but went on a little run and got back 50 of those BBs. This game is streaky as hell and I've done two things to help ease the pain during a bad session. I stopped looking at my results when I'm at the tables, and I use tiltblocker, which is a program that blocks how much you have at the table. This really helps me concentrate on just playing solid poker.

A 12.8% vpip is very, very tight. You are going to need to open up your game a bit to be successful. It's difficult to make money playing as a rock.

Good luck, bro.

z80x86
08-12-2005, 08:02 AM
That is just for that sample, its normally around 15%. Maybe alittle lower at 5/10. I'll keep that in mind though. Thanks for the support everybody!

SNOWBALL138
08-12-2005, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am virtually breakeven over 11k hands, but for a portion of that period, I had a healthy winrate. I think it is logical for me to focus on my wins, and ignore my losses instead of averaging them together to calculate my results. Do you guys agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

-Snowball

08-12-2005, 07:19 PM
In the last few days, variance has made me its bitch. I actually laughed out loud in the last hand today, after my set of aces lost to a full house, after losing with 2 full houses and a king high flush(to quads) in the previous hour.

I guess the only thing to do is say:

Thank you sir, may I have another!
Thank you sir, may I have another!

z80x86
08-13-2005, 12:58 AM
Wasn't really focusing on the wins. Just never experienced such a quick collapse. I promise you I'll be playing another 10k over the next 12 or so days.

SNOWBALL138
08-13-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't really focusing on the wins. Just never experienced such a quick collapse. I promise you I'll be playing another 10k over the next 12 or so days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sheeeeit playa, thats all you had to say. Holla

-Snowball