PDA

View Full Version : Did I made a mistake?

Hung
03-24-2003, 05:01 AM
A guy tricked me. It was very well played. Game was NL HE 6 handed. 80 players only 10 players left. Only last tables gets a share of the prizepool which was $1200. Blinds were 200-400. I was second in chips the whole tournament and went down to last with 5500 left.
I'm on BB and have KQo. A guy raises the bb once. 400 for me to call. I think maybe he has small connectors or a mediumpair. If he had AK or AQ he would have raised more. So I decide to call and see the flop. The flop is 2 K 2. That's not so bad. Only AK would beat me. He can't have a 2. He bets and I raise a little. He calls and turn is another 2. So flop is 2 K 2 2. I have a fullhouse. But I think he has the same. So there's no kickerproblem. He goes all-in. Very well played, because he knew I had a K. And I had to call to split. But he was holding AA. I lost my whole stack and finished 10th place. I could have waited for better hand and steal a few blinds. I would have got final table for sure. I was so close. 1st prize was more then $500. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Martin Aigner
03-24-2003, 07:56 AM
I donīt know the player, but especially on final tables these mini raises often mean only one thing: "Nuts". Especially when playing against a short stack. I think I would have folded the KQ here (although a very close decission) to try to get my money in as a raiser. The other option might be to move all in, but this works only when there is a reasonable chance that the raiser mucks a better hand than yours.

Anyway, on the flop you made a big mistake. There were 1800 in the pot and you had either 5100 or 4700 left (I donīt know whether the 5500 were after posting the blind or not). You checked, he bet and you raised small!. Move in or muck. You donīt have enough chips to raise small (unless you have AA, KK, K2 or 22 in this szenario).

Turn: Well, you had to call of course, since you were short stacked. But lets assume both of you had 20k in chips, and the other one moves in on you. In this case I think you should muck. He called a checkraise, so you probably call a rather small pot to be behind or go for a tie.

Just my thoughts

Martin Aigner

RiverMel
03-24-2003, 09:57 AM
I think maybe he has small connectors or a mediumpair. If he had AK or AQ he would have raised more.

This is just wrong, plain and simple. Be very suspicious of limpers and small raises late in tournaments. You have absolutely no reason to think he has "small connectors" in this situation, unless you witnessed the same player make raises with these cards previously. It would be very, very unusual for a player to come in with a small raise with small connectors (or really, any raise at all with small connectors, unless he were in LP and very aggressive). Same goes with small/low-medium pair. People don't want to see the flop with a small pair at that point in the tournament.