PDA

View Full Version : 5/10 6max, AKs, i never make any money on these

fisherman112
08-11-2005, 01:18 AM
more of a general strategy question than only concerning this hand, but i feel like i never get full value in this situation, how do you all play it?

hero in bb with A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif

villain opens for 40 from first position
folds around to hero who makes it 110
villain calls

J /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

your line for the rest of the hand and why?

- if villain bets flop
- if villain doesnt bet flop

kagame
08-11-2005, 01:50 AM
you have to pray villain has QQ with a heart, JJ, or a stubborn ass AA/KK

a check call from you is going to look just as strong as a bet, youre supposed to continuation bet, so do so

so heres my action tree:

Bet Out, If:

A. Raised, just call, lead turn/check turn 50/50

B. Just called, check turn

C. Folded to, curse in anger and frustration ;-)

This changes based upon my read of the other players holding strength of course, but on average against a reasonable/average opponent, yeah

fisherman112
08-11-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

a check call from you is going to look just as strong as a bet, youre supposed to continuation bet, so do so

[/ QUOTE ]

why is this a given? i check enough flops when ive raised for it not to look suspcious. ive found that waaaaaay too often if you flop top set, broadway with AK or a nut flush when you've reraised preflop, you bet out and the other player folds. cant a check/call also look like a scared overpair that wants to make sure to see a cheap showdown. im not saying this is a standard line but why not mix that in occassionally.
it follows that one occassionally has to actually do this with a scared overpair, which is another story entirely.

edge
08-11-2005, 02:09 AM
Looks like the pot should have 225 on the flop. I bet out 200 and probably push if raised. I'd do the same with A/images/graemlins/heart.gifA, K/images/graemlins/heart.gifK, JJ, maybe Q/images/graemlins/heart.gifQ and quite possibly AA no draw. If called, I push the turn.

I bet almost every flop after raising preflop, so a check would be very suspicious and dumb for me. If you sometimes check after reraising on a very dangerous board (who does this?) then I guess it's ok, but check/calling the flop will probably not result in stacking the other guy.

kagame
08-11-2005, 06:12 AM
the point in NL is to win the biggest pots

yes, they often fold, but you need to maximize value when villain has something he'll go with

Niwa
08-11-2005, 08:36 AM
A bet looks weaker than a check/call.