PDA

View Full Version : HI-STAKES CALCUTTA = RE-VAMPED

skipperbob
08-11-2005, 02:32 PM
It is clear to me that the "Hi-Stakes" Calcutta was not a good idea and that keeping the stakes lower would have worked better....Therefore, I have reset all the bids to $50....I will not engage in an "E-penis" contest with Raptor and will, thereby, encourage other 2+2er's (regardless of whether they intend to attend the *STTFHUC*) to participate....You will still need a sign-on Password from GrekeHaus....This Calcutta will remain OPEN until the "cards-are-in-the-air" and may grow as the results of last-minute madness...But the eventual winning bids will belong to those participants who have paid me, and/or have demonstrated their good-faith willingness to participate.

If you choose to "bid/buy" the SkipperBob entry, please be aware that you may be buying Gigabet who has declared that he will be there to take my seat...However, in the event of a "no-show" (Gig or any other participant), it is likely that the seat will be filled by RojoSox, SlackerMcFly, Creeper, SFB, or some other equally-inept substitution. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

raptor517
08-11-2005, 02:34 PM
well skip.. we DID control 11 of 16 high bids.. i guess this will make it more interesting and entertaining for everyone involved. now i dont have to lose an extra 4k either.. i guess its a good thing. holla

skipperbob
08-11-2005, 03:42 PM
bump

iMsoLucky0
08-11-2005, 03:46 PM
I don't understand. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

raptor517
08-11-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

all those 500+ bids apparently cut down on everyone else wanting to get in on the action. basically its starting over. if it grows it grows. if not we still have some smaller stakes side bets. personally i think it should be frozen until like 10 days until the match so it stays relatively in control. holla

citanul
08-11-2005, 04:09 PM
SO WHAT'S THE DIFFFERENCE BETWEEN TEH HIGH AND LOW STAKES CALCUTTAS NOW?

skipperbob
08-11-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SO WHAT'S THE DIFFFERENCE BETWEEN TEH HIGH AND LOW STAKES CALCUTTAS NOW?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Low-stakes Calcutta is being run by a responsible member of the 2+2 Community (GrekeHaus)

The High-Stakes Calcutta is being run by a Moron

citanul
08-11-2005, 04:14 PM
MAKES PERFECT SENSE NOW, THANKS. MORAN.

SuitedSixes
08-11-2005, 04:23 PM
http://usera.imagecave.com/BSwing23/keyboard4.jpg

citanul
08-11-2005, 04:25 PM
NO.

I AM ANGRY.

CITANUL

GrekeHaus
08-11-2005, 04:44 PM
I was going to try and talk skipper out of this, but by the time I saw it, all the previous bets had been deleted and I have no way to recover them. Maybe I need to take away skipper's admin privledges. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Also, I was thinking of making a section of the site devoted to side bets. These would likely include first-round matchups, O/U on the number of times Yugo says "Ship it!", Whether or not Gigabet will actually show up, etc.

However, since I don't have the stake to cover taking all these bets, the bets would likely sit there "unmatched" until someone else came along to bet the other side.

Would people be interested if I set up a service like this?

--GH

durron597
08-11-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NO.

I AM A LUNATIC.

CITANUL

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

<font color="white">Is it a good idea to fix a moderator's posts?</font>

citanul
08-11-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NO.

I AM A LUNATIC.

CITANUL

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

<font color="white">Is it a good idea to fix a moderator's posts?</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

DEPENDS ON HOW ANGRY THE MODERATOR IS, DOESN'T IT?

CITANUL

Gigabet
08-11-2005, 08:14 PM
whats the address?

skipperbob
08-11-2005, 08:44 PM
For those who are interested, Gigabet has taken an interest in both of the Calcuttas....Needless to say, it has gotten alot more interesting in the last few minutes /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GrekeHaus
08-11-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I was thinking of making a section of the site devoted to side bets. These would likely include first-round matchups, O/U on the number of times Yugo says "Ship it!", Whether or not Gigabet will actually show up, etc.

However, since I don't have the stake to cover taking all these bets, the bets would likely sit there "unmatched" until someone else came along to bet the other side.

Would people be interested if I set up a service like this?

--GH

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I see Gigabet has found the site, and has already started pwning it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also, nobody gave me feedback on the above idea. Should I try to build a system for side bets, or would I just be wasting my time?

--GH

skipperbob
08-11-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
would I just be wasting my time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like this isn't?????????????????????

Gigabet
08-11-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, nobody gave me feedback on the above idea. Should I try to build a system for side bets, or would I just be wasting my time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a sucker for Proposition Bets.

GrekeHaus
08-11-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So Gigabet wants in...anybody else?

My current idea goes something like this:

I'll create a list of bets that can be made. If you want to propose a bet that's not currently listed, you can ask me to create it and I probably will. For each bet listed, you will be able to choose a side, say how much you want to bet, and request the odds you want to lay or recieve. Then, when others come looking to bet on this, they will see the bet ammount and odds that you posted and can accept that if they wish, or propose a bet at different odds (or propose a bet on the same side with the same or different odds). You will be able to cancel a bet that you proposed at any time before it is accepted, but once someone accepts it, it will become final.

--GH

skipperbob
08-11-2005, 09:50 PM
It is important to understand that a "winning" Bidder must be present AND pay in advance for their winning Bid(s). Otherwise the bid will revert to the next lower Bidder who is willing/able to pay /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Apathy
08-12-2005, 04:11 PM
I don't get at all why this was restarted, were people not serious about their bids?

skipperbob
08-12-2005, 04:54 PM
I restarted it because I felt that it had quickly become a playground populated by only Raptor &amp; I....I felt that a restart would result in more interest and a greater population of participants....Seems I was correct /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Apathy
08-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Ok, I'm sure it won't matter in the end anyways.

Also just so I'm clear there is no difference whatsoever between the "High" and "Low" stakes calcuttas other then who is taking the money and the opening bids, correct?

citanul
08-12-2005, 05:06 PM
er, i think the high stakes might be winner take all and the low stakes is 70/30

but i'm not sure.

skipperbob
08-12-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I'm sure it won't matter in the end anyways.

Also just so I'm clear there is no difference whatsoever between the "High" and "Low" stakes calcuttas other then who is taking the money and the opening bids, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there is one dramatic difference...I intend to keep the HS-LAC open until the last possible minute on Sat. 9/3.

That means (realistically) that only *STTFHUC* attendees will be bidding..(Unless a non-attendee has specified a spokesperson &amp; funded it)...I expect that at Fri.night dinner there will be a lot of smack-talk &amp; bidding...I also expect that as we get closer to "cards-in-the-air" there will be more bidding.

Also, importantly, any winning bid will only stand if the bidder has paid for it in cash or by xfer....So, as an example, suppose Gig doesn't show &amp; hasn't posted $$$ to cover his bids; then all his bids would be erased and revert to the next highest bidder willing to post the $$$.

In the case of Greke's LS-LAC, he's gonna close the bidding on 8/22 with a payment due date of 8/26...so he will have all the dollars in hand prior to the event.

One other small difference between all three (3) calcuttas; the Blind-Draw Calcutta is paying $750 to the "owner" of the *STTFHUC* winner....The low-stakes Calcutta is paying for 1st &amp; 2nd...The high-stakes Calcutta is paying 50%/30%/20%

citanul
08-12-2005, 05:19 PM
er, how can you keep it open til the last possible second AND necessitate having the money in when bidding is closed without running into problems?

i could just be totally misunderstanding. that happens a lot lately.

citanul

skipperbob
08-12-2005, 05:33 PM
That's why I saying that it is "likely" that only attendees (people in attendance) will end up owning the winning bids.

Suppose on Friday night you hold the highest bid on Apathy at, say, $200, and you have xferred the $200 to me in order to assure me that your bid is valid...Well, on Saturday you're not going to have a chance to overbid somebody who's there that bids $250 on Apathy and is willing to pay me.

As an extension to this...On the other hand, let's say you believe that Gigabet, Daliman and Raptor are going to get into a serious "E-penis" thing and start bidding themselves up at the last minute /images/graemlins/blush.gif...Well, you might decide that if you could hold the winning bid on the lowest priced player (Yugo for sure), that would be a good gamble....So you get hold of a participant and get him to bid (and pay) on your behalf no matter what /images/graemlins/smile.gif....Would you put up $200 to win $12,000 that Yugo can win the damn thing (5 HU matches)

Apathy
08-12-2005, 05:43 PM
how is third place being determined?

raptor517
08-12-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a fight to the death. holla

skipperbob
08-12-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a "double-elimination" tournament....The loser of the "Loser's Bracket" finals is the 3rd place finisher overall....the winner of the "Loser's Bracket" finals returns to play the winner of the "Winner's Bracket"...If the winner of "Winner's Bracket" defeats winner of "Loser's Bracket", then he is overall winner and loser is 2nd...On the other hand, if winner of "Loser's Bracket" defeats winner of "Winner's Bracket" then there will be one more match to determine overall winner...Got it?

skipperbob
08-12-2005, 06:06 PM
There are 12 people that don't have to worry about all this; Yugo, Beef, Raptor, Gig, Dali, to name just 6

skipperbob
08-12-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Apathy $100 by Apathy
Daliman $100 by GigaBet
Ilya $50 by SkipperBob
iMsolucky0 $110 by iMsoLucky0
Irieguy $100 by GigaBet
John Hurst $60 by SlackerMcFly
JohnnyBeef $50 by SkipperBob
Lacky $100 by lacky
McPherzen $60 by cleinen
Mosdef $50 by SkipperBob
Raptor $50 by SkipperBob
Skipper Bob/Gigabet $1,000 by GigaBet
TheUsher $100 by iMsoLucky0
TheYugoslavian $60 by BDarch
Unarmed $100 by Apathy
Wuwei $50 by SkipperBob

[/ QUOTE ]

Current Status /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Daliman
08-13-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Prop bet #1
2-1 Gig doesn't show. Max bet $10. /images/graemlins/cool.gif