PDA

View Full Version : Peter Luger Trip Report

Wintermute
08-10-2005, 11:13 PM
Arrived 15 min early for 8:45 reservation. Send us to bar, get 2 Brooklyn Lagers, place is fcuking packed so I assume we'll be waiting around 30 minutes.

5 minutes later they seat us.

Waiter offers us menus, we decline despite having never been before. Order two strips bacon, porterhouse for 3, hash browns, creamed spinach. Waiter nods/smirks knowingly.

Bacon: slightly disappointing. Decent flavor, A+ for preparation; however, if I want to eat Canadian food, I'll go to Canadia. For some reason I thought this would be American swine, it was not.

Creamed spinach: fcuking incredible. Great flavor, consistency, etc.

Hash browns: also excellent.

Steak: incredibly, it was partially slightly overcooked (ordered medium rare). The 3-person serving amounted to two large porterhouse cuts... one was fine, the other was slightly overcooked. For quantity reference, it was basically a double serving of a cut that was slightly smaller than the snapshot Megantw posted the other day. Overall, the steak was certainly delicious, but not cracking top 5 steaks I've ever had.

Atmosphere: no frills, all business, we liked it.

Service: top marks--very competent without being obsequious in any way

Overall: top 100 lifetime meal, top 15 steak dinner; not mind-blowing in any way, somewhat disappointing given the hype.

cokehead
08-10-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Overall, the steak was certainly delicious, but not cracking top 5 steaks I've ever had.

[/ QUOTE ]

not even top 5? that's harsh.

Luv2DriveTT
08-11-2005, 12:39 AM
A trip to Luger's is nothing without a report on the Whipped Cream and the Strudel.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Wintermute
08-11-2005, 12:49 AM
It was great... just not fantastic. Somewhere in 6-10.