PDA

View Full Version : Are puppies smart enough to do this?

plaster8
08-11-2005, 03:04 AM
We just got a golden retriever puppy, which we are housetraining. She gets a treat when she goes to the bathroom outside, which she has gotten pretty good at doing.

However, a couple of times tonight I could swear she just squatted for a few seconds, didn't pee, then came over to collect her reward. It was dark, I couldn't see that well, and I can't tell if she actually peed or not.

So are puppies smart enough to pull someting like that? Or am I just losing my mind in the midst of all the whining/barking/pooping/peeing? (Having a puppy has made me wonder if my wife and I will ever have a kid -- this is a LOT of work.)

siccjay
08-11-2005, 03:15 AM
I would say yes, they could do that.

LBJ
08-11-2005, 03:44 AM
I'm positive that they are smart enough to do that. I have a dog and when it takes something it shouldn't take, we give it a treat to drop the object. I know he steals and grabs wrappers, trash, etc. just to collect the treat.

zephed
08-11-2005, 03:54 AM
Yes.

tdarko
08-11-2005, 04:12 AM
yes.

i have a border collie and i am certain it is smarter than most people on this forum.

mantasm
08-11-2005, 04:18 AM
They're definitely smart enough to do this. It won't take long before she figures out she only gets a treat when she squats and goes to the bathroom on the grass and nowhere else.

theBruiser500
08-11-2005, 04:19 AM
that is awesome and part of why dogs (golden retrievews in particular) are better than cats

invictus33
08-11-2005, 05:04 AM
Ever hear of Pavlov?

Jeff W
08-11-2005, 05:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a dog and when it takes something it shouldn't take, we give it a treat to drop the object.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your training method is retarded. You are rewarding the dog for misbehavior.

08-11-2005, 05:35 AM
That is some seriously messed up stuff. Awesome, though. Got a good laugh out of it.

TheIrishThug
08-11-2005, 08:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That is some seriously messed up stuff. Awesome, though. Got a good laugh out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, r u using this as a real account now?

DonBaker
08-11-2005, 08:20 AM
yes they are..

RunDownHouse
08-11-2005, 09:08 AM
While we're on the topic, maybe someone - Jeff W, perhaps - could help me with my puppy problem. The dog is about 6.5 months old now, and pretty well housebroken. The only times she goes inside is if we are ignoring her completely, and then she just piddles a little by the door.

But recently she's picked up a very strange habit. She's taken to peeing at the top of the stairs, regardless of when she last when out to pee or anything else. She could have just gotten back inside from peeing, and 10 minutes later, she'll go upstairs and pee a little bit at the top. Its not every time, but its gotten worse, to where maybe 1/3 of the time she'll do it. Its not always in the same place, but generally either in the small area at the top of the stairs or actually on the top 2-3 stairs.

Any ideas?

irishpint
08-11-2005, 09:09 AM
your dog owns you.

samjjones
08-11-2005, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
that is awesome and part of why dogs (golden retrievews in particular) are better than cats

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, at least I don't have to wake up early to let my cat out to poop...

DonBaker
08-11-2005, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
While we're on the topic, maybe someone - Jeff W, perhaps - could help me with my puppy problem. The dog is about 6.5 months old now, and pretty well housebroken. The only times she goes inside is if we are ignoring her completely, and then she just piddles a little by the door.

But recently she's picked up a very strange habit. She's taken to peeing at the top of the stairs, regardless of when she last when out to pee or anything else. She could have just gotten back inside from peeing, and 10 minutes later, she'll go upstairs and pee a little bit at the top. Its not every time, but its gotten worse, to where maybe 1/3 of the time she'll do it. Its not always in the same place, but generally either in the small area at the top of the stairs or actually on the top 2-3 stairs.

Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

only 1 solution

http://mr.open-publishing.be/uploads/2004/07/dead_dog_nessie.jpg

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-11-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We just got a golden retriever puppy, which we are housetraining. She gets a treat when she goes to the bathroom outside, which she has gotten pretty good at doing.

However, a couple of times tonight I could swear she just squatted for a few seconds, didn't pee, then came over to collect her reward. It was dark, I couldn't see that well, and I can't tell if she actually peed or not.

So are puppies smart enough to pull someting like that? Or am I just losing my mind in the midst of all the whining/barking/pooping/peeing? (Having a puppy has made me wonder if my wife and I will ever have a kid -- this is a LOT of work.)

[/ QUOTE ]
My boxer did that. He figured it out pretty quickly, too.

CollinEstes
08-11-2005, 10:03 AM
Yes, I think Goldens are one of the smartest breeds, along with the before-mentioned border collies.

Got to get your hand under than feel for dampness.

Sifmole
08-11-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I think Goldens are one of the smartest breeds, along with the before-mentioned border collies.

Got to get your hand under than feel for dampness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Golden's are wonderful, fun, loving family dogs -- but they are most definitely not even in the top ten of smart dogs. Border-collies are definitely top three ( if not first ) -- they kick-butt.

davelin
08-11-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a dog and when it takes something it shouldn't take, we give it a treat to drop the object.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your training method is retarded. You are rewarding the dog for misbehavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a typical training technique that we just learned for our puppy. The key is that you want the dog to associate dropping something out of it's mouth with something good so it will willingly do this in the future. So you start with a treat combined with the command "drop". Soon the puppy learns to do it just with the command and without the treat.

08-11-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Vigilance...watch the dog carefully and when she attempts to pee on the steps grab her and take her outside or wherever she is supposed to pee, everytime and she will get the message. This is how professionals house train dogs. book (http://barnesandnoble.bfast.com/booklink/click?sourceid=371225&ISBN=0525245545)
I actually had his book" Gun Dog" and that is the method he used.

08-11-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Treats are unnecessary..vigilance is the answer. Read my other post in this thread.

Robbe
08-11-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ever hear of Pavlov?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, the name rings a bell.

HopeydaFish
08-11-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yes.

i have a border collie and i am certain it is smarter than most people on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your dog could be a total retard and your above statement would still be correct.

Indiana
08-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Ive got a 2 yr old Golden Ret. and he's the smartest dog Ive ever had. I don't know if all dogs are smart enough to pull this stuff, but Golden Ret.'s sure as hell are. I think that emotionally they are the closest to humans and have a strange sense of knowing what u are feeling and how to manipulate it.

Dam this response sounds strange,

Indy

HopeydaFish
08-11-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ever hear of Pavlov?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Groan.

(Sigh...sadly, this made me laugh)

JinX11
08-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Yes, they will do this; my dog still does this. In fact, he'll even life his leg now and stand there momentarily. The tell is that when he actually goes, his tail stands up.

I have to scold him for not peeing to make him actually go pee now. That or kick the [censored] out of him. It's sad. Effin dogs.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-11-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ever hear of Pavlov?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This was terrible.

colgin
08-11-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fake peeing is nothing compared to some of the manipulative tricks my older cat can do.

ChipWrecked
08-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Cats are smart enough to refuse to be 'trained' in the first place.

Cats > Dogs

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Yes. Let's all argue over whether cats or dogs are better and which is smarter. Also, I'd like to hear more about why retrievers are the smartest pet you can have.

astarck
08-11-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ever hear of Pavlov?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This was terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope by terrible you mean funny. Sadly, I laughed too.

Shajen
08-11-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. Let's all argue over whether cats or dogs are better and which is smarter. Also, I'd like to hear more about why retrievers are the smartest pet you can have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pavlov's experiments with cats went something along the lines of:

Day 1: Rang bell. Cat stared at me. Didn't eat.

Day 2: Rang bell. Cat yawned.

Day 3: Rang bell, but cat put paw on bell so it only made a 'thunk' sound.

Day 4: Rang bell, cat said he'd eaten earlier.

Day 5: Tried to ring bell, but cat had taken batteries out of bell.

Day 6: Cat rang bell. I ate food.

Now: for teh win:

dancing dog (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.html) (probably a repost)

Fabian
08-11-2005, 02:35 PM
I didn't get it until Patrick commented on it. Then I laughed too /images/graemlins/frown.gif

touchfaith
08-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Easily smart enough.

Haven't you seen the dog jail break video? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/...storyid=3714830)

Ringo_Mojo
08-11-2005, 03:38 PM
I'm pretty fond of the Skatboarding Bulldog. (http://www.skateboardingbulldog.com/sktrb6.5.wmv)