PDA

View Full Version : matchstick men

THATWACOKID
08-11-2005, 04:00 AM
ok, so i just got done watching the movie matchstick men. i thought it was pretty good, but the last part completely lost me. were the psychiatrist, his partner, his daughter, and the guy he tried to con all in it together? the part that confused me the most was when he goes back to see his wife and she says that she lost the baby before she was born. then he sees his daughter a year later all grown up and she acts like everything really did happen.

anyone who's seen this please help me make some sense outta this.

billyjex
08-11-2005, 04:03 AM
dude u must be slow.

they were all conning Cage. he see's his "daughter" but he knows it's not his daughter. but he still has an affinity for her.

THATWACOKID
08-11-2005, 04:12 AM
thanks.

i didn't see the first part when he originally meets up with his daughter so i'm thinking that's what caused the confusion.

08-11-2005, 12:29 PM
She's not really his daughter. She's conning him.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Why do people even watch movies with Nicholas Cage in them? I realized the folly in this a long time ago and have since been a much happier person.

HopeydaFish
08-11-2005, 12:48 PM
What did you think of his performance in Leaving Las Vegas?

I can't think of anything he's done since then that isn't cringe-inducing.

astroglide
08-11-2005, 01:10 PM
adaptation was fantastic. and i thought matchstick men was fun enough.

Alobar
08-11-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do people even watch movies with Nicholas Cage in them? I realized the folly in this a long time ago and have since been a much happier person.

[/ QUOTE ]

cage is a HORRIBLE actor, I will agree. But his movies are usually pretty good. Prooves that variance is alive and well in other things besides poker. Look at Kevin Cotner, hes a horrrible actor, and all his movies suck. Cage runs g00t

HopeydaFish
08-11-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
adaptation was fantastic. and i thought matchstick men was fun enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right...I'd forgotten totally about Adaptation. He actually gave an amazing performance in that movie. 8MM was a dumb movie, but he actually wasn't that bad in it.

Cage plays losers in life much better than he plays heroes.

keats
08-11-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a self proclaimed hater of Nic Cage I do have to admit he did an excellent job in this movie.

swede123
08-11-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Look at Kevin Costner, hes a horrrible actor, and all his movies suck. Cage runs g00t

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a bith harsh. I liked Tin Cup, Bull Durham is pretty awesome, and even Open Range is OK. Sure, he's made a lot of really crappy ones, but there's some gems out there if you look hard enough.

Swede

Benal
08-11-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and the guy he tried to con

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think he was in on it..

tek
08-11-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
adaptation was fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brief plot review, thanks.

Cosimo
08-11-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Brief plot review, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tagline: Charlie Kaufman writes the way he lives... With Great Difficulty. His Twin Brother Donald Lives the way he writes... with foolish abandon. Susan writes about life... But can't live it. John's life is a book... Waiting to be adapted. One story... Four Lives... A million ways it can end.

Plot Outline: A lovelorn screenwriter turns to his less talented twin brother for help when his efforts to adapt a non-fiction book go nowhere.

(from imdb)

Haven't seen it. This doesn't make me want to.

edtost
08-11-2005, 06:51 PM
you suck at imdb:

Meet Roy and Frank, a couple of professional small-time con artists. What Roy, a veteran of the grift, and Frank, his ambitious protégé, are swindling these days are "water filtration systems," bargain-basement water filters bought by unsuspecting people who pay ten times their value in order to win bogus prizes like cars, jewelry and overseas vacations--which they never collect. These scams net the flim-flam men a few hundred here, another thousand there, which eventually adds up to a lucrative partnership. Roy's private life, however, is not so successful. An obsessive-compulsive agoraphobe with no personal relationships to call his own, Roy is barely hanging on to his wits, and when his idiosyncrasies begin to threaten his criminal productivity he's forced to seek the help of a psychoanalyst just to keep him in working order. While Roy is looking for a quick fix, his therapy begets more than he bargained for: the revelation that he has a teenage daughter--a child whose existence he suspected but never dared confirm. What's more troubling, 14-year-old Angela wants to meet the father she never knew. At first, Angela's appearance disrupts her neurotic father's carefully ordered routine. Soon, however, with his own unique spin on parenthood, Roy begins to enjoy a relationship he never dreamed of having with his daughter. But while he develops paternal feelings for the 14-year-old, she's developing a fascination with Daddy's questionable career.

smokingrobot
08-11-2005, 06:53 PM
adaptation was fantastic cuz charlie kaufman pens some amazing [censored].