PDA

View Full Version : I think it's time to move on (job stuff)

2planka
08-11-2005, 03:48 PM
I've been with my current company for 4 years. I currently manage staff at three facilities. I have in-depth knowledge of the products and manufacturing operations at all three plants. The boss who hired me retired last month. A new guy was brought in to replace him, and he's just been promoted to VP, leaving the Director's position open.

At a staff meeting, the new boss said that he's "going to recruit from outside the organization" to fill the Director's slot.

So I'm essentially stuck in this current position with no chance for advancement. Time to make a move, right?

FWIW, the company is doing very well. Stock was $11 when I started here four years ago. Now it's at $46. Good place to work, but my career path is somewhat stymied.

So I should blow the dust of the ole resume and start listening to the recruiters, right? I mean, this can't be a good situation for me, can it?

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-11-2005, 03:51 PM
I'd at least take a shot at a conversation where you tell this guy you think you're qualified for the job and deserve a shot at it before some outside guy. Are you actually qualified for it, though? Be honest. Is 4 years enough to get into that position and do you have the right skillset?

Shajen
08-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Man, that sucks.

Any clue on why they are not promoting internally? Specifically why they aren't promoting you?

It may be something as simple as they know you know your job really well and can't afford to have you move up or something. Probably not, but you never know. If this is the case, I'd look to train someone to know my job inside and out so they have no excuse.

Indiana
08-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Ditch this 9-5 crap and focus on your poker game. Life is short, you gotta do what u want.

Indy

durron597
08-11-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd at least take a shot at a conversation where you tell this guy you think you're qualified for the job and deserve a shot at it before some outside guy. Are you actually qualified for it, though? Be honest. Is 4 years enough to get into that position and do you have the right skillset?

[/ QUOTE ]

2planka
08-11-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is 4 years enough to get into that position and do you have the right skillset?

[/ QUOTE ]

4 years with this company. 11 years in this field. I also have a masters degree.

2planka
08-11-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any clue on why they are not promoting internally? Specifically why they aren't promoting you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect that he wants to bring in someone he knows but that doesn't know what we do here - a fresh set of eyes....

Shajen
08-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Hmmm...this is a tough one.

Go with your gut dude, but I'd certainly ask why they aren't considering you for the position.

turnipmonster
08-11-2005, 04:51 PM
I think you should always keep your resume updated and be looking around for new opportunities that could be better than your current situation. definitely talk to them about why you're not being considered, but if I were you I would definitely look around.

if your industry is one where they're going to have a problem replacing you, then you have a lot of leverage in this and other situations. I would probably say something like:

"I'm just really interested in being a situation where I can advance my career, and I am wondering if this current situation is really going to help me meet my personal goals."

hoopsie44
08-11-2005, 04:52 PM
You're actually looking for career advice from this board ?

razor
08-11-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're actually looking for career advice from this board ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're actually asking this question?

Wetdog
08-11-2005, 05:07 PM
I think he was probably fishing for a reaction from someone who has some stones. Strap them on and bring the resume with you to his office. Nobody wants a balless wimp under them running 3 plants, unless it's their balless wimp.