PDA

View Full Version : Terrible laydown? long

billygoat
03-24-2003, 11:53 AM
First can i just say hi to all the posters on this forum, i have been an observer for almost a year and posted prior to this login required system was introduced. I always read the likes of fossilman and co's responses with great interest as it is clear these people know their stuff so i hope you will respond to some of my queries.

anyway, my question is about a situation that occured during the latter stages of a local PLHE w/rebuys comp after buyin phase, 300,000 chips in play, approx 30 players left, 9 paid. I have 27,000 approx. dealt AK UTG +3. blinds 100/200, 1 caller before me, i call?, 3 more callers, SB calls and BB raises pot. Now only the BB and UTG have anything like the same stack as me approx 12,000. 1,400 called by UTG and i call everyone else folds. Pot 5,600

Flop Ks 6d 8d, BB bets out 4,000 with about 5K left, UTG goes 4,000 with the rest about 6/7,000 more. Question is what do i do? is this an easy call or as with my move is passing sensible?

Regardless, i passed UTG turned over KJoff and BB had A10 in diamonds KJ stands up and i am cursing my stupidity. oh well. thanks in advance for any responses.

Bozeman
03-24-2003, 01:09 PM
I think folding on the flop is probably wrong because that is what they are expecting since you have shown no strength.

However, it looks like it is much easier to play if you raise one of these cheese holders preflop.

Craig

Greg (FossilMan)
03-24-2003, 05:03 PM
The best question to ask you, is what flop were you hoping for? This is K high, with no straight or flush currently possible, and 2 pair relatively unlikely. This should be your flop almost all the time, or your play would have to have been to fold preflop.

I typically would have raised the original limper, instead of calling behind. If I didn't do that, I would have often reraised the big blind, as his raise will often be a steal play based on the apparent weakness of a field of limpers. Once this flop comes down, I would have put them all-in and hoped nobody had a set or AA.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

ohkanada
03-24-2003, 05:25 PM