PDA

View Full Version : online pasport services

Shajen
08-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Anyone have any experience with any of the online passport sites?

I'm heading to Jamaica on the 31st and while it says I can use my birth certificate and driver's license, I'd rather go the passport route. Looking for recommendations if you guys/gals have any.

Danke.

Los Feliz Slim
08-11-2005, 10:51 AM
You can easily get one through a regular passport office, I think it's $60 or something like that to put a rush on it. Probably no need to pay a 3rd party.

Shajen
08-11-2005, 11:08 AM
everything I've read so far shows it takes 4-6 weeks at a minimum...is this wrong? I've got about 18 days or so, don't want to chance it.

If you know this for fact then I'll definitely go this route. Thanks for the info.

KaneKungFu123
08-11-2005, 11:13 AM
those websites are about replacing your passport, or getting a new passort if you had one that is expired.

i dont think they can get you your first passport, youll have to do that at a passport agency.

i think they have speed-option like 2 weeks, or 4 weeks.

Shajen
08-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Nah, they can get you new ones too, at least they say they can. Just was wondering if any are more reputable than others.

thanks

TomCollins
08-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Where do you live? I know you can go to Houston and get one the same day. I believe Washington and possibly Chicago also have offices that you can get them in instantly.

Shajen
08-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Atlanta.
I did a quick search and there are several offices around, but I don't know if they can do it quickly or not. Guess I get to enter the system and call them.

Thanks.

TomCollins
08-11-2005, 11:41 AM
You will need to go to the Post Office, or some other place, and pay the fee and everything. I think it's $60 extra to get Rush Service. You can take this packet to the real passport office (I think it has to do with the state department)and they can get you a passport immediately. You can also use a service from a company to get a rush passport. Basically, they will do the work of getting it to the State Dept. and Fed Ex. it back to you. Depending on how fast you want it, it probably will cost an extra $70 or so to do this.

I got a passport in about 8 days this way, and think it cost $150 total? I don't know why you don't want to just use your birth certificate.

Shajen
08-11-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why you don't want to just use your birth certificate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mainly because I don't know if the copy I have is the actual certified copy, I think it was just Xeroxed. That and I plan to travel outside the US more often now, and I may as well go ahead and get one.

Thanks for the info dude, much appreciated.