PDA

View Full Version : Most sngs played in a month???

Mr_J
08-11-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm still doing my challenge, just wondering what the most sngs played in a month is? And how many tables were you playing? I'm not trying to break any records (I knocked it from 100 a day to 80 so I could have breaks, won't break any records with that), just curious.

raptor517
08-11-2005, 01:33 PM
i duno i was 8-10 tabling at the time.. i knocked out like 2300 something in the month. i hated life when i was done though, and took a month off to play mtts. holla

nate_king1
08-11-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i duno i was 8-10 tabling at the time.. i knocked out like 2300 something in the month. i hated life when i was done though, and took a month off to play mtts. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus......

Mr_J
08-11-2005, 02:23 PM
If the $22s keep going poorly for a few more days I'll probally cut down my hours. The idea was to play 2k+ sngs at the $55s and maybe $109s, so I don't wanna burn myself out at the $22s.

The other problem is when I do move up, I won't be playing outside peak hours, which is around 5pm-1am. With an hr break that's a max of 7hrs work, or around 60 sngs 6tabling.

NegativeEV
08-11-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i knocked out like 2300 something in the month. i hated life when i was done though, and took a month off to play mtts. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been a lot of posts like this lately, so I'll give another side. I work 40+ hrs/week in a corporate career type job. The most SnGs I've played in a month was just over 1200 a couple of months ago while maintaining my normal office hrs. I couldn't wait to play more the next month. Maybe I'm not recalling accurately, but I really don't feel like I was burned out at any point, and I had several 100+ SnG days during my weekends in that month. I've had some time off from the games with my first born son arriving, so I may just be very happy to be getting back to the games, but I really don't think that's clouding my thoughts here. I've played thousands of sng's and really think I would have fun playing 1500-2000/month continously if that was my only work(I've played 700+/month for the past few months with my job and still want more).

No, I don't play during work.

raptor517
08-11-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i knocked out like 2300 something in the month. i hated life when i was done though, and took a month off to play mtts. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been a lot of posts like this lately, so I'll give another side. I work 40+ hrs/week in a corporate career type job. The most SnGs I've played in a month was just over 1200 a couple of months ago while maintaining my normal office hrs. I couldn't wait to play more the next month. Maybe I'm not recalling accurately, but I really don't feel like I was burned out at any point, and I had several 100+ SnG days during my weekends in that month. I've had some time off from the games with my first born son arriving, so I may just be very happy to be getting back to the games, but I really don't think that's clouding my thoughts here. I've played thousands of sng's and really think I would have fun playing 1500-2000/month continously if that was my only work(I've played 700+/month for the past few months with my job and still want more).

No, I don't play during work.

[/ QUOTE ]

try doing it for 6 months full time. then see how much u like it. i fell in love the first couple months. then i slowly turned into a vampire without needing to be bitten.. holla

NegativeEV
08-11-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
try doing it for 6 months full time. then see how much u like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be right, I haven't experienced it yet. You should try working as a CPA for 6 months though and see how much you prefer those 2K sng months /images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

raptor517
08-11-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be right, I haven't experienced it yet. You should try working as a CPA for 6 months though and see how much you prefer those 2K sng months /images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats why i play poker /images/graemlins/wink.gif doing something like that to make a set wage of under 100k a year would make me /endlife. holla

Maulik
08-11-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats why i play poker /images/graemlins/wink.gif doing something like that to make a set wage of under 100k a year would make me /endlife. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

comments in C compliers look like this

// comment

Keep that in mind for when you make comments n0()b
alternatively

/* comment
*/

NegativeEV
08-11-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
doing something like that to make a set wage of under 100k a year would make me /endlife. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

me too /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

fnord_too
08-11-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AFAIK a lot of CPA's (if not most) make > $100K/year, but that is just speculation.

raptor517
08-11-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

comments in C compliers look like this

// comment

Keep that in mind for when you make comments n0()b
alternatively

/* comment
*/

[/ QUOTE ]

cout << "you suck" ;
isnt it like that? i duno i took c++ like 6 years ago.. holla

Maulik
08-11-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AFAIK a lot of CPA's (if not most) make > $100K/year, but that is just speculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

accounts, no

partners, yes, most make $100k++

NegativeEV
08-11-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

accounts, no

[/ QUOTE ]

Citanul should stop this thread anytime. Partners for big 4 accntg firms make > $500K (average new partners and older partners). Partners for smaller/local firms make > $200K average. Its fairly safe to say that a smart, career driven CPA should make > $100K/yr before they're 30 yrs old (not great, but not bad with only a 4 yr degree). This changes with geography a bit, but not materially.

raptor517
08-11-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

accounts, no

[/ QUOTE ]

Citanul should stop this thread anytime. Partners for big 4 accntg firms make > $500K (average new partners and older partners). Partners for smaller/local firms make > $200K average. Its fairly safe to say that a smart, career driven CPA should make > $100K/yr before they're 30 yrs old (not great, but not bad with only a 4 yr degree). This changes with geography a bit, but not materially.

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone wanna explain what a partner does thats diff than an account? i know nothing about accounting or being a cpa. any good internet links? raptor like money. holla

nate_king1
08-11-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

accounts, no

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone wanna explain what a partner does thats diff than an account? i know nothing about accounting or being a cpa. any good internet links? raptor like money. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Raptor don't you make >$100,000+ playing poker online?

NegativeEV
08-11-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A partner is a part owner of an acctng firm. The standard route for a partner is start with an accntg firm and work ur way up to partner over 7-15 yrs. You essentially get selected as a partner by the existing partners in the firm and you get to pay a nice capital call to "buy-in" to the partnership. There are many other routes for CPAs to take other than being a partner which generate > $100K before ur 30.

In anycase, if you want to make a ton of $$, don't mind working long hrs for a few yrs and are smart, look into investment banking. You'll need a 4 yr degree and a high-powered masters, but you'll clear $1M w/in 5 yrs if you're good.

BTW, Raptor, u don't wanna be a CPA even for > $100K (I don't know u, but feel safe saying this anyway).

nate_king1
08-11-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In anycase, if you want to make a ton of $$, don't mind working long hrs for a few yrs and are smart, look into investment banking. You'll need a 4 yr degree and a high-powered masters, but you'll clear $1M w/in 5 yrs if you're good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Investment Banking.. uhhh. How would you clear $1M in 5 years $200K x 5? Investment Banking is raising capital for businesses, and looking for possible acq/mergers. Right

raptor517
08-11-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

accounts, no

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Raptor don't you make >$100,000+ playing poker online?

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, but pokers not gonna be around forever. plus i have gambooool leaks not related necessarily to poker. FROM pokre i make that much, from leaks i go broke /images/graemlins/wink.gif. but im going back to school this semester, just regged for 16 hours of boredom. yay. holla

lacky
08-11-2005, 03:39 PM
All I've ever wanted was a job with no bosses, no clients, no customers, no employees, and nothing to sell. I'd play poker for $10 an hour and be happy I could do it. The rest is gravy. When I grow up I hope to do exactly what i'm doing.

Steve

NegativeEV
08-11-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Investment Banking.. uhhh. How would you clear $1M in 5 years $200K x 5? Investment Banking is raising capital for businesses, and looking for possible acq/mergers. Right

[/ QUOTE ]

Like anything, its the best who make the most, but if u get on with a top tier firm and excel, my understanding is that you can make > $1M/yr after 5 yrs. I don't have first hand knowledge, but have been around the game with M&A and IPO activity from the Accounting side. Your basic summary of the type of work is correct.

Mr_J
08-11-2005, 03:43 PM
My old man is a CPA and that's part of why I don't wanna work 9-5 (long hours, typical office politics, grind etc). I want to travel alot over the next few years, and I want to be around during the day for my kids etc etc.

Raptor, save all that money you make off poker and invest it. Won't be too long before you'll be able to retire.

nate_king1
08-11-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like anything, its the best who make the most, but if u get on with a top tier firm and excel, my understanding is that you can make > $1M/yr after 5 yrs. I don't have first hand knowledge, but have been around the game with M&A and IPO activity from the Accounting side. Your basic summary of the type of work is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm will look into this I'm currently going to school right now and I know I want to do something with Business.

Hornacek
08-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Trading is the way to go... and much more similar to poker than I-Banking. Trust me, I'm in trading, work 8-6 PM, and my roommate and friends are in I-Banking, and may work something like 6 AM to midnight...

raptor517
08-11-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Trading is the way to go... and much more similar to poker than I-Banking. Trust me, I'm in trading, work 8-6 PM, and my roommate and friends are in I-Banking, and may work something like 6 AM to midnight...

[/ QUOTE ]

6am to midnight isnt too far off from my old poker schedule.. just change the 6am to 6pm and the midnight to noon.. holla

Mr_J
08-11-2005, 03:51 PM
"I couldn't wait to play more the next month. Maybe I'm not recalling accurately, but I really don't feel like I was burned out at any point"

FWIW I feel kinda the same way. I wouldn't say it's 'fun', but playing sngs has become more enjoyable since I started playing volume. Before I started this challenge, I'd find trying to put in just hrs a day would be tough. Now I don't think I'd have a problem putting in 5. So it's only taken 3 days of long hours to change my effort issues. I guess I just needed to get into a routine.

raptor517
08-11-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I couldn't wait to play more the next month. Maybe I'm not recalling accurately, but I really don't feel like I was burned out at any point"

FWIW I feel kinda the same way. I wouldn't say it's 'fun', but playing sngs has become more enjoyable since I started playing volume. Before I started this challenge, I'd find trying to put in just hrs a day would be tough. Now I don't think I'd have a problem putting in 5. So it's only taken 3 days of long hours to change my effort issues. I guess I just needed to get into a routine.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah yes.. i remember those days.. i couldnt wait to load up more sngs and watch as my graphs rose and fell based upon my performance day by day. it grew tiresome though.. after seeing the same thing over and over.. maybe i just need frequent change.. who knows. i couldnt do this forever though. thats all im saying. gotta have things to keep you fresh for sure. i didnt. i had more sngs to keep me fresh. holla

nate_king1
08-11-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ah yes.. i remember those days.. i couldnt wait to load up more sngs and watch as my graphs rose and fell based upon my performance day by day. it grew tiresome though.. after seeing the same thing over and over.. maybe i just need frequent change.. who knows. i couldnt do this forever though. thats all im saying. gotta have things to keep you fresh for sure. i didnt. i had more sngs to keep me fresh. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Raptor how long have you been playing poker online(seriously). Do you have $100k+ bankroll?

raptor517
08-11-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Raptor how long have you been playing poker online(seriously). Do you have $100k+ bankroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

online seriously? well.. over a year.. since december since it was 40+ hours a week. and as to the bankroll? lol. hell no. i go to vegas too much. holla

nate_king1
08-11-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

online seriously? well.. over a year.. since december since it was 40+ hours a week. and as to the bankroll? lol. hell no. i go to vegas too much. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

What sng level do you play?

Unarmed
08-11-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm will look into this I'm currently going to school right now and I know I want to do something with Business.

[/ QUOTE ]

If finance truly interests you, go for it. If it doesn't, find something else to do with your life. The money is crazy but the bulk of the industry is made up of arrogant f*cks, the hours are long, you have to wear suits every day, the work can get pretty tedious, and its one of the more shallow career options out there. If you're an intelligent, driven person you're going to make decent coin no matter what path you choose, so pick something you enjoy.

That's coming from someone that doesn't even mind his job all that much (buy side equity research, math econ background). I just see so many intelligent guys that enter the industry and get trapped by the money/success, failing to realize that they'd probably be equally "successful" in whatever they chose to do.

BTW Hornacek is right. I-banking is sick sick coin ($1m is def possible 5 years in) but it sucks the soul right out of you.

Hornacek
08-11-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiousity, how about saving? Any plans on that? Or a retirement fund or Roth IRA? I've been playing semi-seriously for the last two years, through my Bachelors and Masters degrees. However, since starting my job, I've realized how inconsequential the money I made was, compared to how much I can make at my current job.

What are your long term goals?

fnord_too
08-11-2005, 04:41 PM
That's kinda the thing. Even though things are a little skewed right now because we are living in a boom town of poker, the skills and abilities you need to be a successful poker player will usually make you more in other areas. There is a lot of phantom income with poker (that is non monetary lifestyle things that make it more attractive than the actual income), but there is also some not so great stuff.

So raptor, what are you studying?

raptor517
08-11-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What sng level do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, 55s to step 5 highers, depending on what im looking for. i generally go with massively multitabling the 109s. thats where i have the most games played. right now im messin with the 55s though. holla

raptor517
08-11-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiousity, how about saving? Any plans on that? Or a retirement fund or Roth IRA? I've been playing semi-seriously for the last two years, through my Bachelors and Masters degrees. However, since starting my job, I've realized how inconsequential the money I made was, compared to how much I can make at my current job.

[/ QUOTE ]

one long term goal. (ok its a few wrapped into one) get rich before im 30. start a family. happily spend time with them without worrying about clipping coupons. holla

raptor517
08-11-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's kinda the thing. Even though things are a little skewed right now because we are living in a boom town of poker, the skills and abilities you need to be a successful poker player will usually make you more in other areas. There is a lot of phantom income with poker (that is non monetary lifestyle things that make it more attractive than the actual income), but there is also some not so great stuff.

So raptor, what are you studying?

[/ QUOTE ]

what am i studying? oh god. i suppose finance.. that was my intent like 3 years ago. nothing else seems to make sense to me.. this semester im just knocking out some required classes though. seems a bit of a waste to take a theatre class, but they make you. meh. holla

tricolore
08-11-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

BTW Hornacek is right. I-banking is sick sick coin ($1m is def possible 5 years in) but it sucks the soul right out of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of college, you are more looking at a/b 100k a year for the first two years (working 100+ hours a week). After that, they pretty much force you to go get a MBA.

After the MBA it gets interesting $ wise. Same hours, but you can shoot for a 500k bonus a within 2-3 years.

The4Aces
08-11-2005, 05:19 PM
raptor. do you play 55s all the time or something else in off peek hours?

maddog2030
08-11-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Out of college, you are more looking at a/b 100k a year for the first two years (working 100+ hours a week).

[/ QUOTE ]

That comes out to 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. Just enough time to go home, take a nap, and come back to work. Everyday.

raptor517
08-11-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
raptor. do you play 55s all the time or something else in off peek hours?

[/ QUOTE ]

i play whenever. the games suck at all times. holla

nate_king1
08-11-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

one long term goal. (ok its a few wrapped into one) get rich before im 30. start a family. happily spend time with them without worrying about clipping coupons. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic.....

fnord_too
08-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Finance is pretty cool. I liked that stuff most in my MBA program, especially portfolio management. Theatre classes can be fun (well, acting class was fun, and going to plays is cool, so it should be good.)

edit - though like others have noted, finance jobs can require insane hours. I don't think they all do, but a lot do. I'm just not monomaniacal, so I'll probably end up just doing consulting and free lance work and getting a PhD. Maybe I can be a Prof, that would rule. Holla!

Gigabet
08-11-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2300???....I think the last month I played less than that was november. Don't you get bored with all of your free time?

Seth Money
08-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Hahahah u just got GIGA SLAPPED /images/graemlins/grin.gif

FieryJustice
08-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Well, after playing full time for 4 months, I have grown from WANTING to play every day to to almost wanting to quit the game forever. I suppose my problem is that I have no life, so if I dont actually have something to do, I will play poker. I dont think i would hate the grind so much if it wasnt actually so much of a grind. The idea of waking up and playing perfectly all day just to lose $5000 doesnt seem to nice to me...Having said all of thaqt, it sure beats the hell out some random $10/hr job that i "should" be working. As for college for me, i imagine it is going to be pretty rough this semester with really no reason to finish school, as I am pretty sure I will not be able to find a job with my degree making anywhere near what poker brings in...all in all, I am happy i get to play cards for a living. 2500 in a month will make you go crazy.

KingDan
08-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Raptor, two questions.

How old were you when you started playing seriously?

And did you start by grinding it up, or was it $200 and [censored] around with the 50s and got lucky?

raptor517
08-11-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raptor, two questions.

How old were you when you started playing seriously?

And did you start by grinding it up, or was it $200 and [censored] around with the 50s and got lucky?

[/ QUOTE ]

i started playing poker at a club playing 3-6 LH and 1-2 NLH when i was 16. i started up online when i was 17 with my sisters name. i didnt do much in the way of making money until i turned 18. then i used my massive 500 bankroll to play 15-30. went on a tear there, ran it up to 2k, and started playing 55s. then i started tracking, and havent stopped. holla

Gigabet
08-11-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, after playing full time for 4 months, I have grown from WANTING to play every day to to almost wanting to quit the game forever. I suppose my problem is that I have no life, so if I dont actually have something to do, I will play poker. I dont think i would hate the grind so much if it wasnt actually so much of a grind. The idea of waking up and playing perfectly all day just to lose $5000 doesnt seem to nice to me...Having said all of thaqt, it sure beats the hell out some random $10/hr job that i "should" be working. As for college for me, i imagine it is going to be pretty rough this semester with really no reason to finish school, as I am pretty sure I will not be able to find a job with my degree making anywhere near what poker brings in...all in all, I am happy i get to play cards for a living. 2500 in a month will make you go crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try losing 60k in one day, and feeling perfectly fine about it. There is no chance that we are doing the same thing while we are playing. I never lose interest or dread the "grind." I certainly don't have to do it anymore if I did dread it...but I still do.

You need to change your whole mindset about what it is you are doing while you are "playing poker" or resign yourself to the fact that you do not have what it takes.

First off, if you are dreading it, but know inside you want to do it, make yourself excited about it. My god man, you just put about as depressing of a light as you can possible shed on my chosen profession.

raptor517
08-11-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2300???....I think the last month I played less than that was november. Don't you get bored with all of your free time?

[/ QUOTE ]

lemme stab myself in the knee real quick so i can bow down to you /images/graemlins/wink.gif i look forward to beating you again at the calcutta. holla

petvan
08-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Work in general tends to suck, even if you are a good bit north of 100k. However, the problem with that is it is you have to be really quite good at poker to keep your lifestyle when you quit..

lacky
08-11-2005, 09:59 PM
I would gladly go back to grinding .5/1 for $15/hour if thats what it took to be able to do this job. I love it. I see a ton of my family, I see every game and concert my kids have, and I play a game for a living. No politics, to brown nosing. It's 100% based on ability.

I'm sure I don't have quite your composure yet giga, it still bugs me when i lose a big hand deep in a mtt, mostly cause I really wanted to win the thing. But, if I ever experience the kind of additude Fiery discribes I take time off till my frame of mind is right.

Steve

raptor517
08-11-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would gladly go back to grinding .5/1 for $15/hour if thats what it took to be able to do this job. I love it. I see a ton of my family, I see every game and concert my kids have, and I play a game for a living. No politics, to brown nosing. It's 100% based on ability.

I'm sure I don't have quite your composure yet giga, it still bugs me when i lose a big hand deep in a mtt, mostly cause I really wanted to win the thing. But, if I ever experience the kind of additude Fiery discribes I take time off till my frame of mind is right.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

i gotta speak up for ol lacky. no1 i have ever met looks at the game in such a light as him. (not saying they arent out there, i just havent met them..). anyways.. he plays professionally. yes. he has some sick discipline. yes. coupled with the discipline, he wont play above his roll, and often plays MASSIVELY under it.

over a year ago when i was first getting started seriously playing.. i remember running into some 'idiot' named ifusayso that i managed to talk a lot of crap to and start up a tizzy. i made some goofy push and he made some goofy call and both went off. couple months later i kept seeing more and more of him, then i realized it wasnt just some random idiot. so naturally, i started talking to him, as i like to know who im playing against, the good people at least.

anyways.. i was just kinda reminiscing right there.. but yea, lacky may not be the big baller sitting in the 25-50 NL game on ub or the 100-200 4 handed running on stars all the time, but hes there grinding. and hes HAPPY with it. he doesnt take sh** from anyone, as he doesnt have to. he makes his own schedule, and gets to do the most important thing of all. be with his family EVERY day. who gets to say that? i respect lacky at the highest level. talk sh** to him and ill choke a bit**. holla

Maulik
08-11-2005, 10:42 PM
I vote for this thread to be re-named the raptor how do you make and lose lots of money thread?

I'm just glad we don't hear about Ungar like problems.

johnnybeef
08-11-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cmon, hes ninefuckinteen. im 25 and im just starting to create long term goals. while mature for his age, raptor is a sh*t talking fun having kid with a lot of cash. let him live a couple more years before he gets old like me (25 sucks)

USCSigma1097
08-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Lacky, You SUCK

RAPTOR BRING ON THE CHOKING. It's the only chance I have to beat you.

Sigma

PS Lacky you don't suck, I always enjoy and respect your posts. However, the day I let a nineteen year old luckbox threaten to choke someone and noone steps up is the day my aces hold up in a MTT.

lacky
08-11-2005, 11:29 PM
ugh, weak challange man, it goes like this...

Lacky, You SUCK, and you SUCK too raptor, matter of fact you both suck DONKEY DICKS!!!

then you pm me to say just kidding.....

Steve

johnnybeef
08-11-2005, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ugh, weak challange man, it goes like this...

Lacky, You SUCK, and you SUCK too raptor, matter of fact you both suck DONKEY DICKS!!!

then you pm me to say just kidding.....

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

lacky you suck donkey dick

astarck
08-11-2005, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2300???....I think the last month I played less than that was november.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if 2300 is an easy month, what is a big SNG month? Or even your record?

raptor517
08-11-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lacky, You SUCK

RAPTOR BRING ON THE CHOKING. It's the only chance I have to beat you.

Sigma

PS Lacky you don't suck, I always enjoy and respect your posts. However, the day I let a nineteen year old luckbox threaten to choke someone and noone steps up is the day my aces hold up in a MTT.

[/ QUOTE ]

do trust.. im not a luckbox. also, i detest the fact that anyone would disrespect me because i have simply not lived as long as another person. seems to bee the most foolish form of envy there is. i know yer joking /images/graemlins/wink.gif but am i?????? holla

eastbay
08-12-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See this is an industry I just don't get. If you're actually worth $1M/yr at 70 hours a week, why can't you work "half time" 35 hours for a measly $500K? There never seems to be any such option.

eastbay

eastbay
08-12-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If traders can make good money, why do they bother working for an institution? Is there some kind of access to markets you can't get independently? Do you need a billion dollar roll or something?

eastbay

tshort
08-12-2005, 12:45 AM
I know a few investment bankers. The most successful one left the bank when he was about thirty. The ones who stayed with their firm made a nice 6 figure living. The one who left to start his own venture capital company made a nice 7 figure living.

DrPhysic
08-12-2005, 01:41 AM
Sure, then he can retire and do stuff he enjoys like:

Play poker.

Travel. (go to aruba and play poker, go to paris and play poker, go to .....)

Go fishing. (Here little fishy fishy fishy...get in this nice $5k step)

Doc /images/graemlins/cool.gif

WarDekar
08-12-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If traders can make good money, why do they bother working for an institution? Is there some kind of access to markets you can't get independently? Do you need a billion dollar roll or something?

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

There's some great info on this in a book I'm reading, Trading For A Living. You'd have to read it to get the full idea of what the author means, but basically traders can win working for an institution because it isn't their money they trade with so they detach themselves emotionally. Once they start using their own $$, they start down the path of a "loser" and just can't help themselves - overextending themselves, putting too much into one trade, blaming the fact they have less resources now, etc. etc. etc.

It is a common thing, though, that a trader can be very profitable for an institution, yet lose their own money.

USCSigma1097
08-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Raptor,

You don't mean envy, you mean discrimination. And age discrimination is not the most foolish discrimination, people discriminating against me because of my small penis is.

Sigma

Hornacek
08-12-2005, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, you also need a ridiculous bankroll. I'm not sure traders want to put up the $100 mill or so the SEC mandates that they have based on their position.

Also, lots of trading companies have proprietary software that may help in doing market research, trading techniques, etc. that a solo trader wouldn't have, unless he wanted to spend years developing this software himself.

MegaBet
08-12-2005, 11:40 AM
WOW! You need to get a life! holla... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

eastbay
08-12-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

There's some great info on this in a book I'm reading, Trading For A Living.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've read it.

I think it's not so applicable to systematic traders, though, which is the route I'd go if I were to get into it.

It kind of seems like trading is still sort of in a dark age for many - there's all kinds of mystical crap, transparently pseudo-science and psychobabble surrounding it.

eastbay

Maulik
08-12-2005, 12:08 PM
value investing is to using ICM as gigabet is to mechanical trading
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

locutus2002
08-12-2005, 12:13 PM
I don't think you should be criticizing anyone's profession.

As far as a career goes, poker has some serious limitations including:
Lack of contact with people
Repetitiveness
Basically unhealthy (long periods of high stress, and sedentary)
Failure to progress once you reach a certain level(probably true for most players)
No retirement or health benefits vacation, Xmas parties, sleeping with the secretary, etc.

The fact is that poker is very narrowing:
Of the millions of hands you play a year, how many are memorable?
Do you have a view on Musharraf's recent stand on banning foreigners from the Muslim schools?
Are you addicted or do you enjoy it?
Is poker going to help you achieve your potential as a human being: health, long term goals, family, intellectual curiosity? Or maybe all you want to do is flip cards.

Obviously any career path is going to have its drawbacks, but poker in general, is pretty narrow, and probably not that high paying if you set your mind to something else with that much passion.

Moonsugar
08-12-2005, 12:22 PM
You have such a good attitude. I wish you posted more on here, it is quite refreshing to see someone who gives awesome insight and has a good attitude.