PDA

View Full Version : Review: Harrington on Hold 'Em: Strategic Play (Volume I)

08-10-2005, 11:42 PM
This book has to be the best source of information on the market for those looking to improve their NLHE tournament play. One thing that I find annoying about some poker books is they make long-winded speeches about advanced concepts rather than creating situations in which they can be applied. This is not the case in HOH I. While he does cover many concepts pertinent to NLHE tourney play extensively, most of the book is filled with actual hands containing specific details required to make an informed decision (Pot size, betting action, pot odds, player history, and a thourough analysis of an opponent's possible holdings).

The genius of this book lies in Harrington's ability to explain the thought process behind his choices in hands. He really takes you inside his mind, and this alone can enhance your poker skill. I recently played in an 8-player home STT with a bunch of friends (who are moderately proficient at the game of poker). By thoroughly dissecting every hand as Dan Harrington would, I found myself making plays that I had never made before. I learned that when playing against loose aggressive players, I should only tighten my starting requirements. Before reading this book, I allowed myself to be pushed around by LAGs post-flop. Harrington's insight helped me fill a MAJOR hole in my game. Since reading this book (I finished reading it a month ago), I have not failed to place ITM in my friendly games (3 of them). Now, I understand that friendly home tournaments are not necessarily the best way to test the validity of a book's advice and that 3 trials is a very small sample, I have definitely noticed an improvemnt in my play. I think that it is a must for the following types of players: limit players making the switch to NL and semi-experienced novices (like me). This book is probably too simplistic for intermediate-advanced players, and definitely misses on some basic concepts (extensive outs and odds calculations) to be useful to the true beginner.

Overall Grade: A-minus; almost an A, but his neglect of more advanced concepts and even some simple ones leaves me a little dissatisfied. Since Vol II contains more adavnced concepts, it probably makes up for some of that deficiency.