PDA

View Full Version : Help my golf game

Runner Runner
08-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Typical poker players either know everything or think they do. Alright so if you guys are so smart, fix my slice.

Here's a description of my problem:

I rarely hook or pull it anymore. I have almost eliminated the left side. Whether I hit an iron or a wood, I hit it either slightly right of where I am aiming or well right of where I am aiming. I want to hit the ball straight, can you know it alls help me?

SossMan
08-11-2005, 01:11 PM
sounds like a push, not a slice

a slice will typically start out way left and curve way right. a push will simply start out right.

for most people, the best place to start is having someone check your grip and alignment.

touchfaith
08-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Close up the club face a little bit and take your natural swing.

Rinse & repeat with adjustments as you see fit, but try not to change your natural swing that feels comfortable to you.

RacersEdge
08-11-2005, 01:27 PM
If you miss it a little right, probably swing plane right, but clubface open.

If you slice it, club face still open and swing plane is outside-in (over the top).

dcasper70
08-11-2005, 01:37 PM
describe the ball flight and other stuff, could be helpful in the analysis....

Does it start straight & tail off or is it straight, just on an angle slightly right of center?
How far right does it end up 10, 20, 30 yards?
What do you know about your swing plane? Straight or outside-in?
How about your divots, do they point straight, left, or right?

Yeti
08-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Aim more to the left.

Runner Runner
08-11-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Does it start straight & tail off or is it straight, just on an angle slightly right of center?

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, poker players really do know it all. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

My grip is strong.
With my woods, the ball starts straight and tails off to the right, losing a lot of power and distance. I do aim well left to counter this.

With my irons, the ball goes straight, but off to the right, I guess it is more like a push.

Divots point straight, swing plane is definitely not inside out, I don't think it's outside in though.

I guess I hit it about 25 yards right of where I am aiming with woods and maybe 15 yards right with irons.

Wilbix
08-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Friggin' banana slice driver.....I hate golf.

klagett
08-11-2005, 01:55 PM
I think a lesson for 20$-50$ with a coach would help you a lot more in person than anybody can do here over the net.

CrazyEyez
08-11-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, poker players really do know it all. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

My grip is strong.
With my woods, the ball starts straight and tails off to the right, losing a lot of power and distance. I do aim well left to counter this.

With my irons, the ball goes straight, but off to the right, I guess it is more like a push.

Divots point straight, swing plane is definitely not inside out, I don't think it's outside in though.

I guess I hit it about 25 yards right of where I am aiming with woods and maybe 15 yards right with irons.

[/ QUOTE ]
Move the ball forward in your stance a little. That will give you time to square the club face.

Guy Incognito
08-11-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Move the ball forward in your stance a little. That will give you time to square the club face.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this too, when I'm hitting it right. Also, making contact too close to the heel causes me to hit it right sometimes, might want to try lining it up towards the toe for a few swings and see what happens.

SossMan
08-11-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is really good advice. alignment, ball position and grip can fix 90% of your problems. Don't think about swing plane so much, just concentrate on setting up properly and making solid contact.

dcasper70
08-11-2005, 02:34 PM
How good a golfer are you? What 's your handicap or what's a typical score?

HtotheNootch
08-11-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a lesson for 20$-50$ with a coach would help you a lot more in person than anybody can do here over the net.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best advice in this thread.

Double Eagle
08-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Extraordinary Golf (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/039952276X/ref=cm_cr_dp_pt/103-0436703-1045404?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=507846&s=books)

Order this book today. Read it three times. Then post back on this thread as to what you were doing wrong.

Runner Runner
08-11-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How good a golfer are you? What 's your handicap or what's a typical score?

[/ QUOTE ]

Poor, but not terrible. I took a lesson this year which helped but I still hit like a girl, 210yd-Driver, 150yd-5iron, I am dissapointed when I go out and don't break 100, but I haven't yet broken 90.

I don't think I could ever give this sport up though. I am an athlete who is quite good at basketball, ultimate and tennis. Golf is my favorite though, probably because it intrigues me that I could be so bad at something. Any poker players here good at golf? I think it would be more challenging for us to be good at the game because of our tendency to analyze like crazy. A complete bonehead is probably a favorite to get good at golf, because he wouldn't have any swing thoughts.

kyro
08-11-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aim more to the left.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may think you're funny, but this is exactly what I do.

touchfaith
08-11-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... Any poker players here good at golf?...

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit a few. Join the 2+2 Yahoo Handicap tracker group! (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=sportevents&Number=2674970 &Forum=f32&Words=handicap&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Ma in=2674970&Search=true&where=sub&Name=&daterange=1 &newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyp rev=#Post2674970) The more the merrier!

I'm a 13 and not even close to being good compared to some here....

decigam
08-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Hi, Do Not aim more to the left and do no move the ball forward,

Aiming left will just make the swing plane worse and and the slice larger.

The reason people have said to move the ball forward in your stance is because it will give the clubface more time to correct (close before impact). However, I would not give this advice to someone who is not a VERY solid player who has very little movement in his swing (and an inside out path). When recreational players move the ball forward they end up with a more out in path and end up lunging(sp?) forward at the ball.

I would actually advise you to move tha ball BACK in your stance. This will probably improve your path and will create impact as the clubface closes naturally (notice the ball stays on the clubface for a while, so you want the face to first contact the ball slightly open and then close while the ball is still on it). Moving the ball back will also imporve ball contact(more vertical) and will help you gain that much needed distance.

As a final thought, think of it like this. When the ball is forward in your stance, your axis tilts foward, making the natural plane more outside in. The opposite happens when you move the ball back. You want to be inside out right now, so move the ball BACK. It'll feel weird and less free at first, but try hitting a full bucket of balls before making up your mind.

Hope this helps.
Ed

RacersEdge
08-11-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Aim more to the left.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may think you're funny, but this is exactly what I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great way to make your slice worse.

AndysDaddy
08-11-2005, 04:17 PM
As a former cronic push-slicer (now just cronically inconsistant) you can try what I did. It helped me quite a bit.
1. Move a little closer to the ball at address.
2. Rotate your bottom hand on the club a little bit over the top (counter clockwise if you're a righty).

This definitely helped me.
--
Scott

beerbandit
08-11-2005, 04:32 PM
check where you are aiming first

check club face - possibly open

try keeping your elbow closer to your side, many slices are caused by an in to out swing, this helps keep your swing from doing that

maybe try to shroten your swing some

cheers

08-11-2005, 05:00 PM
outside in swing bad
inside out good
work on this, it will fix your slice at least a little bit.
If not, try focusing on turning over your left wrist through the swing