PDA

View Full Version : Fair Price for Brake Work?

NotMitch
08-11-2005, 08:04 PM
I an very car ignorant and want to know if I am being taken. I'm having front and back brakes done, pads and rotors and I was told the drums were leaking also. This is all gibberish to me. The car is a 2000 Chrysler Sebring and has about 97,000 miles on it. Ballpark price to have all of this done?

youtalkfunny
08-11-2005, 08:56 PM
I don't know.

But I know that it's a big enough job that you need to shop around for an estimate.

I'm guessing $500-1000.

touchfaith
08-11-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I an very car ignorant and want to know if I am being taken. I'm having front and back brakes done, pads and rotors and I was told the drums were leaking also. This is all gibberish to me. The car is a 2000 Chrysler Sebring and has about 97,000 miles on it. Ballpark price to have all of this done?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they turning the rotors, or replaceing them. That is were a large chunk of change will go (for replacements).

NotMitch
08-11-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they turning the rotors, or replaceing them. That is were a large chunk of change will go (for replacements).

[/ QUOTE ]

Replacing. And to the person who said to shop around, good idea but not an option work is already being done.

MHarris
08-11-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was told the drums were leaking also

[/ QUOTE ]

Drums don't leak. Perhaps they said calipers, or wheel cylinders if you have drum brakes on the back?

Just for pads and rotors on all 4 wheels, on a newer car, I would say that $700 isn't out of line, give or take 100, depending on the labor rates in your area.

cardcounter0
08-11-2005, 09:46 PM
$800 for replace rotors and pads all around. add some for replacement of calipers.

I think it would have been wise to ask "how much?" at the place doing the work before the work was done, instead of asking here after the work was started.

NotMitch
08-11-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$800 for replace rotors and pads all around. add some for replacement of calipers.

I think it would have been wise to ask "how much?" at the place doing the work before the work was done, instead of asking here after the work was started.

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify, I did ask how much before it was started, that was before I posted the thread.

smokingrobot
08-11-2005, 10:08 PM
i had all 4 pads replaced P&L came to $250.

I had a friend of mine do it, so he charged me 50 axl.

Rotors on the other hand are more expensive than pads. They shoudl still only run about 100/pair.

I dont know if its necessary to cut new rotors with new pads being put on. I'd say you're getting a deal at the end of it between 600 and 800, and getting ripped off at anything higher.

its not at the dealer is it? the dealer had quoted me 1250 for P&L.

NotMitch
08-11-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i had all 4 pads replaced P&L came to $250.

I had a friend of mine do it, so he charged me 50 axl.

Rotors on the other hand are more expensive than pads. They shoudl still only run about 100/pair.

I dont know if its necessary to cut new rotors with new pads being put on. I'd say you're getting a deal at the end of it between 600 and 800, and getting ripped off at anything higher.

its not at the dealer is it? the dealer had quoted me 1250 for P&L.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is at the dealer and my quote is very similar.

handsome
08-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Why don't you take your car to a reliable independent shop? Brakes pads are cheap, maybe like $30 each, and rotors are like $100 each. Shouldn't take more than an hour to replace them. 4(30+100) + $65 service = $585. Well, this would be the estimated cost for my 98 Accord in the Upstate NY region (low cost of living), not sure about your Sebring and where you live.

smokingrobot
08-11-2005, 10:37 PM
as odd as it seems, unless you're under warranty, never ever ever take your car to the dealer for work.

they have to pay the corporation inflated prices and so they charge you inflated prices. its the worst situation to be in.

you can rest assured in the fact that everything should be done correctly and properly though. although im sure someone has a "i took my car to the dealer for repairs and they [censored] 'ed it all up" story.

cardcounter0
08-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Please give me the name of the guy doing complete brake jobs for $65 in labor, they won't be open long.
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RollaJ
08-15-2005, 05:25 PM
I just had brakes (pads) and rotors replaced this morning $600 for the deal (from a friends brother who owns the shop).

I did come to a realization tho, Poker Players and mechanics live by the same motto...... <font color="blue"> Its immoral to let a sucker keep his money </font> /images/graemlins/smile.gif

08-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Well, considering you can walk into AutoZone and buy front brake pads for both wheels for $35 (for quality pads, you can get junk for less), rotors for $20 a piece (again quality), and it only takes 20 minutes to do the job (plus, the shop pays less for the parts), they're not charging $65 for labor. It's ridiculous that you can buy pads for $35 RETAIL, and the shop will list it as a $75 part, and not even use ceramic pads.

Doing brakes on a car is no more complicated than doing brakes on a ten-speed bike.

NotMitch
08-15-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, considering you can walk into AutoZone and buy front brake pads for both wheels for $35 (for quality pads, you can get junk for less), rotors for $20 a piece (again quality), and it only takes 20 minutes to do the job (plus, the shop pays less for the parts), they're not charging $65 for labor. It's ridiculous that you can buy pads for $35 RETAIL, and the shop will list it as a $75 part, and not even use ceramic pads.

Doing brakes on a car is no more complicated than doing brakes on a ten-speed bike.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the invoice that details the cost for everything, I can post it line by line later. So i can see exactly what they were charging. The only thing that really bothers me about the whole thing is they were unable to finish the car the day I dropped it off. The reason given was they didnt have all the parts needed, well you are a dealer with a large service center and I drive a fairly common car, why the hell dont you have these parts on hand?

Lastly there is no way in hell I was doing this myself. I dont have the tools, the mechanical ability or the desire to even think about trying home auto repair.

08-15-2005, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I would be interested in seeing the itemized list. I really wouldn't have a dealer do the work; it'll cost at least twice as much.

Go to a brake shop and have them look at it. Chances are you don't need your rotors replaced (unless you truly abuse your car). At worst you will need them machined.