PDA

View Full Version : Everybodies all-in! (almost)

08-11-2005, 04:58 PM
This situation came up last night in a nine-handed tournament. This was the first hand of the game. Starting stacks were $155, blinds at $1/$2. The table is made up of 4 tight aggressive players, three extremely loose aggressive players, and two loose sometime-passive sometime aggressive players. The blinds go up whenever someone gets knocked out, lending to some very erratic early play from the maniacs. the tournament pays top two spots.

So, first hand. I have J /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the small blind.

A Lag raises to $10 under the gun (he is also quite intoxicated and habitually raises the first hand of any tournament)

2 Lags, a loose passive and a tight aggressive call the raise

I call from small blind, thinking with so many people out there I should at least see a flop with my potential straight.

The Flop comes Q /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif
I now have JJ, an up or down straight draw, and a back-door flush draw
I bet $20 into a $62 pot, thinking someone may have a Q, but knowing that the maniacs would play a Q7 pre-flop if it were suited

The Lag in 1st position goes all-in, and everyone else calls the all-in

I am now faced with a pot laying me 4:1 odds, but even though strict odds dictate a fold (I think) I know that whoever wins the hand will be an enormous chip leader at the table with at least 4:1 in chips over everyone else at the table (5:1 if I call). Also, because of the blind structure, the blinds will go up one level for each person knocked out on the hand. So the end result will be a huge chip leader and blinds that jump immediately to 10/20 (or 20/40 if I call).

Even though I know it is risky, I decide to call because I wouldn't have much time to wait for a decent hand if one of the maniacs got their hands on all those chips so early.

The initial all-in had 4 to the flush, the three loose callers had 88, one had a J little suited and one had a Q little suited, the tight aggressive player had KQ os, so he had flopped a straight.

A 5th club came down on the river, knocking out everyone. And this player coasted to victory by waiting for decent hands and going all-in whenever he entered a pot. With 20/40 blinds, the remaining players at a short-handed table pretty much got blinded away.

I know from a strict by-the-book approach it was a loose call, but was I right to tke all the other factors into consideration and push my chips in?

Hornacek
08-11-2005, 05:00 PM
is this in a home game? i'm confused... how did you know 4 were aggressive if it was the first hand?

and people still play home games? why not just 8-table online? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

schwza
08-11-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Lag in 1st position goes all-in, and everyone else calls the all-in

[/ QUOTE ]

how many people is that? how many pay? it sounds like you can fold and be in or near the money.

08-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Sorry, this was a home game (bar game actually) with a regular group of players. It was the third tournament of the evening. I like the live play better because I can pick up more from the other players.

08-11-2005, 05:09 PM
It pays two places. There are four callers of the all-in when it gets back to me (I was the orginal bettor). There are four people not involved in the hand. Becasue of the blind structure, (detailed in original post) folding will leave me with only about 6 times the big blind.

GrekeHaus
08-11-2005, 05:15 PM
This would be an easy fold for me.

With the all-ins behind you, you know you're not in the lead. There are two clubs on the board, and there's a very good chance one of the donks called with two clubs, cutting your outs down to 6. Finally, you might be drawing dead or drawing to a chop if someone else has a T.

Given this was the first hand of the tournament, and assuming you're a better than average player at the table, you can find much better spots for your money.

Hornacek
08-11-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This would be an easy fold for me.

With the all-ins behind you, you know you're not in the lead. There are two clubs on the board, and there's a very good chance one of the donks called with two clubs, cutting your outs down to 6. Finally, you might be drawing dead or drawing to a chop if someone else has a T.

Given this was the first hand of the tournament, and assuming you're a better than average player at the table, you can find much better spots for your money.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, what he said

pokerlaw
08-11-2005, 05:25 PM
you play w some wackos dude. fold PF, don't bet the flop, and dont call that turn bet. w/ such a loose table, you dont need to be calling raises the first hand out of position w J10o.

I wouldnt bet the flop either - try to see if your draw hits for free. if you are going to bet the flop, push it.

I wouldnt call the raise b/c the flush possibility limits you to 6 outs, so not good times - though I hear what you are saying about the raising blinds and all that. thoughtful analysis, but i think you are better off waiting here.

Uppercut
08-11-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Flop comes Q /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif
I now have JJ, an up or down straight draw, and a back-door flush draw

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you greatly overestimated the strength of your hand after this flop. First of all, you are out of position in a raised pot. Second, you just have 2nd pair. Third, your OESD is only to a single card, which greatly increases the possibility of a split pot when someone else also has a Ten. Finally, your backdoor flush draw is only to the J high. Check this flop and pray for a free card. Better yet, stop calling 5BB raises in the SB with JTo.