PDA

View Full Version : PGA Championship

RacersEdge
08-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Woods 4 over through 14....7 back of the leaders.

I think I'm going to put some money of Charles Howard III to win.

Eurotrash
08-11-2005, 12:50 PM
quick, edit the title to read "PGA Championship" /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Go PHIL!

RacersEdge
08-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Good catch..

offTopic
08-11-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you meant Thurston Howell III.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/TH3.jpg

RacersEdge
08-11-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you meant Thurston Howell III.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/TH3.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I did mean Charles Howell, not Charles Howard..

Man ,I'm butchering this thread big time.

2+2 wannabe
08-11-2005, 02:50 PM
phil just hit a tremendous shot

Eurotrash
08-11-2005, 06:06 PM
NICE 67, PHIL.

Eurotrash
08-12-2005, 10:47 AM
.. just rolled in an eagle 3 on 18 to cap off a 5 under par 31 on his first nine.

GO PHIL!

lil_o
08-12-2005, 11:03 AM
I got tickets to go to the PGA Championship Saturday /images/graemlins/smile.gif))

DougOzzzz
08-12-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
.. just rolled in an eagle 3 on 18 to cap off a 5 under par 31 on his first nine.

GO PHIL!

[/ QUOTE ]

he gave those 2 strokes back awfully quick.

Eurotrash
08-12-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

he gave those 2 strokes back awfully quick.

[/ QUOTE ]

and just got them back over the next 4 holes. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Go Phil!

RacersEdge
08-12-2005, 12:32 PM
I was going to put $ on Howell, but he wasn't an option at the website. So I went with Sabbatini instead. So far, he's looking pretty good. I bought 10 $2 contracts on him - all worth $100 if he wins. They're probably worth about $20 each right now if I sell. What should I do?

DougOzzzz
08-12-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was going to put $ on Howell, but he wasn't an option at the website. So I went with Sabbatini instead. So far, he's looking pretty good. I bought 10 $2 contracts on him - all worth $100 if he wins. They're probably worth about $20 each right now if I sell. What should I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can really get $20 for each, then SELL. That is way too high a price.

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 12:53 PM
I think Tiger will miss the cut.

Hope he doesn't, and if anyone can come back, it's obviously him...but I don't think it happens this week.

Eurotrash
08-12-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Tiger will miss the cut.

[/ QUOTE ]

he just got wet on the par 3 4th.

andyfox
08-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Helluva first two rounds. He just might run away and hide.

Then again . . .

SossMan
08-12-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Helluva first two rounds. He just might run away and hide.

Then again . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

just heard a stat. he is dead last in the field of 165 in driving distance and 7th in driving accuracy. That's not exactly the Phil we've come to know. Seems that he's playing it more conservative this week.

holeplug
08-12-2005, 06:48 PM
Just watched Tiger barely make the cut. Its weird that no matter how bad he is playing he can turn it on when he has to and shoot -3 on the back to sqeak in.

Phil is playing really really good. Buuuut it is Phil so the weekend should be interesting.

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Yeah, it's amazing how he pulls these things out of his ass when he needs to, should be a great weekend with him chasing...

On a side note, the course is getting easier tonight...

The PGA said the tree would be removed before Saturday's third round as a precaution. (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-pga-fallinglimb&prov=ap&type=lgns)

trying2learn
08-12-2005, 07:23 PM
65 with a double and two bogeys for Phil today?

that's just sick. go lefty.

SossMan
08-12-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it's amazing how he pulls these things out of his ass when he needs to, should be a great weekend with him chasing...

On a side note, the course is getting easier tonight...

The PGA said the tree would be removed before Saturday's third round as a precaution. (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-pga-fallinglimb&prov=ap&type=lgns)

[/ QUOTE ]

greenside trees normally don't do anything but help you.

battschr
08-12-2005, 09:38 PM
....unless you happen to be standing beneath them.

Bill Murphy
08-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Looks very, very good for The Phold. Actually, barring a 74 from him and a 63 from VJ or Goose, I think he gots it in the ag-bag.

If he goes 67-69 over the weekend and wins by 6 the question then becomes: "WTFF have you been thinking about since Doral?".

touchfaith
08-13-2005, 02:00 AM
I didn't watch...Did anyone end up going after or reaching that 650 17th in two?

I'm assuming nobody made it or it would have been on the news report I just saw, but whats the closest anyone got??

battschr
08-13-2005, 02:01 AM
Tiger did, he flew it to mid-green, but he got a bad break when the ball bounced off of the side of the green and got a horribly lie in the bunker. But he was there easily.

RacersEdge
08-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Did he hit his driver from the fairway or 3 wood?

battschr
08-13-2005, 12:43 PM
3-wood.

battschr
08-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Nice ace there by CH3.

RacersEdge
08-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Leaders fading in a major again. Tiger might have an outside chance. Wow.

mmbt0ne
08-13-2005, 05:18 PM
If he hadn't played the par 5s at +1 this week (which is VERY unlike him) he'd be in great position.

trying2learn
08-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Lefty has played the front 9 bad all week...I expect him to put a 2 or 3 under number up on the back.

Bill Murphy
08-14-2005, 02:15 AM
Well, both Phold & Tiger missed golden opportunities in the third round. Phold coulda eliminated all but a handful of guys, and that double on 1 Friday didn't help. However, he also didn't fall apart and he's still in the lead.

66 was the worst score Tiger coulda shot Saturday. 61 was possible and 63-64 was mandatory. +1 on the par fives thru 3 rounds, wow. He's gonna have to go real low today and hope. I think he prolly falls short and finishes 4th or 5th.

Gonna be a long hot humid day. No surprise most of the leaders(save Owen & Westwood) are from places w/that kind of weather. DL3 deserves credit for three solid rounds, but IMO he doesn't do well in crowded final rounds. Someone like Goosen, Appleby, or Westwood could get red hot tomorrow and steal it, but I say Phold will play off the crowd, rebound w/a 66 and just hold off VJ's 65.

andyfox
08-14-2005, 02:21 AM
While I like Phil about sicty two million times more than Vijay, if I was a betting man, I'd take Vijay tomorrow.

banditbdl
08-14-2005, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure why, but for some reason I think Davis finds a way today.

Clarkmeister
08-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Phold and Davis are both well known chokers and Vijay, while unstoppable when he has the lead on the last day, is not a great closer. Reverse handicapping leaves me with Bjorn.

La Brujita
08-14-2005, 01:08 PM
Future market at wsex has bjorn at 7-9. I bought some looking to sell after a bit.

RacersEdge
08-14-2005, 01:46 PM
I like Bjorn, just based on the scores from the 3rd round. He's got to have the most confidence of the leaders after his 63.

Homer
08-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Random prediction -- Elkington shoots 66, Love shoots 68 and they end up in a playoff at -8. Elkington wins.

DeadMoneyOC
08-14-2005, 03:34 PM
ship it

offTopic
08-14-2005, 03:41 PM
It's annoying when people do this, so, with that in mind, it would've been funny if Mickelson had audibly told Love, "That's one." when Love knocked his ball off the tee on #1.

RacersEdge
08-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Huh? - It is a penalty....

I didn't see it.

Eurotrash
08-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Go PHIL!

trying2learn
08-14-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go PHIL!

[/ QUOTE ]

offTopic
08-14-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Huh? - It is a penalty....

I didn't see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Love put the ball on the tee, then patted down the grass behind it with his 3W (driver?) and knocked it off the tee.

He clearly hadn't taken his stance, so no penalty.

CallMeIshmael
08-14-2005, 05:13 PM
In the battle of Davis Love vs pressure, pressure is like 71-1.

Clarkmeister
08-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Lefty vomiting all over himself. I love Elkington, he's hysterical on the Rome show. I have a horse to root for now.

Homer
08-14-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Random prediction -- Elkington shoots 66, Love shoots 68 and they end up in a playoff at -8. Elkington wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be looking badass right now if I hadn't been quite so specific. Go Elkington!

Homer
08-14-2005, 05:31 PM
You know, it's amazing, if Tiger could eagle 18 and post -3....

Clarkmeister
08-14-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lefty vomiting all over himself. I love Elkington, he's hysterical on the Rome show. I have a horse to root for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phold in rare form, Elk surging to the outright lead.

trying2learn
08-14-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can root for Elk for sure - jungle karma pwns. But you're being too hard on Lefty this early...he's played the front badly all week, and hasn't lost the tourney yet.

Clarkmeister
08-14-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But you're being too hard on Lefty this early

[/ QUOTE ]

This early? With one lucky exception, this has been going on for over a decade with him. He's the happy loser and I love seeing him implode like the pathetic losing choking loser that he is.

DeadMoneyOC
08-14-2005, 05:49 PM
They are talking like -2 just might be able to make it into a playoff....I think they might be right.....

PhatTBoll
08-14-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can root for Elk for sure - jungle karma pwns. But you're being too hard on Lefty this early...he's played the front badly all week, and hasn't lost the tourney yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Come on. We've seen this movie before. Phil=phinished

trying2learn
08-14-2005, 05:53 PM
we'll see...

DL3 shot the same score on the front...

and I don't think 2 or 3 under has got a chance like the commentators...it's gonna be 5 at least.

Homer
08-14-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They are talking like -2 just might be able to make it into a playoff....I think they might be right.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see Elkington dropping 3 shots over the last 6 holes, but you never know with how the course is playing right now. I really think he's finishing at -4 and taking it, though.

Bill Murphy
08-14-2005, 05:57 PM
Gad, whatta train wreck by Phold, DL3, and Goose. Elk has to be at least 6-1 to stroll in. If Tiger had made those putts on 15 & 16....and he coulda had a double eagle on 17. In hindsight, T defo shoulda played 17 & 18 for birdies yesterday, but that ain't his style.

S'pose VJ could still play 17-18 in 3 under and get into a playoff, but Elk looks in great shape, and yes, he's prolly the best interview in the game.

Bill Murphy
08-14-2005, 05:59 PM
and BTW CBS's coverage has been WSOPishly bad, and all their new shows being pimped look awful, esp the Friends wannabe.

RacersEdge
08-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Unbelievable again.

TW must be grinding his teeth in the clubhouse thinking about his first 2 holes today - par-par and he probably wins the tourney.

Clarkmeister
08-14-2005, 06:13 PM
BTW, I love how all the Phold Phans have vanished from the thread. Cause you know they would have been obnoxious in their support of the loser if he had been pulling away. Another reason to root for Elk is to keep the Phans quiet.

trying2learn
08-14-2005, 06:24 PM
I'm a phil fan - and have been here the whole time Clark.

I haven't vanished...and neither has he.

Bill Murphy
08-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Looks like Phold has stabilized(tho he just drove it in the rough), and Elk is in trouble. May have weather & daylight trouble. Gonna come down to someone eagling 17 or 18.

Clarkmeister
08-14-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks like Phold has stabilized(tho he just drove it in the rough), and Elk is in trouble. May have weather & daylight trouble. Gonna come down to someone eagling 17 or 18.

[/ QUOTE ]

-4 wins outright. Book it.

CrazyPsycho
08-14-2005, 06:29 PM
Shot of the tourney right there. Every PGA event should have rough like this.

trying2learn
08-14-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LEFTY PWNS. wonder who will disappear from the thread now...you guys better hope the guy who was, "phinished" doesn't phinish phirst.

Clarkmeister
08-14-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LEFTY PWNS. wonder who will disappear from the thread now...you guys better hope the guy who was, "phinished" doesn't phinish phirst.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or what? You loser fans of the happy loser will chirp about how he finally got as many majors as Jon Daly?

PhatTBoll
08-14-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
For the record, I am pulling for him. I've just seen his act too many times to get very excited. Either way, there's plenty of golf left.

trying2learn
08-14-2005, 06:34 PM
hate all you want...all i said was that it wasn't over when you guys were calling him dead on the FRONT NINE on a sunday in a major.

anyone who doesn't know there's a ton of golf left isn't being realistic.

and actually, the same holds right now...a lot can happen.

I don't really want to get into an argument about whether or not Phil is any good...that's silly.

CrazyPsycho
08-14-2005, 06:36 PM
That should do it for tonight. Gonna be a lonnnng night for everyone but Tiger.

La Brujita
08-14-2005, 06:36 PM
I wish they didn't start these things with such little margin for error time wise.

Clarkmeister
08-14-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hate all you want...all i said was that it wasn't over when you guys were calling him dead on the FRONT NINE on a sunday in a major.

I don't really want to get into an argument about whether or not Phil is any good...that's silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

My record of calling Phil dead while still in contention on the front nine Sunday in a major is a lot better than yours. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

And I never said he wasn't any good. I said he's a loser. The Greg Norman of his era.

trying2learn
08-14-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not going to get down to -2. just not happening...the easiest holes on the course are the ones left, and singh, love, elk, bjorn, and lefty aren't all going to play them over par.

Homer
08-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Bad luck for Tiger that they aren't finishing now, with the wind in the players' faces at 16-18.

Clarkmeister
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiger should save himself the wait and grab a flight home. This one isn't going to finish at -2.

trying2learn
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My record of calling Phil dead while still in contention on the front nine Sunday in a major is a lot better than yours. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

And I never said he wasn't any good. I said he's a loser. The Greg Norman of his era.

[/ QUOTE ]

you said i was a loser too.

and i wasn't on a message board when you called him done on the front nine before, i was today.

i just wonder why people enjoy bagging instead of appreciating.

Clarkmeister
08-14-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bad luck for Tiger that they aren't finishing now, with the wind in the players' faces at 16-18.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now *that* is true.

Bill Murphy
08-14-2005, 06:41 PM
That was quite a shot by Phold, then he yarks the putt of course. The Elk bogeys and we got a delay. Geez, Elk's got his gramps on the bag.

I think Phold & VJ got an advantage now w/the par 5's yet to play.

If -4 wins, do you think Tiger will whack Elin before he slips himself into a noose?

JTrout
08-14-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I love how all the Phold Phans have vanished from the thread. Cause you know they would have been obnoxious in their support of the loser if he had been pulling away. Another reason to root for Elk is to keep the Phans quiet.

[/ QUOTE ]

There certainly has been one obnoxious poster in this thread.

trying2learn
08-14-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ya think? which is surprising because he's never struck me as that before.

Homer
08-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Anyone know what the ticketing policy is when they finish these things up on a Monday? Usually, there aren't nearly as many fans present. I'm thinking that maybe I could find my way in somehow, as I'm only 10-15 minutes from there.

-- Homer

Clarkmeister
08-14-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Acknowledged and guilty. I just loathe the media fellating this loser, and I similarly detest the fans who adore this guy who does nothing but choke and smile about it.

trying2learn
08-14-2005, 06:49 PM
just go down tomorrow morning...they'll let you in.

Clarkmeister
08-14-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ya think? which is surprising because he's never struck me as that before.

[/ QUOTE ]

We all have our pet peeves, and the loser is one of mine. He's brought me great joy.

JTrout
08-14-2005, 06:50 PM
Many PGA Tour events have been free admission on Monday.
Don't know the PGA of A.'s policy, but I'd bet you can get in no problem.

Eurotrash
08-14-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, I totally agree.

Clark, you play poker great, and everybody says you're a class act. I have no reason to have beef with you otherwise, but you're being a [censored] dick. Seriously.

I wasn't in this thread lately because my TV is not near my computer, but Phil has my support to the end in every tournament he enters. He's not a loser. He's an incredible golfer.

Go PHIL!

Bill Murphy
08-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Actually, I think ya might just be able to walk in?! Seem to recall that happening at some tourney. Doesn't seem likely; mebbe it was a Women's Open.

10-15 minutes away, hell, go for it. Won't be a huge crowd on a Monday w/no Tiger.

RacersEdge
08-14-2005, 06:53 PM
I would think that your chances would be very good to get in.

BeerMoney
08-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Worst coverage of a major sporting event i have seen in a while. Commercials every 2 minutes. They're showing shots out of order. Showing guys hitting their tee shots and seconds later are hitting their approach shot.

Homer
08-14-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just go down tomorrow morning...they'll let you in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'll chance it. If I don't get it, at least I'll have gotten up before noon for once.

Bill Murphy
08-14-2005, 07:07 PM
The delay is a huge break for Phold. If he makes that putt I think he'll win by one. God only knows what might've happened had the weather held and all of them staggering around.

No way -2's gonna be good and Tiger ain't gonna say anything all the way home.

Homer
08-14-2005, 08:08 PM
I called the media center and they won't let me in without a sunday ticket. Fuckers.

HDPM
08-14-2005, 08:26 PM
bet a lot of people dump their sunday tix tho. But you have to find one.

RacersEdge
08-14-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bet a lot of people dump their sunday tix tho. But you have to find one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they were probably giving them to whoever asked as they were leaving.

I dunno, find out where the tickets are - a close-by hotel, airport Monday morning..

I can't believe more than 40-50% would be staying around.

andyfox
08-15-2005, 12:54 AM
26 lifetime PGA wins, which is 21st on the all-time list. More than Lee Trevino had, more than Gary Player, Raymond Floyd, or Hale Irwin. Way more than Steve Elkington. Hardly a loser.

Unless Tiger or Phil are in a tournament, it's as exciting as watching grass grow.

Clarkmeister
08-15-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Way more than Steve Elkington.

[/ QUOTE ]

All that matters:

Phil - 1 Major
Elkington - 1 Major

BeerMoney
08-15-2005, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All that matters:

Phil - 1 Major
Elkington - 1 Major

[/ QUOTE ]

How many do Andy North and Lee Janzen have? Major tournaments only have one winner too.

Clarkmeister
08-15-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All that matters:

Phil - 1 Major
Elkington - 1 Major

[/ QUOTE ]

How many do Andy North and Lee Janzen have?

[/ QUOTE ]

More than Phil as of right now.

Bill Murphy
08-15-2005, 10:04 AM
..anyone else watching? Sounds like there may be more weather problems.

Updated predictions:

Phold 40%
Elk 30%
Bjorn 20%
DL3 8%
VJ 2%(he's gotta 10 footer for par, I guess, if he makes it flip him & DL)

Bill Murphy
08-15-2005, 10:07 AM
Think I'll bump Phold up to 70% now... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Wow, 8 whole minutes before the first commercial. Hope they show the one w/the b1tch chained up in her own basement;...I love CBS.

spydog
08-15-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All that matters:

Phil - 1 Major
Elkington - 1 Major

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Jack Nicklaus, Phil has 2 majors.

08-15-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Updated predictions:

Phold 40%
Elk 30%
Bjorn 20%
DL3 8%

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap that shot by Bjorn from the 18th fairway was one of the worst I've ever seen.

DemonDeac
08-15-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Updated predictions:

Phold 40%
Elk 30%
Bjorn 20%
DL3 8%

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap that shot by Bjorn from the 18th fairway was one of the worst I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

still. only god knows how his birdie put didnt go in. golf gods must want Phil to win. hes got an up and down from the tall grass for the win

GO PHIL!!!

Clarkmeister
08-15-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Holy crap that shot by Elkington from the 18th tee was one of the luckiest I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Clarkmeister
08-15-2005, 10:59 AM
bah.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

DougOzzzz
08-15-2005, 11:05 AM
That makes you about 42 for 44.

JTrout
08-15-2005, 11:06 AM
Congratulations to Phil Mickelson, a very deserving champion!

BeerMoney
08-15-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All that matters:

Phil - 1 Major
Elkington - 1 Major

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, never underestimate the luck factor in these things. If a few players didn't hit some lucky shots against greg norman, he very well could have been on his way to winning bunches of Majors.

Early in Tiger's career, he got A LOT of breaks.

andyfox
08-15-2005, 11:45 AM
2 to 1 now. And Phil has now won as many tournaments as Vijay. At a much younger age.

spydog
08-15-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All that matters:

Phil - 1 Major
Elkington - 1 Major

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, never underestimate the luck factor in these things. If a few players didn't hit some lucky shots against greg norman, he very well could have been on his way to winning bunches of Majors.

Early in Tiger's career, he got A LOT of breaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

What breaks? It seems most of his major wins were by multiple shots.

andyfox
08-15-2005, 11:46 AM
"Early in Tiger's career, he got A LOT of breaks.'

Yeah, he's the luckiest golfer alive. They all seem to be shooting higher scores than him most of the time.

andyfox
08-15-2005, 11:49 AM
One year at Pebble Beach, Irwin needed a birdie on 18 to win. He duck hooked onto the rocks on the beach. The ball took one giant bounce 90 degrees right and ended up on the fairway. He birdied from there. Beat the immortal Jim Nelford, which killed me, because Nelford, like me, played right-handed and putted left-handed.

offTopic
08-15-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One year at Pebble Beach, Irwin needed a birdie on 18 to win. He duck hooked onto the rocks on the beach. The ball took one giant bounce 90 degrees right and ended up on the fairway. He birdied from there. Beat the immortal Jim Nelford, which killed me, because Nelford, like me, played right-handed and putted left-handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he eventually switch back? I was in the gallery during the AT&T one year and we were following his group around because a friend of mine was hoping to get Julius Erving's autograph, and I could swear everyone in the group was putting righthanded. Long time ago, though, so I could be wrong...

Eurotrash
08-15-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations to Phil Mickelson, a very deserving champion!

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more. Congratulations, Phil, thanks for a great week of golf.

Here's to many more victories in the future!

touchfaith
08-15-2005, 01:40 PM
So was Tiger's comeback to 4th place...

"Tiger's tournement to lose" with the opening 75,

or...

"He would have only shot PAR..." with the two tough chip-ins...

Either way, he always finds a way to keep it interesting.

andyfox
08-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Don't know. I have a friend who's a much, much better player than I ever was and he used to do the same thing. He's not switched to the belly putter (which he says is akin to cheating). He shot a 69 this weekend.

trying2learn
08-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Phil rules...I don't know how people can root against a guy who is constantly smiling, whether times are good or bad. Clark says that's his problem, but I couldn't disagree more. I think it's the definition of class.

Congrats Phil, here's to many more...

wayabvpar
08-15-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Phil rules...I don't know how people can root against a guy who is constantly smiling, whether times are good or bad. Clark says that's his problem, but I couldn't disagree more. I think it's the definition of class.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am with Clark. Everything about Mickelson gives me the creeps- he is like a bot programmed to be media friendly. I can't stand the guy, even though he plays lefty (as do I, with a slightly lower ability <ahem>). His 'aw shucks' attitude just bugs the [censored] out of me.

trying2learn
08-15-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am with Clark. Everything about Mickelson gives me the creeps- he is like a bot programmed to be media friendly. I can't stand the guy, even though he plays lefty (as do I, with a slightly lower ability <ahem>). His 'aw shucks' attitude just bugs the [censored] out of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

and just like with Clark - we can agree to disagree.

aren't there better targets for people to root against though? I mean, even if "aw shucks" is an act - isn't that better than causing a scene, or cursing or staying stone-faced?

i understand he's let big events get away from him...but to me...that's the model of perseverance. and with two majors in two years, i don't expect he's done yet either.

Clarkmeister
08-16-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
aren't there better targets for people to root against though? I mean, even if "aw shucks" is an act - isn't that better than causing a scene, or cursing or staying stone-faced?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, I hate Peyton Manning even more than Phil.

wayabvpar
08-17-2005, 02:07 PM
I hate Eli Manning more than Peyton Manning, by a long shot. And I hate Phil more than both of them.