PDA

View Full Version : Computer going nuts

Homer
08-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Everytime I turn on my computer, the mouse starts moving around randomly and right-clicking. Then, it goes down to the bottom-left corner and does the same thing, but even faster. Then, it stops functioning altogether. At that point, I have full control over everything, but only through the keyboard. I thought maybe it had something to do with my actual mouse, but I unplugged it and restarted, and the same thing happened.

How can I figure out what is wrong? Should I be starting the computer in "safe mode" (I'm not even sure what that is or how to get to it) and running a virus scan? I heard there is some sort of rollback feature I can use, to move my system back to how it was a few days ago. Is that an option?

-- Thanks, Homer

BBill
08-11-2005, 03:57 PM
a few questions;
- is it a laptop pc or desktop?
- is it a serial mouse or PS2 or USB?
- did it just start happening after you installed any new hardware or software?
- are you running XP?

Homer
08-11-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is it a laptop pc or desktop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Desktop

[ QUOTE ]
is it a serial mouse or PS2 or USB?

[/ QUOTE ]

PS2, I believe (the connection to the computer is round).

[ QUOTE ]
did it just start happening after you installed any new hardware or software?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. One day the computer was working fine and I turned it off. The next time I turned it on, it started happening.

[ QUOTE ]
are you running XP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

-- Thanks, Homer

Mr Gee
08-11-2005, 05:51 PM
First thing I'd try is a different PS2 mouse. If that doesn't work I'd try a USB mouse. That way you could rule out a hardware problem with the mouse or the PS2 port.

If that still doesn't work I'd try reinstalling the mouse drivers.

BBill
08-11-2005, 07:29 PM
First, with the PC off I'd take the mouse connector out and the plug it back in.

Next and I'm not sure how you can do this without a mouse (see below), but to check if there is an irq conflict

To do this without a mouse - There should be a keyboard function key, on mine its the lower row 3 keys to the right of the space bar its a picture of a menu. The key will do the same a a right click.

- right click on the "my Computer icon and select "properties"

- Select the Hardware tab
- Open device manager
- expand the mouse tab
- right click on the mouse and select properties

The display should tell you if the PC thinks the mouse is working properly or if ther is a conflict.

If it says it is working properly then chances are its a bad mouse.

It would be about a 15.00 purchase for a USB or ps2 mouse to be sure unless you have a spare.