PDA

View Full Version : play loose in the BB?

vkotlyar
03-24-2003, 03:48 PM
Here is a problem that i have. How loose are you supposed to play in the big blind? Example #1: A raise from a LP solid player, folded around to you in the big blind. You have pocket sixes. Play or muck? How bout if the flop comes small, but you miss it?
Example #2. You have K10o in the big blind. LP raise, and you would make it 5 way action. Call or fold? What if a king comes?
Example #3. You have 23s in the BB. An EP raise, and you would make it 4-way action. Call or fold?
How bout from the small blind? Should you play as tight as if u were UTG?
Thank you all for your comments

elysium
03-24-2003, 09:13 PM
in example 1, since this is a solid opponent, you can actually rate his hand strength downward because he knows to loosen his raising standards from late position. with pocket sixes you are clearly in the lead here.

what you might try is reraising the pre-flop, and raise and reraise the flop by betting out, no matter what the flop brings. ironically, if all low cards hit, you may want to rope it in the later rounds, especially if your opponent shows a lot of flop strength. you like high cards on the flop here, not low. if high cards flop, go for the win on the turn. a bet out should do it.

example 2; you're folding.

example 3; you're folding

no. from the SB, you do not play as tight as you would from UTG.

samdash
03-24-2003, 09:33 PM
1. Call and checkraise most flops.
2. Seems good enough to call
3. Fold

brad
03-24-2003, 09:33 PM
#3 i actually think with 7-1 odds or whatever you can call if you complete the action and most importantly youre opponents all take their hands too far and pay off. but even in this best case its very close to zero EV. but at least you get to play a hand.

brad
03-24-2003, 09:34 PM
#2 you should never call

anatta
03-24-2003, 11:12 PM
I would play hands 1 and 2, but fold 3. I don't think you are giving up much by folding #2, if a king comes on the flop, I would likely check and either raise or fold depending on the action.

In general, I play all offsuit paint in the BB, unless the raiser is really tight, then I fold all of the KJ, AT., QT, etc. type hands. I play all pocket pairs and almost always play suited aces. I play small suited connectors in multiway pots perhaps down to 54s.

Play in the SB depends a lot on the blind structure. For 1/2 a bet, I will play quite a few hands like Q9o, 95s, I even sometimes call with AXo.

astroglide
03-24-2003, 11:33 PM
hand 1: reraise and bet any flop

hand 2: call. bet out if a king drops and fold if there's heat (e.g. a raise and a cold caller, 2 calls and then the initial preflop raiser raises, etc)

hand 3: call. large overlay for getting clobbered, easy to fold if you don't.