PDA

View Full Version : Too aggressive, overplaying my rush?

jedinite
08-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Sorry for the lack of actual hand history, but details from memory:

I'm on a rush - three firsts in a row followed by a second (and got the money in HU as a 2-1 favorite there). Was I too aggressive here, overplaying my rush or was this the right play?

Party $22. Eight players left, i'm second smallest stack. Blinds are 25/50, its the first few hands at that level. I've just posted the BB and have 700 left. Villian is third smallest stack with approx 1100, has shown general weakness and passivity.

Its folded around to Villian who is one-off the button. He raises to 150. I'm holding KTc and I immediately come over the top all-in.

I certainly could have run a stop and go here, and in retrospect probably should have done so over pushing preflop.

However, in general what does everyone think of the play? I assume i've got borderline-but-decent FE here, and am looking to take advantage of the villian's passivity and make a move as a smaller stack...

Mostly concerned in retrospect that I was overvaluing my rush and should have avoided a coinflip here to wait for a situation where I could lead out with a little better FE (i.e. two of the next three hands possibly). If anything I feel the stop and go would have been a better play as that likely eliminates a medium pocket pair (based on my read that he's not likely to be aware of the play).

samr
08-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Fold PF

bluefeet
08-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Yep. Take a deeeeeeeeeeep breath. Exhale. "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

Fold this to his raise. You still have 14BB's after folding. WAY to early to be concerning yourself with sniffing out blinds steals, resteals, and such.

5-6 handed, 100-150 big blinds, there could be consideration here w/ this hand (though I personally would rather clear the blinds and do some pushing on the other side).

jedinite
08-11-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
5-6 handed, 100-150 big blinds, there could be consideration here w/ this hand (though I personally would rather clear the blinds and do some pushing on the other side).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Thought so in retrospect.

Not necesarily that interesting a hand, only makes the query because I feel i usually wouldn't have done this had I not been running so hot already. Poor play on my part.

Thanks for the analysis.

jedinite
08-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Looking at this one more time from memory, its possible the blinds had just jumped to 50/100 that would put the scenario as:

Party $22. Eight players left, i'm second smallest stack. Blinds are 50/100, its the first few hands at that level. I've just posted the BB and have 700 left. Villian is third smallest stack with approx 1100, has shown general weakness and passivity.

Its folded around to Villian who is one-off the button. He raises to 250. I'm holding KTc and I immediately come over the top all-in.

Does that change the situation enough, or still fold to the raise pre-flop and try to steal a round or two after the blinds?

bluefeet
08-11-2005, 03:37 PM
i'm a tight old bastard. short of a read that ensured me a) he'd fold to a push, or b) he's flat out stealing with rags...i still like my chances, picking MY time for the open-aggression.

200 big blind? giving him a few more chips? i'd prefer to call and push the flop i guess.

AliasMrJones
08-11-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold PF

[/ QUOTE ]

kong98
08-11-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villian is third smallest stack with approx 1100, has shown general weakness and passivity.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is weak and passive, shouldn't his raise scare you? I think you're facing a good ace or a PP here too often to make this a good play. At best you're a coinflip, at worst, you're dominated. Why take the risk here?

You're not desperate yet, and you can find better places to steal.

Bartman387
08-11-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold PF

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jedinite
08-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I had the same feeling immediately thereafter - should have picked an opportunity where I could open push, as I was coinflipping at best. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Just wanted a sanity check from the board, to make sure I wasn't reacting to the results instead of (correctly) identifying the mis-play.

Reviewing the actual hand history now, and the amounts were mostly correct. Blinds were in fact 50/100 and Villan min-raised to 200 with ~800 behind. I had ~650 behind after posting BB.

The min raise one off the button is what set me off, seeing it as another passive play and my instinct was that I could push him off his small PP by pushing over the top.

I think a stop-and-go might have been more successful at doing so, but I still think the "fold PF" advice is the best decision in retrospect.

Thanks again.