PDA

View Full Version : Organ donating? What are the cons?

Unoriginalname
08-11-2005, 08:29 PM
I think I am going to tell my family that I want to be an organ donor. Is there anything I should know before I do this? Is there any reason why I would not want to do this? Basically, if I'm dead, I don't see why I should mind them taking a few of my organs if it will help someone else who still has a shot at living. Maybe I'm missing an important detail though.

mason55
08-11-2005, 08:39 PM
The hospital steals your soul along with your organs.

Luzion
08-11-2005, 08:42 PM
I dont really see any drawbacks, unless you are in a religion or have some family customs that strictly forbids not letting someone bury your "whole" body once you are dead. I know there are some very traditional Chinese people that still feel that way.

Larimani
08-11-2005, 08:42 PM
No. Do it. I have... although I'm too unhealthy for any part of my body to be of any use.

poker-penguin
08-11-2005, 08:43 PM
When Jesus brings you back to life, your life is going to suck without all your organs.

Olof
08-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Since you won't have any control over who will get your organs when you die (that's how it works in Sweden anyway), you might end up saving the life of someone you would rather see dead.

Sykes
08-11-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When Science brings you back to life, your life is going to suck without all your organs.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

First time /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mason55
08-11-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since you won't have any control over who will get your organs when you die (that's how it works in Sweden anyway), you might end up saving the life of someone you would rather see dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like a minority??

Olof
08-11-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Like a minority??

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be that, yes. I believe that I that own my body in the same way I own other material possesions, and if I can decline to let a certain person inherit my house or money for whatever reason I wish, I should have the same right when it comes to my kidneys.

mason55
08-11-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Like a minority??

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be that, yes. I believe that I that own my body in the same way I own other material possesions, and if I can decline to let a certain person inherit my house or money for whatever reason I wish, I should have the same right when it comes to my kidneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you hate black people is what you're saying...

BigBaitsim (milo)
08-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Generally, any in which you donate an organ is going to be a pretty lousy day for you.

drdre2001mm
08-11-2005, 09:29 PM
I have heard people say stupid things such as, "If they see you are an organ donor then the doctors will do less to save you." Sounds like a load of [censored] to me.

Olof
08-11-2005, 09:30 PM
I have said no such thing and I wouldn't personally take ethniticity into consideration. I was arguing for the principle of property rights.

ddubois
08-11-2005, 10:09 PM
I plan to be burried fully intact in a large Tupperware, since I am too cheap to pay for the cryogenic-freezing.

lu_hawk
08-11-2005, 10:10 PM
if the doctors don't like you they will let you die so they can give your organs to someone they think is more deserving.

SoSo
08-11-2005, 10:12 PM
the 12 to 18 month waiting list when your other kidney packs in....

Alobar
08-11-2005, 10:14 PM
your name will be placed on a list of organ doners, and if someone from the illuminati needs a kindey for one of their loved ones, you could end up getting "disapearing"

Mason Hellmuth
08-11-2005, 10:14 PM
When you die, both kidneys stop.

krazyace5
08-12-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have said no such thing and I wouldn't personally take ethniticity into consideration. I was arguing for the principle of property rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brings up the question of why can't people sell their organs. Its theirs.

poker-penguin
08-12-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When Science brings you back to life, your life is going to suck without all your organs.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

First time /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. Your first FYP is wrong /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If Science is advanced enough to bring people back to life, they can plug a new organ in to you, they're good at planning. Jesus is more of an ad hoc miracle kind of guy and might not arrange a pair of kidneys before hand (and will be pretty busy influencing the outcome of sporting events and US foreign policy).

oneeye13
08-12-2005, 01:45 AM
cons: don't want someone else running around with your weiner

Sponger15SB
08-12-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like a minority??

[/ QUOTE ]

ah crap, the only reason I clicked on this thread was to make this joke /images/graemlins/frown.gif

*apologies to any minorities

08-12-2005, 01:56 AM
Just the other day I donated an organ to my church--

The Church of Splatter Day Taints

MtDon
08-12-2005, 02:02 AM
As a recipient of a kidney transplant, I'm not entirely objective. But there are no negatives to being an cadaveric organ donor for the person doing the donating, since they will be dead. The only possible negative is if you have a close relative who strongly objects for religious reasons. I would hope that would not be enough of an objection to stop someone for being a donor.

Many states have registries for people who ant to be organ donors. Be sure to register AND tell your family.

If you do discuss this with your family, it might be a good time to discuss funeral arrangements of everybody. Cremation or embalming, where to be buried or have the service, how much to spend. Flowers or donations to charities, etc, etc.

These topics don't come up very often, but can be very useful to know when a family member dies, hopefully many years after the discusion.

DavidC
08-12-2005, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I am going to tell my family that I want to be an organ donor. Is there anything I should know before I do this? Is there any reason why I would not want to do this? Basically, if I'm dead, I don't see why I should mind them taking a few of my organs if it will help someone else who still has a shot at living. Maybe I'm missing an important detail though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... here's something interesting.

My mother works at a hospital, and she told me that they formerly just tied down bodies of braindead individuals and cut into them, removing whatever organs they're looking for.

However, recently they've started to anethetize the bodies before operating, because they would struggle, and it really freaked out the staff.

No, I'm not joking.

The scary thing is that these were/are brain-dead bodies.

Anyone who can disprove me would be appreciated, because this kinda freaks me out.

FWIW, I'm still an organ donor (potentially, anyways).

Edit: Also, for you canadians out there, realize that your organ donor card isn't legally binding, as your body immediately goes into your family's custody when you die... ie. your parents / next of kin can choose not to donate.

So talk to your family if you decide to do this.

--Dave.

TimM
08-12-2005, 05:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have heard people say stupid things such as, "If they see you are an organ donor then the doctors will do less to save you." Sounds like a load of [censored] to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coma (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077355/plotsummary)

DavidC
08-12-2005, 05:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Christ, it's a Randroid. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Uh... the guy who brought up the minority thing is kinda a moran (sorry mason, but how the hell did you extrapolate minority from what he was saying?).

Olaf, if you choose to be an organ donor, that's a good way to exercise your property rights.

(Although I'm not sure if it can be argued that your body is your property after your death. /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

DavidC
08-12-2005, 05:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like a minority??

[/ QUOTE ]

ah crap, the only reason I clicked on this thread was to make this joke /images/graemlins/frown.gif

*apologies to any minorities

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh sweet, I've been a jackass in my reply to mason, then...

maybe...

Where's this from?

blatz
08-12-2005, 05:58 AM
You can't get buried in an orthodox jew cemetary.

(Maybe...consult your rabbi)

mason55
08-12-2005, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Uh... the guy who brought up the minority thing is kinda a moran (sorry mason, but how the hell did you extrapolate minority from what he was saying?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I did fail statistics so I could have been way off base in my extrapolation....

jakethebake
08-12-2005, 09:38 AM
I'm donating the whole damn body. (http://www.sciencecare.com/) I see no cons.

HopeydaFish
08-12-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A) There are people that you wish death upon?
B) There are *enough* people out there that you wish death upon, that you think there's a chance that one of them will get your organs?
C) And you think that who gets your organs will make a lick of difference to you after you're dead?
D) How would you feel one day when you need a transplant and you discover that nobody is donating organs anymore because everyone is as selfish as you?

usmfan
08-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Maybe you could donate and volunteer for the Visible Human pt.2? Here (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/visible/visible_human.html)

Unoriginalname
08-12-2005, 10:45 AM
I'm not religious so it looks like there's no real reason for me not to do it. By the way, I'm only 23 years old so HOPEFULLY this won't even be an issue for a very long time.

djoyce003
08-12-2005, 10:54 AM
how could there be drawbacks? If you are unfortunate enough to die young, at least you can save the lives of a whole bunch of people...I can't see how everyone isn't an organ donor.

CollinEstes
08-12-2005, 10:57 AM
Dibs on his liver!

I have a feeling cirrhois is just around the corner.

astroglide
08-12-2005, 11:28 AM
i believe it's a popular theory/urban legend that certain doctors will "play god" with you if it's known that you're an organ donor. meaning true measures to save your life in an emergency won't be taken because you are 1 life, and your fresh organs are worth more than 1 life.

cadillac1234
08-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Since I work in the field I can give a couple of comments.

Advantages:

a. It's generally considered to be a noble, altruistic thing (at least in Western Cultures) to do since you are helping others by giving them a life-changing gift.

b. It may assist in helping your family members during the grieving process since they may take comfort in the fact that your death may result in saving the lives of others

c. You're not likely to miss them anyways

d. A single donor can make help up to 250 patients if they also donate tissue

Possible disadvantages:

a. Even though it goes against the basic principle a young, otherwise healthy donor will be treated like a commodity while older donors may not get treated with the respect they deserve. This is basically because most surgeons refuse to listen to empirical evidence showing that there is very little difference in strength tests and failure rates between different age sets of donors. Marketing by various tissue agencies are also to blame for this. This is an industry problem that I encounter on a daily basis and really frickin' sucks since I feel for the families that donated Uncle Ted but because he's 51 years old he's not considered 'prime' because of his age.

b. A thorough medical history with some pretty pointed questions will be asked to the donors family to assure there is no immediate rule-outs due to high-risk behaviors.

c.You will literally be parted out and may be shipped all over the world. If it bugs you that someone in Sri Lanka may get your cornea then this might be an issue although you can have your family request that you only go to US recipents.

Obviously it's a personal choice with a pretty +EV for society as a whole. If you do make the decision to donate organs I highly suggest you also look into donating tissue as well. The potential to help many more patients is greatly increased and it's not going involve that much more in post-mortum recovery.

HopeydaFish
08-12-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how could there be drawbacks? If you are unfortunate enough to die young, at least you can save the lives of a whole bunch of people...I can't see how everyone isn't an organ donor.

[/ QUOTE ]

People don't like to think about dying, let alone being sliced open and having their organs harvested when it happens.

The scare-lore that one of the previous posters described about brain dead individuals "squirming and grimacing" as they're being cut open only confirms peoples' fears.

And for those people who believed his stories of "squirming" brain dead bodies...I went on the web to research this question, and every site that made reference to bodies squirming and grimacing during harvesting were also affiliated with special interests groups and/or religious groups. They make it very clear on the sites that they don't support organ donation.

Sigh...and how effective do you think organ removal would be when the patient is squirming during the procedure? I like how the poster mentioned that the patient would be "tied down" to keep them from squirming. Double sigh.

I also found numerous medical sites that deal with organ donation, and they discuss all the tests that must be performed before a body is deemed a candidate for harvesting. One of the tests is a "pain test", which specifically watches for the patient grimacing or moving in response to pain. If the patient responds to pain, it indicates that there is enough brain function left that they are not clininically brain dead. You need to be clinically brain dead before they will remove your organs for transplant.

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 11:36 AM
There is no way I will be donating my organs.

I am very sexy and as a result, I would imagine the gay necropheliacs (sp?) will be lining up outside my door to SIIMP once I die...

Since I'll be dead, I just can't see the need to give them a crappy piece of ass.

HopeydaFish
08-12-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is no way I will be donating my organs.

I am very sexy and as a result, I would imagine the gay necropheliacs (sp?) will be lining up outside my door to SIIMP once I die...

Since I'll be dead, I just can't see the need to give them a crappy piece of ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, David Cross.

cadillac1234
08-12-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i believe it's a popular theory/urban legend that certain doctors will "play god" with you if it's known that you're an organ donor. meaning true measures to save your life in an emergency won't be taken because you are 1 life, and your fresh organs are worth more than 1 life.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are at the point where harvesting organs even comes up in the treatment plan nothing any doctor would do going is going to make a difference anyways.... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

In 99% of the cases the donation issue comes up after clincal death. The only time this may be an issue is from an EEG flat patient with zero percent viability due to brain trauma.

Olof
08-12-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't normally waste my time walking around wishing death upon others, but there are definitely people whose lives I would reject saving if given the opportunity.

[ QUOTE ]
B) There are *enough* people out there that you wish death upon, that you think there's a chance that one of them will get your organs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say that and I will proabably go with jakethebake's line and donate my body to medical science.
I meant that it's a potential reason why someone might consider rejecting to become an organ donor.

[ QUOTE ]
C) And you think that who gets your organs will make a lick of difference to you after you're dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once I'm dead it won't make any difference to me who gets my money either, but I'd still rather see it benefit someone I care about than someone I hate. In fact, I would rather have my money cremated than solely benefitting someone I hate - the same goes for my kidneys.

[ QUOTE ]
D) How would you feel one day when you need a transplant and you discover that nobody is donating organs anymore because everyone is as selfish as you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, I would think it sucked. But that doesn't automatically give other people any moral obligation to let me inherit their organs. But again, I'm only arguing that I have the right to reject donating organs - not that it's the right thing to do.

jakethebake
08-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Perhaps i could put it in my will that [censored] could do a "does this person suck?" thread on them before they get my kidneys?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't normally waste my time walking around wishing death upon others, but there are definitely people whose lives I would reject saving if given the opportunity.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say that and I will proabably go with jakethebake's line and donate my body to medical science.
I meant that it's a potential reason why someone might consider rejecting to become an organ donor.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once I'm dead it won't make any difference to me who gets my money either, but I'd still rather see it benefit someone I care about than someone I hate. In fact, I would rather have my money cremated than solely benefitting someone I hate - the same goes for my kidneys.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, I would think it sucked. But that doesn't automatically give other people any moral obligation to let me inherit their organs. But again, I'm only arguing that I have the right to reject donating organs - not that it's the right thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unoriginalname
08-12-2005, 03:28 PM
My only real concern is that of my loved ones after my death. I don't really care what happens to my body. I think it would be much better if my organs could be put to good use in someone else, rather than just rot away in a coffin. I just want to make sure that my friends and family get the closure they desire. I don't want my body to be so mangled up after my organs and tissue are removed that they won't have the option of having an open casket funeral. If they can cover up all the surgeries with make-up and clothing for when they bury me, that would be great.

astroglide
08-12-2005, 03:32 PM
it's not a reference to the treatment plan, it's something that's seen on your driver's license when you id yourself or they pull it out of your wallet

HopeydaFish
08-12-2005, 03:33 PM
I agree that you have the right *not* to donate your organs, and I hope this never changes.

However, not donating your organs solely because you're worried that someone you don't like might get them is a little shortsighted. I was reading today that up to 250 people can be helped with the organs harvested from 1 person. Surely the fact that most of the people that are being helped by your donation are *not* people who you'd want to see dead is a good enough reason to donate? Keeping in ming the fact that you'll be dead and will no longer have any use for the organs yourself.

I agree that you should be able to donate organs to specific people if you so desire -- but *only* if the people you specify are family members. I wouldn't want to see a system where rich people can pay for organs and poor people are totally out of luck. I know a lot of posters on here will disagree with me on this point.

cadillac1234
08-12-2005, 05:15 PM
They actually replace the bones and everything else taken with prosthetics and sew the body back up so no one viewing in a funeral-type setting can tell anything was done. Also if, when you die, you get an autopsy, the ME is going to do a lot of cutting, removing and replacing of various parts anyways.

I'm kind of giving you the unfiltered version of what happens but personally I would rather know exactly what is going to happen instead of some white-washed story on behalf the organ donation network

It's definitely something everyone should discuss with family so that your personal wishes are known ahead of time. My parents actually put their wishes it into our family trust/will. It solves a lot of problems later on and family members are less likely to squabble over the ethics of it if they know the person's views prior to their death.