PDA

View Full Version : $33's bubble with committed shortstack

otctrader
08-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Neither of the two bigstacks have shown any hyper-aggressive tendencies with the shortie around; just a few preflop minraises here and there. Certainly no guarantee SB will take a shot at BB if I fold. Shortie in BB will call any 2 w/95% certainty.

Total number of players : 4
Seat 1: SB ( $3345 )
Seat 2: BB ( $675 )
Seat 3: Hero/UTG ( $1740 )
Seat 4: Button ( $2240 )
Blinds(150/300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 6c 6h ]

My action...

Shillx
08-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Given what we know, you have a calculated push here. There are lots of ways that it could go wrong, but if you feel like your raise will get repsect then you should move in (and it should if they are good players, you are not pushing air into 3 players including a short stack in this spot). The problem is that you will sometimes see the big stack call with QJ or whatever, and if that is liable to happen, you should throw it away.

Brad

HelmetCrash
08-11-2005, 12:31 AM
Tough decision. Is there any merit to raising $600, and then folding of SB pushes all in? It seems like this is one of the few circumstance where a min raise instead of a push could be considered, especially if the SB doesn't appear to be messing too much with the small stacks.

Paul Thomson
08-11-2005, 12:39 AM
i'm with helmet there. i'd put in a minimum, and if the SB moves in and the BB calls. Then I'm going to call. Because if he busts both of us, then you still take third. but if your hand holds up, then you'll be in decent position. not sure if this is a good line, but makes sense in my head. Don't ask me what i'll do next time, when the SB moves in and the BB folds, forcing me to fold. yikes.

gl.

Shillx
08-11-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tough decision. Is there any merit to raising $600, and then folding of SB pushes all in? It seems like this is one of the few circumstance where a min raise instead of a push could be considered, especially if the SB doesn't appear to be messing too much with the small stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty novice play here IMO. We don't want to play a pot in this spot. By raising to T600, one of the big boys might call us or just move in. This would be terrible given that we don't have many chips ourselves.

These plays (either raising or even limping) gain momentum when you have more chips, but not as many as the chip leader. So you can raise-fold and still have a decent stack to work with. Those 600 chips mean a lot to us now, so if we do anything it should be push to try and get it HU against the BB.

If we had 3000 chips, we could raise to 700 and fold to a push or even call 300 and fold to a raise. Those chips are just too valuable here to risk giving away to a weak hand that is looking to steal our chips (knowing that we can't afford to call in this spot).

Brad

HelmetCrash
08-11-2005, 01:02 AM
Thanks, your reasoning makes it pretty easy to understand why this is not a good play.