PDA

View Full Version : Harrington

acer
08-11-2005, 02:00 PM
I want to buy a good book on no-limit, heard great stuff about Harrington's first book, but doesn't his book focus on tournament play? I need a book on ring games that are no-limit. Obviously, cash games and tournament games are played very differently. Are there any good books out there that teach good ring game strategy for no-limit, or would you still recommend Harrington's?

Doc7
08-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Harrington's book is awesome for any kind of poker play..he teaches you to THINK like a poker player.

that said, i'm sure there are great NL books out there, there's a book forum in the left margin of this web page which will have some lists in it.

hansdebelge
08-11-2005, 04:04 PM
harringtons is great, like he said, for any parameters. it helps you with playing styles, defense against aggressive, conservative, super-aggresive. it also has preflop, postflop, turn and river play, with problems at the end of each chapter (these are scenarios that he lays out, tells you about the table, previous action, and asks what you should do. hell give you his recommendations and reasoning, and then tell you what the player in the hand actually did)

in my opinion, its better than sklanskys theory of poker or SSHE b/c there is less math and calculations than sklansky has. you dont have to do complex algorithms in your head to get the right play. its a great book to start with or sharpen your skills with.

ZenMusician
08-11-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in my opinion, its better than sklanskys theory of poker

[/ QUOTE ]

Blasphemy and you are comparing apples and oranges

[ QUOTE ]
or SSHE

[/ QUOTE ]

You are comparing Apples and PCs /images/graemlins/wink.gif (LIMIT book...)

Check out Sklansky's NL book and Harringtons; you can't build a house
without a measuring tape AND a hammer...

Good Luck

-ZEN

Alex/Mugaaz
08-11-2005, 06:03 PM
There are no really good NL cash game books. The only decent one is Ciaffones and thats for a wide, wide variety of games.

illegit
08-11-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to buy a good book on no-limit, heard great stuff about Harrington's first book, but doesn't his book focus on tournament play? I need a book on ring games that are no-limit. Obviously, cash games and tournament games are played very differently. Are there any good books out there that teach good ring game strategy for no-limit, or would you still recommend Harrington's?

[/ QUOTE ]
Much of volume 1 is just how to play poker i.e. you basically play 'normal' poker in a tournament when all the stacks are big relative to the blinds. Vol. 2 however is much more about tournament strategy and whatnot than about anything that would apply to most ring NL games.

mike4bmp
08-12-2005, 03:09 AM
I'd read Sklansky's Theory of Poker and Hold Em for Advanced players. Then I'd read Harrington's book...volume I only. Finally, I would take a look at Ciaffone and Reuben's Book on Pot Limit and No Limit Poker...
My two cents....

Mike....out

Hass
08-13-2005, 04:59 PM
Read the no limit section of super system by Doyle Brunson.

08-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Definitely Harrington on holdem and Super System Nl chapter.

defence18
08-14-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check out Sklansky's NL book

[/ QUOTE ]

Sklansky has a NL book? What's the name of it?