PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Horror Movie of All Time - Nomination Thread

swede123
08-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Time for a new poll. Let's hear some suggestions on great horror movies. It can be anything from Zombie movies to slasher flicks, to psychological horror type movies to whatever. I'll start it off...

Nightmare on Elm Street
The Ring
Alien
Psycho
Night of the Living Dead
The Exorcist

Wetdog
08-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Texas Chainsaw just for the comedy factor.

Blarg
08-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Some others:

The Hidden
House of Dark Shadows
The Haunting
Theatre of Blood
Asylum
Trilogy of Terror
The Wolfman (not scary, but great movie)
Frankenstein (not scary, but great movie)
Bride of Frankenstein (not scary, but great movie)
The Invisible Man (fiendishly inventive, today's special effects make it seem less startling or scary)
The Stepfather
Re-Animator

swede123
08-11-2005, 04:41 PM
You gotta specify which rendition. There have been two movies named "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" not counting sequels and so on.

Swede

wayabvpar
08-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Se7en
The Silence of the Lambs

Not classic horror flicks, but they were goddamned scary.

swede123
08-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Some good ones there, Blarg. I'm sure many of the older (not scary) ones won't get much recognition here, but they're still classics.

Swede

TheIrishThug
08-11-2005, 04:44 PM
night of the living dead (original)

MrWookie47
08-11-2005, 04:48 PM
The Shining

Wetdog
08-11-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You gotta specify which rendition. There have been two movies named "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" not counting sequels and so on.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Remakes and sequels usually bite. The original is the only one IMO.

swede123
08-11-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Remakes and sequels usually bite. The original is the only one IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the original is a better movie. But...the remake has some good eye candy at least
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/new_line_cinema/the_texas_chainsaw_massacre/jessica_biel/chainsaw.jpg

touchfaith
08-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Gotta toss Halloween in the mix. Sure, it's lost all shock factor over the years, but when it first came out...Golden.

So... (in no particular order or rank, just ones that come to mind...)

Halloween
The Hitcher
Silence of the Lambs
Ghost Ship

RacersEdge
08-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Psycho is a comedy compared to The Exorcist.

Rogue5
08-11-2005, 05:11 PM
Evil Dead /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

phage
08-11-2005, 05:12 PM
What are you defining as horror...i.e. Friday 13/Nightmare on Elm street (Slasher) vs Exorcist etc.

swede123
08-11-2005, 05:19 PM
As I said in the original post, lets keep it pretty broad here. Slasher, psychological, sci-fi. As long as you might find it in the horror section at the video store, or there are scenes that make you jump etc. it's fair game.

Swede

RacersEdge
08-11-2005, 05:21 PM
I think a true horror movie has to have some supernatural element to it. So while Seven was a scary movie in some parts, it's not a horror movie.

swede123
08-11-2005, 05:23 PM
I disagree. I can't think of a better category for "Psycho" than Horror, yet it doesn't have anything supernatural in it.

Swede

Paluka
08-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Evil Dead 2
Dead Alive

RacersEdge
08-11-2005, 05:26 PM
I guess that explains my earlier post. Psycho is suspense.

swede123
08-11-2005, 05:33 PM
I agree with you that The Exorcist or The Shining are nine thousand times scarier than Psycho, but for a movie made in 1960 it's pretty scary. Sure it's a thriller/suspense movie also, but in my view it's definitely horror as well.

Swede

tdp
08-11-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
One of my all time favorites and a rare case where the sequel is way better.

Wyers
08-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Slasher

Nightmare on Elm Street
Halloween
Black Christmas

Moody

The Changeling
Rosemary's Baby

Zombie

Dawn of the Dead (original of course)
28 Days Later

Fave Hitch

The Birds
Rope

Just Friggin' Bizarre

Freaks

The Gore/Insanity Factor

Dead Alive
Evil Dead I
Bad Taste
Cabin Fever

What the hell is going on?!?

Jacob's Ladder
Brain Dead

Comedy

Shaun of the frickin' Dead, baby!
Evil Dead II

Wetdog
08-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Wasn't Trilogy of Terror made for TV? Can it be rented? That final scene with Karen Black still makes my skin crawl.

Wyers
08-11-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. I can't think of a better category for "Psycho" than Horror, yet it doesn't have anything supernatural in it.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Many of the slasher flicks don't have any supernatural element.

I would also consider certain sci-fi flicks to be horror movies - Alien.

EliteNinja
08-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Event Horizon.

gulebjorn
08-11-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Event Horizon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched that after smoking too much weed, and boy, did I ever regret it.

Dominic
08-11-2005, 06:44 PM
jesus, The Ring completely blew. one of the all-time WORST "successful" movies.

anyway, I nominate: Alien, The Others, Halloween, The original The Haunting

trotski
08-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Night of the Living Dead
The Exorcist
28 Days Later
Evil Dead

CaptSensible
08-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Rosmary's Baby

RacersEdge
08-11-2005, 07:47 PM
How is the original Haunting better? The recent one is the same movie with better special effects.

RacersEdge
08-11-2005, 08:11 PM
American Werewolf in London

Dracula (the one with Wynona Ryder and yes Keanu Reeves)

Sixth Sense

Jack of Arcades
08-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Jaws.

Sykes
08-11-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Event Horizon.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Duke
08-11-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Changeling

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the scariest movie I have ever seen. I hit the ceiling of the theater when the Terminator got back up after the truck exploded, but this one scarred me for life.

~D

Blarg
08-11-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe I forgot to mention The Evil Dead in my first post. That was fantastic, and very influential. The other two were great fun, but not really scary.

Also The Shining and Rosemary's Baby and The Changeling. I knew there were some good ones I skipped.

Oh, here's another: The Wicker Man.

And the two Nightstalker pilots were excellent. Gotta love ole Kolchak.

Duke
08-11-2005, 09:09 PM
I'm surprised that none of the Hellraiser movies have been mentioned. They're not "The Changeling" but they're pretty scary.

~D

Blarg
08-11-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't Trilogy of Terror made for TV? Can it be rented? That final scene with Karen Black still makes my skin crawl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, Trilogy was a t.v. movie. I just went to check to see if Netflix had it, and you can't rent it, only hit the "save" button. So I guess they're getting it in at some point in the future.

RacersEdge
08-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Apparently they are remaking it. Due in 2006.

Wyers
08-11-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Remaking The Changeling? That can't be good. The film is subtle and deliberately paced - they will destroy this aspect of the film.

Of course I'm sure it will now have the one thing it did lack - a thrashing rap-metal soundtrack.

CCass
08-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Prince of Darkness

Pete Venkman
08-11-2005, 11:26 PM
http://www.truehollywood.com/Features/Topten/Horror/Images/exorcist.index.jpg

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/pictures/movies/e/exorcist_001.jpg

http://www.scaryhorrormovies.com/exorcist.jpg

http://dvdownunder.com.au/images/screen_shots/2001/exorcist2000_1.jpg

banditbdl
08-11-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
jesus, The Ring completely blew. one of the all-time WORST "successful" movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was getting worried, all these replies and nobody had managed to rip The Ring pick yet. That movie was just rotten. Not to mention the slew of imitators its success spawned which just continue to reach new lows in suckitude.

Blarg
08-11-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Dracula (the one with Wynona Ryder and yes Keanu Reeves)

Sixth Sense

[/ QUOTE ]

Loved American Werewolf, but except for the feeling of creepiness in the lonely subway, it wasn't very scary. Still, a very funny and fun movie.

Blarg
08-11-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Prince of Darkness

[/ QUOTE ]

I found this incredibly dull and almost entirely unscary. I was shocked John Carpenter could be so bad. This movie looks like every last bit of its ten dollar budget went on the screen.

Which reminds me -- I liked Carpenter's "The Thing" a lot.

Blarg
08-11-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Remaking The Changeling? That can't be good. The film is subtle and deliberately paced - they will destroy this aspect of the film.

Of course I'm sure it will now have the one thing it did lack - a thrashing rap-metal soundtrack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, very true. Overblown special effects and bad music to the rescue!

Now if they can only get Paris Hilton in there somewhere.

Wyers
08-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Now if they can only get Paris Hilton in there somewhere.

Damn straight.

And bring in some of those WB kids to fix this "classic".

RacersEdge
08-11-2005, 11:47 PM
I think almost all "turning into a werewilf" scenes are pretty scary. AWIL has one of the better ones. And the foggy moors are pretty eerie. But it is also a black comedy.

Ringo_Mojo
08-12-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How is the original Haunting better? The recent one is the same movie with better special effects.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the original Haunting didn't need special effects to make it creepy.

08-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Stephen King's IT.

I HATE CLOWNS.

Phoenix1010
08-12-2005, 12:23 AM
Only skimmed the responses.

The Shining should get the 3 seed IMO, behind the Excorsist and Psycho.

I'm glad that Event Horizon was mentioned. That movie gave me nightmares for days. I still haven't seen it for the second time, though it's been many years.

jesusarenque
08-12-2005, 12:25 AM
The Ring sucks. A lot.

Blarg
08-12-2005, 12:42 AM
Yeah, it does. You know, it did have some genuinely scary moments, though.

It was very aggressively stupid, though. Lots of things didn't add up.

ChipWrecked
08-12-2005, 12:56 AM
What is all this love for 'Night of the Living Dead'? One of the most tedious pieces of crap ever. Being locked in that house with those assholes... I root for the zombies.

*ahem*

Halloween
Bride of Frankenstein
Alien
The Birds

Edit:
OMG. How could I forget. 'Videodrome' with Debbie Harry and James Woods.

Mat Sklansky
08-12-2005, 01:08 AM
I cannot believe that nobody has mentioned "Bloodsucking Freaks" (I know netflix has it)

This is also the best movie ever made to vicariously take out your anger on the girl who broke up with you.

offTopic
08-12-2005, 01:21 AM
The Exorcist, and it's not close.

We lived in the country when I grew up, so when the rest of the fambly went to see it, rather than leave me home or get a sitter (not an option, really) they just took me along...after all, it's just a movie, right?

I was either 5 or 6, so I didn't really understand what was happening, but holy [censored], the visuals!

Dad took his crying kid to see American Graffiti in an adjoining theater.

08-12-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I cannot believe that nobody has mentioned "Bloodsucking Freaks" (I know netflix has it)

This is also the best movie ever made to vicariously take out your anger on the girl who broke up with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Mat, tell us about your "girl" problem. We can help. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Blarg
08-12-2005, 01:27 AM
Hahaha, taking a 5 or 6 year old to see The Exorcist has gotta be one of the classic bad ideas of all time.

Good thing they didn't slip you some acid first. Then again, being 5 or 6 is a little like being on acid already.

Mat Sklansky
08-12-2005, 01:29 AM
It's gone now, but when I discovered this movie in highschool I found it very soothing. Anjanette was the [censored] name.

Seriously, if the people frequenting this forum have not seen this movie, it is a must see. It has got to be the sickest, funniest movie ever made, despite the incredibly bad special effects.

TripleH68
08-12-2005, 01:33 AM
THE SHINING.

Jack Nicholson was so damn good in this movie.

<font color="red">redrum</font>

TripleH68
08-12-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Exorcist, and it's not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disturbing. So disturbing.

Wyers
08-12-2005, 02:07 AM
'Videodrome'

Absolutely! I totally forgot about this one but I've seen it 3 or four times over the years.

Cronenberg was making some cool flicks back then...

Scanners
Rabid
The Dead Zone (one of the best King adaptations)
The Fly

His upcoming one, History of Violence looks to be pretty cool as well.

offTopic
08-12-2005, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
'Videodrome'

Absolutely! I totally forgot about this one but I've seen it 3 or four times over the years.

Cronenberg was making some cool flicks back then...

[/ QUOTE ]

The really creepy part is:

http://ffmedia.ign.com/general/multimedia/cronenberg.jpg

Cronenberg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/Clarkmeister/aca10721.jpg

Clarkmeister

newfant
08-12-2005, 02:18 AM
Army of Darkness, baby!

swede123
08-12-2005, 08:54 AM
Bump.

So, does anyone have a strong argument for including any of the countless Friday 13th, Halloween, and Elm Street Sequels, or sequels to any of the horror franchises? I'm not that knowledgable when it comes to these, but I'm sure there must be a sequel out there somewhere that surpasses the original, or is at least worth considering.

Swede

Swede

diebitter
08-12-2005, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bump.

So, does anyone have a strong argument for including any of the countless Friday 13th, Halloween, and Elm Street Sequels, or sequels to any of the horror franchises? I'm not that knowledgable when it comes to these, but I'm sure there must be a sequel out there somewhere that surpasses the original, or is at least worth considering.

Swede

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
Evil Dead 2 + Jason X gets my vote. But none of the other franchise/sequelled horror films had a better sequel excepting these, I'm pretty sure.

durron597
08-12-2005, 09:36 AM
Scary Movie

<font color="white"> j/k </font>

Ser William
08-12-2005, 10:02 AM
The Omen

crownjules
08-12-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Evil Dead 2 + Jason X gets my vote. But none of the other franchise/sequelled horror films had a better sequel excepting these, I'm pretty sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jason X might should have been classified comedy. Me and my friends went and saw this blazed so we could watch Jason slaughter people to the tune of that "Bodies" song by uh...forget that band now. Disappointing that the commercials featured it and it never happened in the actual movie. While those franchises are popular, I don't think any really come close to nominations for "best horror" flick.

What about the Amityville Horror? The Cell had quite a few disturbing scenes and a few jumpers.

Another one the freaked me out, as a kid at least, was...I think Phantasm 2? The one with the metal spheres that shred people up and the old dude. I forget the movie title now and I'm sure it was just freaky since I was a kid at the time I saw it. I remember a scene with the kid getting wrapped up entirely in the wires from his braces...

If someone mentioned Army of Darkness, I will also throw out Big Trouble in Little China. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

CollinEstes
08-12-2005, 10:23 AM
I cant' believe that I haven't seen Poltergiest yet.

Unless I missed it.

And I don't know how anyone could like The Others that movie was so slow.

CollinEstes
08-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Also I would add The Omen if it hasn't been mentioned already.

benza13
08-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Still haven't seen Idle Hands on here or Phantoms (Affleck was the bomb!!) come on guys /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously though, I don't know about others, but Mothman Prophecies freaked me out pretty bad.

SomethingClever
08-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Anyone ever seen Suspiria?

Creepiest soundtrack ever.

cadillac1234
08-12-2005, 12:03 PM
It begins and ends with Phantasm

swede123
08-12-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The Fly

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one, the original or the one with Jeff Goldblum?

Swede

swede123
08-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Ok, I jotted down the movies so far and had a buddy who's a huge horror movie fan add all the classics no one had mentioned yet. How does this list look? Any glaring omissions? I removed Shaun of the Dead and Scary Movie since both are primarily comedies. I also removed Anjanette since IMDB doesn't have any record of a horror movie named that.

28 Days Later
Alien
Army of Darkness
Asylum
Bad Seed
Bad Taste
Black Christmas
Blair Witch Project
Bloodsucking Freaks
Brain Dead
Bramstoker's Dracula
Bride of Frankenstein
Cabin Fever
Carrie
Children of the Corn
Child's Play
Christine
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Dawn of the Dead (original)
Dead Alive
Event Horizon
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Frankenstein
Freaks
Friday the 13th
Ghost Ship
Halloween
Hellraiser
History of Violence
House of Dark Shadows
I Spit on Your Grave
Idle Hands
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
It
Jacob's Ladder
Jason X
Jaws
Misery
Night of the Living Dead
Nightmare on Elm Street
Nosferatu
Pet Semetary
Phantasm
Phantasm 2
Phantoms
Poltergeist
Prince of Darkness
Psycho
Rabid
Re-Animator
Rope
Rosemary's Baby
Salem's Lot
Scanners
Scream
Seven
Silence of the Lambs
Silent Night, Deadly Night
Silver Bullet
Sixth Sense
Suspiria
Terror Train
The Amityville Horror
The Birds
The Blob
The Cell
The Changeling
The Dead Zone
The Exorcist
The Fly (w/ Jeff Goldblum)
The Grudge
The Haunting
The Hidden
The Hitcher
The Howling
The Invisible Man
The Mothman Prophecies
The Omen
The Others
The Ring
The Shining
The Stepfather
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Thing (w/ Kurt Russell)
The Wicker Man
The Wolfman
Theatre of Blood
Trilogy of Terror
Videodrome
What Lies Beneath
When a Stranger Calls

We need to narrow this list down to 64.

Swede

trotski
08-12-2005, 02:31 PM
Nice work Swede, that is a great list. I can't believe I forgot (and no one mentioned) Re-Animator...great flick.

Blarg
08-12-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bump.

Swede

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Major disagreement there. Evil Dead 2 was a much sillier, more flabby, and much less scary redo of the first Evil Dead.

Evil Dead was brilliant in taking such a tiny restricted setting and almost no money at all and creating a great atmosphere and really genuine scariness and real emotion out of it. Horrible paranoia, unfathomably vast and powerful ancient evil, humor, craven cowardice and other completely human and natural traits in the face of horror and despair -- this movie had it all, quick and brilliant.

Evil Dead 2 was funnier, I'll give it that.

The Jason stuff I find it hard to even consider horror at all.
I own all three movies in the series

Blarg
08-12-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone ever seen Suspiria?

Creepiest soundtrack ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hated it. Good soundtrack though.

Blarg
08-12-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice work Swede, that is a great list. I can't believe I forgot (and no one mentioned) Re-Animator...great flick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mentioned it. There were also two or three sequels. I've got one right now, in from Netflix-- Bride of Re-Animator.

From Beyond was also done by the same guys, with the same lead star. It was the first sequel.

And to Swede -- Invasion of the Body Snatchers had two remakes.

And you left out some of the zombie ones by George Romero -- he did three more.

I'd also recommend Diary of a Madman, my favorite Vincent Price movie ever, and VERY VERY scary I think.

As well as Count Yorga, Vampire, and its sequel, Return of Count Yorga.

And believe it or not, I actually found Blackula scary as a kid. It really does have a scary scene or two.

Benal
08-12-2005, 07:32 PM
I remember a movie called Witchcraft that freaked me out as a kid. Probably lame as hell today though..

Wyers
08-12-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The Fly

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one, the original or the one with Jeff Goldblum?

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I was discussing the original - the jist of my post was David Cronenberg movies.

Blarg
08-13-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I remember a movie called Witchcraft that freaked me out as a kid. Probably lame as hell today though..

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't see that one, that I can recall. Being freaked out by horror movies was kind of my specialty when I was a kid. That was the fun of it! heheh

ChipWrecked
08-13-2005, 03:49 AM
Friday the 13th part II was probably the worst movie ever made.

ChipWrecked
08-13-2005, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
'Videodrome'

[/ QUOTE ]

Long Live the New Flesh!

oreogod
08-13-2005, 04:40 AM
You forgot The Thing.