PDA

View Full Version : Women's Golf Today

HDPM
03-24-2003, 12:32 AM
I flipped around today and caught some of the women's golf. I could not believe how bad some of the short game play was. They had a lot of trouble on certain chips and pitches, as well as long putts. I was watching only some of the tape delay men's golf because it was a tape delay, but when you see faxon or woods chip and putt vs. Annika, Se Ri, and Grace, the difference was astounding. This topic has come up before about the relative strength of the men's game over the women, and I know some people were surprised at some opinions (mine included) that said Annika's biggest disadvantage in her foray to the PGA Tour would be the short game. If they tuck the pins at Colonial and get the speed of the greens up, I think Annika may look horrible around the greens. At the women's course today the greens were slow and the pins were stuck in the middle of them. And the players hit an assortment of shots around the greens I could not believe came from people who make money at the game. I still don't know why this is, but by PGA Tour standards, the shortgames I saw today were D- to F. Maybe she'll do better than I expect, but if the conditions around the greens are tough, Annika's chances of doing anything at Colonial are slim.

Bill Murphy
03-24-2003, 10:57 PM
So say Butch Harmon, so say we all.