PDA

View Full Version : PokerTracker saves my sanity->How can my perception of play be so off?

AA suited
08-11-2005, 02:04 AM
i started playing the 109's and losing. went down to the 33's for confidence building, but my perception was that i was winning less than i normally do.

went back to the 109's, but kept bleeding $.

so i decide to import results to see how badly i'm playing.

56 33's
43% ITM
41% ROI /images/graemlins/ooo.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Holy... I thought i had about 10% ROI.

Now i'm feeling better.

My only explanation about how my perception can be so off (by 30% ROI) from the actual results is that my bankroll isnt growing much, thus i think i'm not doing that well.

i also thought i was doing alot worse than i actually am at the 109's. I guess I dont give enough credit to those 1st place finishes.

tigerite
08-11-2005, 05:12 AM
56 isn't much, of course (but then you know that). I had similar stats over about 70.. now I'm over 100 they've settled down to about 41% ITM, 28% ROI (still very reasonable.. but still too small a sample size)

AA suited
08-11-2005, 10:56 AM
yeah, 56 games isnt any significant sample size.

but the purpose of this post is how i thought i was doing poorly in those 56 games and feeling down. but thx to the tracking program, i was actually killing the game.

geez.. how the hell do you underestimate roi by 30%? /images/graemlins/confused.gif but that is much better than overestimating by 30%... lol

Freudian
08-11-2005, 11:19 AM
I know why this is. It is because when you get knocked out it is a somewhat memorable situation. I have a solid win rate lately but it feels like I'm wading through mud. Because almost every time I get knocked out I am favourite to win and they draw out on me. So it feels like variance is raping me.

And the times I win the tourney don't really stick in my mind because hey - that is supposed to happen.

Newt_Buggs
08-11-2005, 06:05 PM
I tried not looking at my stats regularly but I found that I almost always felt like I had done worse at the end of the day than I actually had.