PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Page 2 Bill Simmons (Low Content)

XXXNoahXXX
08-10-2005, 11:16 PM
"When you're at a table where everyone knows how to play -- and by the way, just about everyone knows how to play now -- it's 90 percent luck! You might as well write columns giving the play-by-play of a scratch card you scratched off outside a convenience store."-Bill Simmons

Fellow Holy Cross Alumni and sports columnist Bill Simmons commenting on the uselessness of poker columns and articles. Do people really still not get that poker is not 90% luck? Until people start realizing that it is 100% luck, we'll get nowhere.

ThaHero
08-11-2005, 12:39 AM
I agree.

Nice avatar, btw.

smb394
08-11-2005, 01:02 AM
ESPN comes through once again /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ZBTHorton
08-11-2005, 03:27 AM
BillSimmons is a complete badass.

He is COMPLETELY wrong here though.

4_2_it
08-11-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You might as well write columns giving the play-by-play of a scratch card you scratched off outside a convenience store.-Bill Simmons

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I tune in for this? It's an idea whose time has come. We just need to get the right play-by-play man. Hmmm, wonder if Hellmuth is available?

Rosie5
08-11-2005, 12:41 PM
yes a game where you make every single decision is entirely based on luck

there IS luck but it mostly exists in the short term. Jesus said it best, in a given hand the luck vs skill may be 0%, but over a year it's likely >90%

The only poker this guy knows is what he sees on TV where you have a ton of preflop all ins. PERIOD.

He hears poker and thinks Ak vs QQ coinflip...

XXXNoahXXX
08-11-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BillSimmons is a complete badass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I'm a huge fan, but this was definitely a lame comment. Either he's clueless about poker or just wanted to use the scratch ticket line, because despite its intent, I still laughed out loud while reading it.

peterchi
08-11-2005, 01:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/050810

"We know that you can get screwed over on the river ... it happens. We know that you can get lucky on the river ... it happens. But if I have to read one more column about how the writer had three jacks, and he thought they would hold up, but then somebody else was going for a straight, and then when he saw that 7 of hearts, he knew it was trouble ... for the love of God, who cares??? It's poker! "

good.

"When you're at a table where everyone knows how to play -- and by the way, just about everyone knows how to play now -- it's 90 percent luck!"

bad.

"You might as well write columns giving the play-by-play of a scratch card you scratched off outside a convenience store."

good.

"(And if you're going to keep writing them, at least make fun of everyone else at your table. Your average poker player looks like he should be holding a squeegee at a stoplight in Manhattan, scalping tickets outside of Edison Field, pushing a hot dog truck in Hartford or chain-smoking outside of a VD clinic waiting for his granddaughter to come out. This needs to be mentioned at all times. Repeat: All times.)"

insanely good.

"Also, how hard can it be to play poker for a living when Jennifer Tilly, Tobey Maguire and Ben Affleck have won major tournaments?"

bad.

"Even in a sport like golf, when the celebrities play with the pros, they're clearly inferior (just watch HBO's excellent show about Ray Romano and Kevin James trying to make the cut at Pebble Beach)."

good.

"In poker, anyone can become a pro -- you just need enough cash to get started and a ton of time on your hands."

bad.