PDA

View Full Version : Help with 2001fp LCD monitors

08-11-2005, 03:49 AM
I am going to purchase two dell 2001fp LCD monitors to 8 table with. I am going to hook them up to my Dell latitude D505 laptop which has an Intel® 855GME integrated UMA graphics chipset.

I know nothing about computers and was wondering what types of cords/wires/etc. are needed to hook both monitors up together and hook them to my laptop. I was also wondering if this graphics card is good enough to support these monitors or if it needs to be upgraded. (I only need this to be able to run 8 tables, I don't need it to be able to run games).

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

BBill
08-11-2005, 08:39 PM
The monitors should come with any necessary cables, but unless there is something you are not explaining, you can not run two monitors from a laptop

08-12-2005, 03:29 AM
I didn't know that the monitors came with the cables needed, thanks. I wanted to dock the laptop and hook it up to two monitors (which would be connected), is that possible? The problem is my laptop screen doesn't go up to 1600x1200 so when i have four tables on that screen they overlap badly.

BBill
08-12-2005, 08:43 AM
IF the laptop supports it you can plug in a monitor and have the laptop LCD and the attached monitor work as you say. But you can not attach 2 monitors to your laptop. Cabling the monitors together will not work or accomplish what you want if you could do that.
If you had a desktop pc you could put in 2 video cards and attach 2 monitors,
Is that what you mean?

TheTROLL
08-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Didn't somebody post a link a few weeks back to some product that would plug into a laptop and allow multiple separate monitors to be used?

mittman84
08-12-2005, 07:10 PM
if that is true could someone PLEASE post a link(i couldnt find it) Thanks a lot.

mittman84
08-13-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't somebody post a link a few weeks back to some product that would plug into a laptop and allow multiple separate monitors to be used?

[/ QUOTE ]
Bump. Could someone please post the link, I have had no luck searching myself. Please and thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TheTROLL
08-15-2005, 10:18 AM
Can't find the thread either, but this (http://digitaltigers.com/sidecar-plusfour.shtml) is the device it linked to.

Edit: *HOW* MUCH?!!

MyMindIsGoing
08-15-2005, 10:33 AM
For that price it is better to buy a whole new computer with four dvi outs. And by the way, it does not even support dvi mode in 1600*1200.

Deathbear
08-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Edit: whoops I see you were talking about the switcher.

MyMindIsGoing
08-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Yeah, man what a expencive peice of crap. Built on ancient Matrox techology. I was a big fan of Matrox a few years back, and still think they have high qualiy stuff, they just lag a few years behind the rest. Not even 1600*1200 in DVI mode, muahaha.

08-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Bill, yeah that's what I wanted to do (except with my laptop); have the one desktop image be split between two monitors. Like I said I know nothing about computers and didn't realize two video cards were needed to do this and didn't know that this wasn't possible with a laptop. Thanks for the help.

08-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Wow, that price is ridiculous...would anyone really pay that much?? Why not just get a new computer for that price lol. Thanks for digging up the link though.

Does anyone know of any other (and cheaper /images/graemlins/wink.gif ) products to allow two monitors to be set up to a laptop? Or am I just gonna have to buy a new computer to 8 table with no overlap?

08-15-2005, 07:09 PM
After searching around a bit I found a product for around 250$ that seems like it might work.
VTbook (http://www.villagetronic.com/index.html) seems like it allows an additional external monitor. Does anyone know anything about this product or if it will work?

smartalecc5
08-15-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can't find the thread either, but this (http://digitaltigers.com/sidecar-plusfour.shtml) is the device it linked to.

Edit: *HOW* MUCH?!!

[/ QUOTE ]

2k is how much!!!

08-17-2005, 10:02 AM
I have the same problem. I have a Dell Lattitude and a Dell Lattitude C/Dock II docking station, with two PCI slots. I want perhaps get a cheap dual monitor graphics card that supports 1600x1200 on two monitors and put it in the docking station. Anyone have suggestions?

I think it should be possible to get something sub $100..

08-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Has anyone heard of VTbook? Or does anyone know of any other products that aren't ridiculously expensive that allow two monitors to be hooked up to a laptop?

MyMindIsGoing
08-19-2005, 04:24 AM
Newegg has alot of PCI cards (althoigh none with two dvi, but with one vga and one dvi) that should work. All of them are under $100 (most around $50)