PDA

View Full Version : Everyone's favorite reads

willbb99
08-11-2005, 10:58 AM
I was wondering what everyone considered to be the most useful poker books that they have read in their careers. I'm having trouble deciding which ones to read now that I have devoured both volumes of HOH.

Give your top 3 or top 5 or whatever. Thanks.

citanul
08-11-2005, 11:00 AM
do you mean for poker in general, or for sngs?

Hornacek
08-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Cloutier and McEvoy was great at helping my tighen up my game, even if his playing style is considered too tight by some. The Super/Systems are always good and reliable too, if not outdated. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I generally find the Sklansky books helpful, but it takes a while to remember all these scenarios with % that he throws at you.

CollinEstes
08-11-2005, 11:04 AM
I thought this topic was going to be about reading people.

Anyways if you ever play in a live low-limit game then I think Championship Poker by Tom McEvoy is a really good read. Very straight foreward. But really only good for limit cash games.

willbb99
08-11-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
do you mean for poker in general, or for sngs?

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry should've been more specific. I meant the best books for NL SNG's.

Maulik
08-11-2005, 11:23 AM
there is no book for SNGs. also search is a good function. You can apply concepts from almost any book to SNGs.

willbb99
08-11-2005, 11:35 AM
I don't understand. HOH certainly discusses strategy for Sit n Go tournaments right? Also, how I understand how useful the search function is when I already have in mind something concrete to search for but if I am looking for general tips (not the usual Aleomagus type strategy guides) I don't know what to search for.

codewarrior
08-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Marcus Aurelius: The Meditations

And no, I'm not kidding. Read it. The actual, original text isn't that long, the commentary makes the book thick.

pooh74
08-11-2005, 11:47 AM
a catcher in the rye
slaughterhouse five
the book of laughter and forgetting

citanul
08-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Theory of Poker.

Small Stakes Holdem.

Supersystem (1 or 2, it's just the NL section that I find particularly helpful, though I haven't read SS1, so who knows, I may really like DS's section and not know.)

Reuben and Ciaffone is a different sort of book, but has some good stuff wedged in there.

Meh, there's others.

codewarrior
08-11-2005, 11:53 AM
HOH has section on satellite strategy. Satellites are not SnG's, in that they pay the same prize to a number of players, i.e. an entry to a bigger tournament - much different strategy.

lacky
08-11-2005, 01:10 PM
lots of the hand problems in HOH are from sng's

willbb99
08-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks you for confirming that I am not completely insane Lacky. So, now that it has been established that HOH has SNG strategy in it, are there any other books that include it?

Newt_Buggs
08-11-2005, 05:25 PM
curtains and I were just discussing how much we don't like poker books.

I did like caro's book of tells for live play though

axeshigh
08-12-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a catcher in the rye
slaughterhouse five

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah. Did you read Cat's Cradle? Liked it a little better than SH5.

ilya
08-12-2005, 02:21 AM
Reuben & Ciaffone's NL/PL Poker.

Pete H
08-12-2005, 03:06 AM
Theory Of Poker - I'm glad this was the first poker book I bought. Foundation for everything else.

Harrington On Hold 'em 1&2 - Fits my style (not too tight like Clouter/McEvoy) and lots of good hand examples

The Psychology Of Poker - Great book, lots of important stuff I hadn't given much tought

Caro's Book Of Poker Tells - I don't have much live experience after reading this, but I've already seen/used some of the stuff successfully

But I think every poker book I've read has been useful. Even if I disagree with something, it makes me think and that's always good.

Jman28
08-12-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Small Stakes Holdem.

[/ QUOTE ]

For SNGs? Fo' real?!

citanul
08-12-2005, 03:16 AM
for poker. for real.

FieryJustice
08-12-2005, 03:23 AM
I have read about 30 poker books and honestly, not a single one has helped me with sngs, including hoh1 and hoh2. Imo, if I had to pick a "best" book to read though, it would easily be Theory of Poker.

Myst
08-12-2005, 03:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have read about 30 poker books and honestly, not a single one has helped me with sngs, including hoh1 and hoh2. Imo, if I had to pick a "best" book to read though, it would easily be Theory of Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

So youve never used pot odds or bluffed in an Sng before?

Jman28
08-12-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Reuben & Ciaffone's NL/PL Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

45suited
08-12-2005, 03:37 AM
Small Stakes Holdem really taught me alot and got me thinking about the game and evaluating the true strength of hands and flops. I think that it's a great book and a must read for any beginning / intermediate player.

Outside of poker, add me to the Kurt Vonnegut camp as well. My favorite author ever.

Jman28
08-12-2005, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Small Stakes Holdem really taught me alot and got me thinking about the game and evaluating the true strength of hands and flops. I think that it's a great book and a must read for any beginning / intermediate player.

Outside of poker, add me to the Kurt Vonnegut camp as well. My favorite author ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read SSH, but probably not as thouroughly as I should have. I never play limit so, I figured I'd just look at it.

Maybe I'll give it a reread. Or it's first studying.

citanul
08-12-2005, 03:49 AM
i find that a lot of the commentary about playing with bad players that is detailed in SSHE is very useful even in sngs. this is without even mentioning the actual poker stuff, it's just unique i believe amongst the big 2+2 books in the manner in which they detail what it means to play with terrible and just plain bad players. also talks about punishing bad players, and what it means to do so, etc.

that's not very coherent, i know.

citanul

Jman28
08-12-2005, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i find that a lot of the commentary about playing with bad players that is detailed in SSHE is very useful even in sngs. this is without even mentioning the actual poker stuff, it's just unique i believe amongst the big 2+2 books in the manner in which they detail what it means to play with terrible and just plain bad players. also talks about punishing bad players, and what it means to do so, etc.

that's not very coherent, i know.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the gist. Thanks.

Bartman387
08-12-2005, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have read about 30 poker books and honestly, not a single one has helped me with sngs, including hoh1 and hoh2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see how that is possible, unless you already knew all the concepts talked about in it?? Considering, as previously mentioned, that he uses many hand examples specifically from SnG's and because a SnG is basically small tourney

The Yugoslavian
08-12-2005, 04:06 AM
It used to be this. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/dosearch.php?Cat=&Forum=All_Forums&Name=34276&Sear chpage=0&Limit=25&)

Now it is this. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/dosearch.php?Cat=&Forum=All_Forums&Name=24489&Sear chpage=0&Limit=25&)

Enjoy /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Yugoslav

lwspoker69
08-12-2005, 04:06 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with Kurt Vonnegut. Add Breakfast of Champions and God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater to SH5 and Cat's Cradle.

Also, throw in some Kafka/Kerouac/Orwell depending on what your mood is.

45suited
08-12-2005, 04:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It used to be this.

Now it is this. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Enjoy

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Yugo, between the hot women and bringing back TOW7's posts, you are challenging Curtains for the title of my favorite poster.

I read a couple of TOW7's posts that were in the link. I think that they should be required reading after experiencing a bad beat. If they can't bring a smile to your face, nothing can. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

citanul
08-12-2005, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If they can't bring a smile to your face, nothing can. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

apparently i am doomed to never smile again.

citanul

tshort
08-12-2005, 04:41 AM
Yugo,

You just made me laugh my ass off. I should pay you.

-tshort

45suited
08-12-2005, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
apparently i am doomed to never smile again.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Citanul, are you telling me that this classic post does not make you laugh?

[ QUOTE ]
i hear a lot of [censored] being talked. i have a high win ITM and ROI ever sinse i started playing the 11's

PP will show my win rate. someone said my win rate was 35% which i know is really low. would someone want to make a bet that my win rate is higher than X

I.E. a third party that i trust and most of you trust to takes your bets.. you all can pick between a win rate of <30, 30-40, or 40-50 or 50+.. then the 3rd party can make the odds..

or i'll make a bet with irie about my winrate. put the money were the mouth is son.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's not enough, here are just the titles in a quick search of his posts:

"Re: Digging your nose"
"Re: The pockets of jeans today"
"Re: Worst armwrestling movie"
"Re: Jamba juice. How healthy?"
"TOW7 needs toilet paper"

And my all time favorite...

"Re: Dog bites vagina"

I rest my case. Thanks again Yugo. /images/graemlins/grin.gif